PDA

View Full Version : Some success with the AR and Bator

wyrmzr
10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
I finally got out to the range with my gas checked Bator boolits today. Previously, I'd run them without GCs up to 13 grains of IMR 4227, but they were all over the place, both in the AR and in my Savage Axis bolt gun.
13 grains would cycle the action in the AR, but without accuracy, that's not exactly performance that sets my hair on fire.
So, I got the GC'd boolits loaded with 14 grains of IMR 4227, and finally, at 25 yards, got about a 1.5 inch group. Still needs work, but I haven't gone so far as to weight these boolits, and barely checked them otherwise. They looked like boolits, so I lubed, loaded, and fired them.
This is the target, the bottom hole being a flyer, as I was standing unsupported at just 15 yards, just checking to see if I could hit paper before I walked back to the 25 yard mark:

The barrel I have is a 1:8 16 inch fluted stainless, and the boolits themselves are dropping between 50 and 51 grains. Cycling perfectly, and even locked the action on the last round.

1johnlb
10-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Cycling perfectly

I was going to ask , No feed issues? I have the bator i picked up just to keep from paying that $3 min order fee. I've also have a lyman on the way because the bator doesn't look like it would feed good. Looks like I was wrong. I'll have to cast both at once when it comes in.

Is 4227 the only powder you have tried?

Hope to have a range test in about 2 weeks or so. I'm thinking of 4895 in my 24" ss rifle legth, as suggested by Larry Gibson.

wyrmzr
10-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes, the 4227 is all I've tried so far. I'm looking for others to try as well, but the local places can't keep anything in stock, and it's not high on my list of priorities, being hunting season.
I do like it, hopefully I can tweak things a bit to get it to MOA accuracy with the 4227, but that remains to be seen. I'm actually surprised that my Savage Axis didn't like this combination, but it may actually perform better with less powder.