PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone...

parson48
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I was reading an interesting thread in Casting. Someone referenced possibly having a Marlin 444 barrel put on a 44 mag. Has anyone ever done this? If so, what was the result?

Are the 444 barrels usually oversized too?

I have a fairly new 1894 with most of the oversized bore, lack of accuracy problems that others have posted about. I would certainly be interested in something that would enable me get some accuracy out of this gun without having to use custom ammo.

parson48

Scrounger
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
For a couple of reasons there would be little advantage to buying a Marlin .444 Barrel to put on an 1894. It would be a gunsmith operation. The chamber would have to be cut off, at least 2-1/2 inches. It would need to be rethreaded and rechambered. All of your sight cuts and screws as well as the magazine tube attachments would be in the wrong place. The label on the barrel would be wrong. The cost, whether you do it (if you can) or hire it done, would equal or exceed that of buying a good Douglas or Shilen barrel blank and starting from scratch. I'd much rather have the Douglas barrel.

Four Fingers of Death
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
That's the sort of job you do when you get a barrel that has been pulled off another rifle and is free or real cheap. I'd agree with Scrounger, a new barrel would get it right first time. Mick.

parson48
02-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Appreciate the replies.

It's something that I never would have thought about, but saw it mentioned, so thought I'd ask about it.

I'm currently sizing at about .4325 and get fair accuracy. Would just like to have a barrel closer to .429.
parson48

lovedogs
02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Parson.. What's your bore slug at? In the beginning I had problems with the oversized bore on my Cowboy .44. Mine slugs .4315. Even with my .430 sizer I push 250 gr. GC's bullets in #2 alloy to just over 1800 FPS with H110 and it works real well. Pushed hard enough they are obturating up enough to give MOA accuracy and no leading. You can look at my old posts for specifics.

parson48
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
lovedogs,

mine slugs just shy of .432. I got one of Ranchdogs 265 gr. molds, beagled it, and size them to about .4325. I haven't had much range time with this rifle. Live in indianapolis, and have to drive a ways to shoot.

I do know that it will keyhole .430 slugs. I hope that the larger size will help.
parson48

IcerUSA
02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
If you read alot of the posts on Marlins you'll see a pattern of using hard (water dropped or heat treated) , GC's , .001 + oversize , and pushed hard for the micro-grooved barrels . So as you stated you have the boolit over sized , is it GCed ? Do you water drop or heat treat them ? How hard are you pushing them ? Just a few things to think about and play with . :)

My 444 is shooting well sized at 430 , GC'ed , and I do run it hard but it still don't thump like factory ammo as the lead does help soften the kick a little even at 2200 fps .

Keith

yarro
02-07-2008, 02:45 PM
My cowboy had an oversized bore as well. I ended up trading it for a Uberti 73 in .357 mag which I mostly shoot BP in .38 cases with 160grain bullets that have the OAL of .357.

-Yarro

parson48
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I do use GCs, but I haven't water quenched any. I'll give that a try. I do not have a chrono, but I have been shooting max loads of 296 and 2400. Boolit w/ GC is close to 270 grains. It'll be some time before I get a chance to go to the range. I'll try to have several combinations to try.
parson48

beagle
02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
If you could get a Marlin currently manufactured .444 barrel, you'd have a 1-20 twist. An old one and you'd get a 1-38 twist.

I once bought some education and rebarrelled a Marlin M1894 with a 1-20 twist Douglas to the tune of too much $$$$.

It shot all right and especially stabilized 300 grain bullets but overstabilized (I think) the lighter weights and I wasn't satisfied.

After a winter's corresponding with Felix and shooting various test loads, we finally decided that a 1-26.75" twist was the "cat's meow" for the .44 Magnum.

The next summer, Winchester came out with a 1-26 twist on its Legacy and I bought one and even though the Winchester has more feeding problems than the Marlin, I've been pretty happy with it.

So, instead of messing with a .444 barrel, buy a 1-26 twist and rebarrel and you'll be miles ahead.

There, I just gave you about $500 worth of education for free./beagle

parson48
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks, Beagle.

This is kinda like an online BCU (Boolit Casters Univ.). Here I am at 60 years, in my freshman year! I appreciate the "perfessers" who are so willing to share their wisdom here.

I hear that the new H&R handis have corrected the oversize problem. That would certainly be cheaper than a custom barrel. May look into one.
parson48