PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lee 405 Grain .457 bullet mold please

aprayinbear
10-10-2014, 01:23 PM
While I've not been casting bullets as long as some of you folks, I have been "rolling my own" for over 5 years in a variety of calibers for both handguns and rifles. So far, all of my molds have been Lee molds and I have found them to work well.

That was until I ordered my Lee 405 Grain .457 mold. As usual I cleaned the new mold, smudged the mold with a lighter and used a bit of bees wax to lubricate the pins and sprue cutter screw. I want to use this bullet for black powder loads to be used in a Springfield Trapdoor. Problem is, I couldn't get a truly round bullet from the mold. I probably tried 100 times or more before calling Lee and agreeing to send it back for replacement or repair. Of course I had to pay the shipping to send the mold back.

I received the mold yesterday (a new mold), prepped it last night and tried again today. Same problem! here's a pic of what I'm talking about ...
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/aprayinbear/IMG_1167_zps297f322d.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/aprayinbear/media/IMG_1167_zps297f322d.jpg.html)
As you can see the two halves are way out of true.

What's up? Suggestions? Am I missing something or is Lee missing the target on this one.

Help:(

NoAngel
10-10-2014, 01:26 PM
I would send that back. That's ridiculous looking.

big bore 99
10-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Definetly looks like miss alingment problem. I'd send it back to them. I have the same mold and mine works like a charm.

aprayinbear
10-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Definetly looks like miss alingment problem. I'd send it back to them. I have the same mold and mine works like a charm.

Big Bore....

Does yours have the alignment pins or the tongue and groove alignment?

fredj338
10-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Yep Lee QC. Send it back, you can't fix that.

aprayinbear
10-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Yep Lee QC. Send it back, you can't fix that.

Just sent a note off to Lee and asked for a new mold which had been quality checked. Also said I shouldn't have to pay shipping again.

I've always done well with Lee. Hope they don't let me down this time.

myg30
10-12-2014, 09:10 AM
I had a mold that didn't close correctly and the handle pins were to tight/ loose ? not allowing the halfs to pivot and align correctly some of the time.
I was told to set the mold on a flat surface BEFORE closing the mold.
If yours looks like that each time then return it.

Hope they get you fixed up in time fer hunting.

Mike