PDA

View Full Version : Recently got a "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" book.....

Harry O
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
by Frank de Haas. It shows the drawings and discusses 55 different single shot rifles. Very interesting. Another thing that is interesting is comparing it to the Walter B. Mueller book, "Building a Single-Shot Falling-Block Rifle Action".

This is WAAAAAAY beyond me to build, but it was interesting to see that the Muller single shot was a fairly close copy of a German Lechner falling block action (chapter 43 in the de Haas book).

In addition, de Haas built his "perfect" single shot in chapter 52. It looks like he took a Remington Rolling Block and turned it into a semi-falling, semi-rolling block action. It looks more complicated than the original and I cannot figure out (from the drawings) why it is better. Perhaps that would become apparent if I was ever able to handle them (not likely).

BTW, I sent my Rolling Block action 5 months ago to have it rebarrelled to 45-70 and case hardened. The gunsmith said it would take a month. I knew he would never get it done in that time, but it is starting to be a drag. He says that it is "nearly done". I will still have to stock it and put sights on after I get it back. Only then will I be able to see how it shoots.

StrawHat
02-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Did you see the pictures of the Frank deHass #2 action? (see the FDH#2 thread in Single Shot Guns).

Please let me know (PM or open forum) who did the work on your RB as the fellow I used has retired and I need a fellow who knows how to work on rolling blocks.

Thanks

Harry O
02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
This is the place. I have not gotten mine back yet, so I cannot say how his workmanship is. However, if it is like the ones he has in his display case, I should be happy.

http://www.uppermotradingco.com/

NoDakJak
04-28-2008, 05:18 AM
Frank de Hass was a very knowledgible and engenius fellow. I am proud to state that he encouraged me to get into gun writing. He used a picture of one of my small Belgian Martinis in one of his books. Shortly before he passed away he got the stats and took pictures of my Baby Comblain and Zeller Martini for use in an updat to his single shot book. Sadly, he passed away before he got it completed. Frank designed the very fine Miller-Dehass action. Frank designed a couple actions for the home gunsmith to build. When he asked me what I thought about his #1 action i replied that it was a very fine design. I should have stopped there as I have never been known for perspacity or common sense. Dumb stick that I am, I stated that I did not like the "Ass Backward Design). WHOA HOSS!!!! Frank was so outraged that he refused to speak to me for several years! Certainly can't blame him him I guess! I really like his Chicopee action however and intend to build several for small cartridges such a the 25-20 and 32 S&W Long. Neil

trevj
06-08-2008, 01:07 PM
IIRC, the superiority of the "perfect" design, was that it offered a faster lock time, thus increasing the potential for accuracy.

There were three or four books on Single Shots by DeHaas, and they are all a good read, and full of good information. Add into the mix his book of rifle plans, and the gunsmithing idea book, and he put forth a PILE of good bedside reading material.

If one were to search for the phrase "Mr. Single Shot" one would do pretty well.

Cheers
Trev

heathydee
06-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I have just completed a Chicopee CF in 30.30 .Took about four months of my spare time and am currently developing cast boolit loads for it . Mr De Haas recommended lower power cartridges than the 30.30 but I beefed it up somewhat . In proof testing the rifle survived six massive overloads with no signs of stress. A good design.