PDA

View Full Version : it followed me home........

mike in co
02-05-2008, 02:59 AM
i shoot pistols right handed and shotguns and rifles left handed( left eye dominant).....i'm 59 and have never owned a left handed rifle.

until...

was working the denver gun show this weekend( selling brass) when i spoted a left handed short rifle. its a charles daily mini mauser european deluxe in 223...1/12 twist bbl......(now sold as a remington ).,,,,.......only a 20 inch bbl....so it may get a new bbl depending on how it shoots as is.

the nices looking ( non ar) i have ever owned.....i already have the 22 bator mould.
have not slugged it yet still cleaning....

gonna mount a 6x24 on it for a while and see how it does wiht condums...then some pb.

mike, the proud new papa

Lloyd Smale
02-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Mike is remington still making that little mini mauser??

Bass Ackward
02-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I bought 2 of the left hand actions before Remington took over and one was made into a 223. It wears a 24" tube with a 14 twist now. Which reminds me, I haven't seen my other action for awhile.

Lloyd, Remington's WEB site still advertises them, but only in the right hand models.

slughammer
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
i shoot pistols right handed and shotguns and rifles left handed( left eye dominant)...

:hijack:
How do you shoot a bow? (My 7 year old is also right handed, left eye dominant). He is shooting pistols RH and rifles LH. He shoots his little bow right handed, but I fear this will limit him to instinctive shooting only. Fine for now, but I would rather him grow with the option to use either a sighted or non-sighted bow; and then make the decision for himself when he is old enough.

:hijack: Over

By the way, congrats on the new rifle. I've been looking at a CZ 527 LUX in 223 for myself. I have the 527 American in 22 Hornet and it is doing wonders with the 40gr Sierra Hornet with 10gr of H110.

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Shooting left handed my take a while to get used to, but I think that you will shoot better with a little pratice. I used to shoot with a guy that shot right handed when he was growing up as his father told him he wouldn't buy a left handed gun. Once he bought one he did not like it at first, but once he practiced a little he was much better left handed, especially when snaping the gun up to his shoulder.

-Yarro

Scrounger
02-13-2008, 09:26 AM
You may well be right but I think it has more to do with eye dominance than muscular advantage. There have been quite a few well documented cases of athletes who have learned to do their thing with the 'other hand', usually because of bad habits deeply ingrained in doing it the 'natural way.' Golf, bowling, batting in baseball, and shooting baskets in basketball come to mind. Shooting is probably one sport that doesn't translate well to the weak hand, and I think it is because of the master eye thing.

Uncle Grinch
02-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I have always had a yearning for a mini-mauser in 7.62x39.

Believe you will really enjoy yours; keep us posted on your progress with it.

lovedogs
02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Lloyd... I think the new Remington designation is the Mod. 799. The 798 is just a Czech made mod. 98 and the smaller ones are, I believe, the 799's with Sako-type extractors.

mike in co
02-15-2008, 01:59 AM
I have always had a yearning for a mini-mauser in 7.62x39.

Believe you will really enjoy yours; keep us posted on your progress with it.

i actually believe one of my project rifles will be a sr mauser in 7.62x 39 ..but based on small primer cases and a 17 twist bbl...125 tnt's.....( this would be much like a 6ppc....but 30 cal...30 ppc)

mike