PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting decent results

OnceFired
10-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Quick update on my reloading & casting results progress.

I now have reloaded a couple boxes of ammo. Well, a couple boxes that were consistently the same sizes, anyway. :)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/15336235948_97d9d426cb_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pnddDb)

The details:
9mm 127gr-128gr cast RN boolits
Winchester brass
Remington 1 1/2 primers
5gr Power Pistol
OAL's are 1.11"-1.12" and 1.13"-1.14"

I snagged a bunch of empty boxes from the local gun range, and put them to good use. I labelled these fairly well. But I realized I need a color-coded set of labels to make it easier to see factory vs reload in my ammo stash, as well as caliber. I thought about putting a date on there too, but that seems unnecessary.

As for the reloading effort itself - after several rounds of fiddling & adjusting, I was getting decent results. Not great, and definitely not perfectly consistent, but far better than what I had been prior to getting the brass screw replacement from RCBS. But, I finally I realized I have another problem. Two actually.

The reloading "bench" I have is just a simple table - such as something from Ikea. Not wood. My dad gave it to me, along with the press when he visited about 2 years ago. I discovered it is not only lifting up in the center (legs leaving the floor) but it is also separating from the two brackets I put into the wall for added support. The arms pinning the level table platform downward at a 45 degree angle from to the wall are straining for sure. And the center itself is blowing out - buckling in the middle on the top.

I think the upstroke seat/crimp operation for this press has simply overwhelmed the table. I believe that is a part of why I am getting inconsistent results. Not only is the table flexing, the legs are lifting off the floor. It didn't start this way, but it's clear now this is occurring. It's time for me to build a proper bench that can handle the forces I am putting on the press and distribute the weight well.

Here's an older shot of the existing "bench"

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/10585759633_99a778969e_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/h8qMx8)

I have four 2"x7"x12' pine boards that I got from CraigsList. I'm going to see how sturdy they are, and if they look good I'm going to make a mean bench from those + a trip to Lowes.

OF

Thumbcocker
10-13-2014, 08:56 AM
For 20 years I loaded on a "bench" that was the cabinet for a sewing machine that disappeared inside the table. Harbor freight has a neat oak work bench with shelves and drawers that is on sale occasionally. That is my current bench. You are well on your way. Power pistol has worked well for me in 9mm and other calibers. Let us know how your loads shoot.

Wayne Smith
10-13-2014, 01:51 PM
I got both of you beat! For years I loaded on the dining room table or, later, the shelf on the breakfast bar. I put an old towel under the press and a piece of board under the table to receive the clamps. I clamped my RCBS Jr3 to the table and loaded, unclamped and put it all away when done. No damage to the table and LOML is very tolerant, helped in part by her knowing how much money I was saving.

As long as those pine planks are flat you are good to go. If you are a woodworker joint them together (I would use biscuit joining) and build a frame and legs under it. Build in a shelf for your cast boolits - the weight stabilizes the whole thing.

rsrocket1
10-13-2014, 02:03 PM
I also keep all my loaded rounds in scrounged boxes from the range.

On the box, I place a rectangular sheet of white paper and cover it with a strip of packing tape. Then I put 2 strips of Scotch tape over it and write the load with magic marker. The end of the Scotch tape is folded over so that it can be easily peeled off if the next batch has a different load in it. The top strip might say "Lee 356-120-TC" and the bottom would say "4.2g Unique 1.115 COL"

easy identification. If I change the load, all I would have to do is peel off the bottom strip and put another one on and write the new load on it. With all my loads boxed up I can also get a good idea as to how many rounds I have available and if it's time to make another batch.

Congratulations on your setup and loads.

wallenba
10-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Mine is home made and has evolved over the years. It started as a 2'x4' frame made from 2'x4's on edge. The top is two layers of 2'x4' 3/4" plywood. All screwed and glued together. It's braced all around with 2'x4's bolted to the legs, also 2'x4'. I made a bullnose front edge by joining two lengths of 3/4 round molding together to make a half round. That helps with resting the arms. Rimmed it on the back and sides with molding so stuff won't roll off. The front of the frame is two 2'x4's, doubled up to give extra strength where the presses would be mounted. It's very heavy/sturdy. No wobbling ever. I can't remember what it cost to make, but it was significantly less than all those kits.
There is an early picture of it here somewhere on the old, 'show us your bench' thread.

triggerhappy243
10-13-2014, 03:06 PM
if you come across a solid wood entry door, it makes a strong benchtop. just built my 2nd one.

RoyEllis
10-13-2014, 03:33 PM
if you come across a solid wood entry door, it makes a strong benchtop. just built my 2nd one.

Yep! My "bench" is an old solid oak 1 5/8" thick entry door I got for free at a remodeling job, covered with formica from lumberyard closeout sale bin bolted to 2 former Army 30" high 2 drawer file cabinets. Don't shake, flex or wiggle but it takes 2 boys & a bull elephant to move it.

Smoke4320
10-13-2014, 03:46 PM
back when I was 19 I built my first reloading bench from PVC Pipe bundles.. a 4" skid of PVC pipe was strapped together with 4 2x4s in 3 places and metal banding pulling those together.
The plumbing supply I worked at just threw these in the garbage.. Took these home and with a little sanding some stain and screws built myself a great reloading table that is still in use today..
Theres also a 8' bench nearby that I built many years later holding a Dillon 650 and a RCBS 50 cal press

BDJ
10-13-2014, 03:57 PM
OnceFired
Cut the seam of your boxes and flip them inside out and glue them up.119058
This is how they look.

twc1964
10-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Heck, my bench is a cheapy computer desk from a kids room. I had to glue 2×4's on edge to the bottom edge to make it tall enuff and im short as it is. I think its time to put my vocational skills to use and make a really nice one so my wife doesnt mind it being in the house lol.

OnceFired
11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
@BDJ - I thought about doing that. More work than I want to do. But...my daughter LOVES doing craft work...hmmm maybe there are possibilities there. For the time being, I just used color coded labels. My wife was a teacher for 10+ years and we have TONS of those kinds of things around.

Now that I have my new bench setup (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256497-Building-a-new-bench), and my press fixed from breaking the handle (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256496-Broke-my-press), I hope to get zeroed in on generating consistently good results today.

OF