PDA

View Full Version : Commercial 44 boolits/bullets

Tatume
10-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Hello Folks,

Sometimes I get too busy at work to cast, but don't want to stop shooting. Of the various commercial cast bullets and copper plated bullets, which have you found to be accurate? I'm just looking for an inexpensive, reasonably accurate bullet that I can shoot a few thousand of until I get a break in my work schedule to cast some more myself.

If there are any brands that I should avoid, I'd like to hear about them too.

Thanks, Tom

Adam10mm
10-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Missouri Bullet is my first choice.

wrench man
10-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Can't go wrong with Oregon Trail/Laser-Cast.

wallenba
10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I found this company recently. http://www.snscasting.com/ They sell Hi-Tek coated, properly sized handgun bullets. I have a Hi-tek kit, but have not gathered all the necessary stuff yet, and it's getting cold here, so I ordered some 38 wadcutters and some 200 gr. 45 SWC's. Should be here today in fact.

Follow up: Bullets came, weights are good, sizing is right on the money, coating is even and coverage is excellent. These look MUCH better than any I've seen on youtube being made. I don't know if it is even worth my time doing them myself. With all the fuss and mess, plus the cost of my own time and materials, I don't think I'd save much. I first heard about these in the Dillon Blue Press magazine this month, pages 36-37.

JohnnyFlake
10-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Can't go wrong with Oregon Trail/Laser-Cast.

Plus One for Oregon Trail Laser Cast Bullets. I switched to Oregon a few years ago and have never looked back!

Blackwater
10-11-2014, 07:51 PM
I don't buy cast any more, but one of my friends who shoots a lot uses Oregon Trail, partly because they're so readily available, but also because they give him excellent accuracy, and they also let him load max. loads in most calibers as well - particularly the .44's.

Bullwolf
10-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I have used X-Treme Bullets in the past, but mostly because it was within easy drive and pickup range for me.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/

Dunno how well the prices work out when you factor in shipping.

- Bullwolf

Wayne Smith
10-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Dan at the Bullshop. Keep it in the family.

Petrol & Powder
10-12-2014, 10:49 AM
For availability in Virginia, I'd suggest Proofmark. They're about as good as any other commercial cast bullets which is to say somewhere between acceptable and horrible, depending on a dozen or so factors. I've shot some 38 wadcutters that were fine but a bit hard and some 45 RN that leaded so bad I thought I would need a drill bit to clean the barrel. I don't think the bullets themselves are faulty. The problem lies with the inability of the commercial caster to be all thing to all people.

Comrade Mike
10-14-2014, 01:16 AM
The Xtremes work well at moderate velocities. I shoot them on top of 14.5 grains of blue dot (use at your own risk) for the 240gn flat point seated to the cannelure. Don't have a chrony but the groups will one hole at 15 yards.

Moving to hard cast bullets once I can find some h110

Gus Youmans
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.falconbullets.com. I have had great luck with these guys .38 caliber (.358) 125 grain truncated cone bullet in 9mm and light .357 magnum loads. Ransom rest groups from two S&W Model 686s and an accurized 1911 in 9mm produce 1.2 - 1.5" averages for four, five shot groups at 25 yards with minimal load workup. The bullets feed well through the three 9mm pistols I have shot them in and have not found leading to be a problem from any of the pistols or revolvers. I have tried several bullets from other vendors and none came close to these, even after extensive load workup. I am sure the bullets could be made to shoot better but they are used for offhand practice and I can't hold any better than that. I have tried several other brands in the same weight range and none came close to the Falcon bullets performance from those guns, even after extensive load workup. I have not used bullets from any of the other sources mentioned on this thread, so I cannot compare them.

I have not used and cannot vouch for the 44 caliber bullets in their lineup but Falcon would be my first vendor if I needed some.

Gus Youmans

twc1964
10-14-2014, 01:49 PM
+1 for mbc. Ive shot quite a few and still have several hundred left. Accurate and fairly cheap compared to many others offerings. Ymmv

Leatherhead Bullets
10-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Check out Leatherhead Bullets ( www.leatherheadbullets.com ). We carry a 240 grn SWC. It has proven to be quite accurate, and we also use the Hi-Tek coating.

Chris
Leatherhead Bullets LLC

williamwaco
10-14-2014, 04:58 PM
I found this company recently. http://www.snscasting.com/ They sell Hi-Tek coated, properly sized handgun bullets. I have a Hi-tek kit, but have not gathered all the necessary stuff yet, and it's getting cold here, so I ordered some 38 wadcutters and some 200 gr. 45 SWC's. Should be here today in fact.

Follow up: Bullets came, weights are good, sizing is right on the money, coating is even and coverage is excellent. These look MUCH better than any I've seen on youtube being made. I don't know if it is even worth my time doing them myself. With all the fuss and mess, plus the cost of my own time and materials, I don't think I'd save much. I first heard about these in the Dillon Blue Press magazine this month, pages 36-37.

SNS ROCKS!

Try them. You will be glad you did.

shooter93
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
I've used Badman bullets myself. His bhn is 15 which is as hard as I like to shoot. Mount Baldy was perfect but he's closing shop for health reasons which is a real bummer. It's for sale though if someone here wants to go commercial.....hint ....hint...lol. Badman bullets are not coated though.