PDA

View Full Version : Desert Eagle .44M

oldgeezer
10-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Just found you all. Maybe this isn't the right part of the forum but send me elsewhere if it isn't.

I going to reload the DE with a 240 coated 'cause the DE doesn't like lead. Never have reloaded a .44M and it says that W296 and H110 can go with 23-24 gr. That sounds like a lot. But the DE has a stiff recoil spring. Am I reading it correctly? Thanks:confused:

geargnasher
10-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Welcome aboard, Oldgeezer! This area ought to be just fine for your question. By coating, I assume you mean epoxy or thermo-set paint? Evidently you and I have the same information about the DE gas system being impossible to clear of lead fouling, if it occurs, and therefore unsuitable for traditional cast lead bullets. I don't know how true it is, but I've read plenty about it from folks who ought to know.

WW296 is definitely one of the powders that does not behave well when reduced, so you pretty much have to start near the top and your data sounds about right but right about maximum.....for pressure tests done with JACKETED projectiles. The only issue I can see is that coated cast bullets may not behave quite the same and you might be over or under pressure with them, depending on your particular gun, alloy, coating type, etc. Neck tension, crimp, and primer choice also affect the burn of that powder a great deal.

Personally, I don't use WW296/H110 due to this, and instead I use Alliant 2400, which CAN be reduced a little (10% or so) for starters and work up with each gun to a happy place. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give better advice than I can on the subject since most of my "magnum" autoloader experience has been with a Grizzly .45 Winchester Magnum.

Gear

oldgeezer
10-11-2014, 06:12 AM
I did mean jacketed bullets. How much 2400 do you use?

1johnlb
10-11-2014, 07:20 AM
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/index.aspx&

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

TMenezes
10-11-2014, 05:06 PM
My Manuel #14 lists 22 to 24 grains of H110/Win 296

My Lyman #49 says 18.4 to 20.5 of 2400

I haven't used either of those powders, but I did try Accurate #9 in a my friends Desert Eagle. According to the Desert Eagle forum I looked at they said the DE reps had mentioned the developers preferred AA#9 for its burn quality, cleanliness, low flash, and ability to download while still reliably cycling the slide. The data I have in my notes (Accurate's online data I believe) showed 18.5 to 20.5 gr.

Since I was loading these to shoot in a buddies gun and I wanted the slide to be totally reliable I loaded them right in the middle at 19.5 gr #9 under a Hornady 240gr hollow point.

They were accurate, reliably cycled the slide, and burned very clean. However since the grip on that gun is massive I didn't like how the recoil rocked the gun around in my hands. As it was not my gun that was the only time I shot it. If I were to make more loads for it I would start at 18.5 and work up like I would with my revolvers. Only reason I stepped up a bit was to be sure it cycled the slide. Good luck and I hope this helps. Tim

oldgeezer
10-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys. Now to hunt down the powder.

tomme boy
10-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Where are you from. It would help people to see where you are at to give a helping hand. You can add that in your profile.

TMenezes
10-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys. Now to hunt down the powder.

Tell you what, what Magnum powders do you have on hand that you have to work with? That would help us help you lol. Most Desert Eagles isn't to hard to load for. Some are finicky but for the most par the DE's gas system seems to be pretty forgiving.