PDA

View Full Version : Who was looking for quiet loads?

Blackwater
10-12-2014, 04:37 PM
My CRS disease ("can't remember stuff") has erased it, but whoever you are, here's an article you might find interesting and useful. I believe you were looking for .30/30 loads, IIRC, but this is for several .35's, but you might find it useful anyway:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm

Who knows? It might even provide you with an excellent excuse for another gun!:mrgreen:

Digital Dan
10-12-2014, 10:28 PM
That was probably me. Thanks for that link. I've read much of Fryxell's works but had not seen that chapter.

I like the .35's, had a .358 Win. for many years and it killed everything it touched 'cept me. Truth is it was a monotonous gun. First group after bore sighting, NIB, went into .85" with factory Winchester Silvertips. Never did much worse, often did a lot better, if one considers fractions of an inch "a lot". Didn't matter what bullets or charge...it was a shooter. Seems that a lot of .35s are like that. It is a problem for someone else now. Boredom is an insidious thing, trust me.

I have some more loads assembled for the .30-30, awaiting a chance to let them fly. Will update when I get there. Got the the velocity goal very quickly, but the noise remained a bit louder than I wanted. Accuracy was good. Might be I'll wind up going with a lighter bullet...less powder still. Even toyed with the idea of round balls...it is a sickness I tell ya!

Blackwater
10-13-2014, 03:46 AM
Yeah, but it keeps us busy, and that keeps us out'a trouble an' out'a jail, so ..... not a bad trade-off, right? :mrgreen:

Adam10mm
10-13-2014, 05:22 AM
The 358627 is one of my favorite molds.

Quiettime
10-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I finally got around to clicking on this one, perhaps you may have been thinking of my post on the 247 gr in 30-30.

The .357 Max preference for 680 (which I think is pretty close to AA1680 and consequently also fairly close to 4227, and which I have) makes me think 4227 might be a possibility.

Thanks for posting.

C