PDA

View Full Version : Apple Seed shoot

shaper
10-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I am a member of the local wildlife assn. This week end we hosted a Apple Seed shoot. We had 11 shooters, the youngest being 10 years old, yes his dad was by his side. It was two full days of learning about our American history and heritage, along with lectures on the proper way hold and fire a 22 rifle accurately. There was a 270 and two AK's on the line also.
One shooter was a young girl about 13-14. Until Saturday morning she had never held a rifle. One instructor told me he had to show her where the bullet would come out. At the end of today she was the only one to place a shot in the stage 4 target. The 10 year old had a score of 151 and placed good shots into the 1st and 2nd stage target. Two shooters placed over 250 points.
A score of 125-169 is Marksman, 170-209 is Sharpshooter, 210 or more is Rifleman or expert.
This is the third time we hosted this event and we are planning to do more soon.
I may sign up for it myself on the next shoot instead of being a gofer.
If you don't know what a Apple Seed shoot is, look it up on line. Those kids today experienced a life changing event, and they will be better for it.

Jim Flinchbaugh
10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
We are on our second year of hosting the Apple Seed events at our club.
Huge success and the kids love it and learning real history

shooterg
10-15-2014, 12:03 AM
We'll have our 4th Appleseed next June. No heavy attendance but those that came really liked it. Like to see it get bigger.