PDA

View Full Version : Resizing cast bullet

6mm win lee
10-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Not certain if this is the correct forum but here goes. I have found a lyman mould with the correct weight I need for one of my rifles but the mould is 7mm with a GC and I need it resized to .244. Is it too much of a leap or can a resizer do the job? I have not bought the mould yet.

Then the second question is what resizer and bit parts would I need to purchase to make that happen if it is doable?

Can you help a fellow America who's down on his luck?

fredj338
10-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I think it's too much to ask, you will likely get deformation in the bullet I have sized .0430" down to 0.424" in two diff dies, they worked pretty well. 0.100" though, a bridge too far for me. Why not just buy the correct dia/wt mold? If not a Lyman, a custom mold maker like Accurate??

RED333
10-09-2014, 06:08 PM
I have sized from .311 down to .285 in one step.
Took a good bit of pressure, used a Lee size die.
Took all the lube groves off, made a smooth side boolit.
Works as I powder coat.
I would go with the what Fred posted, get you a mold made.

MT Chambers
10-09-2014, 09:51 PM
There are lots of .244" or so molds out there.

Echo
10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
+1 for the above. Check eBay for used molds - you might be able to find one, and it will be cheaper than a custom job - or just go to Midsouth and order the mould you need.

cbrick
10-10-2014, 10:35 AM
I think going that far wouldn't be sizing but rather swaging, you would have no lube grooves left and probably little of the gas check shank remaining. Depending on your alloy it would also be very tough on your lubrisizer and the luber (you).

I don't know how much experience you have but when you size a bullet your not removing any metal your simply moving it, it has to go someplace and thus going that far means no more lube grooves.

Rick

Wayne Smith
10-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Woah, slow down. Have you done any casting? You will need a lead pot, heat source, ladle or bottom pour pot, and something to size and lube at minimum. If you have no money this is an issue.

Think through what you need totally to do what you want to accomplish. Consult here if you don't know. Then go to Helping Hands and list what you need and what is available to you now. I have been casting on a Coleman camping stove and simple pot (1qt SS kitchen pot) for the past 20 years. A Lyman or RCBS Ladle is not expensive. There are a lot of us here who are willing to help a starter. That's what Helping Hands is all about.

6mm win lee
10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Woah, slow down. Have you done any casting? You will need a lead pot, heat source, ladle or bottom pour pot, and something to size and lube at minimum. If you have no money this is an issue.

Think through what you need totally to do what you want to accomplish. Consult here if you don't know. Then go to Helping Hands and list what you need and what is available to you now. I have been casting on a Coleman camping stove and simple pot (1qt SS kitchen pot) for the past 20 years. A Lyman or RCBS Ladle is not expensive. There are a lot of us here who are willing to help a starter. That's what Helping Hands is all about.

Casting? Nope. Do I have nearly everything to do it? Yep. Been in the Iraq dust bowl and Afghan plain for over nine years and been reading every thing on this site for over two and while that was happening I was buying stuff like a drunken sailor on shore leave. Btw I want to thank your wallets for all of your contributions to my paycheck.

The trouble is I can not find a 135 grain .244 mould. Was figuring on using some of my lino from rotometals for the alloy since the original was a jacketed bullet with 95/5 in it. I think that is the receipe for super hard. Yes?

And most important, I ask questions before I do really dumb stuff as opposed to the daily merely dumb stuff.

6mm win lee
10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you to all for the advise. I guess I will hunt down a custom mould maker.

cbrick
10-10-2014, 04:49 PM
9 years, yikes! As for my contributing to your paycheck . . . You didn't get nearly what you deserve!

Your post #8 is a bit confusing. Roto Metals Super Hard is 70% lead and 30% antimony. Linotype is 84% lead, 12% antimony, 4% tin. The 95/5 you mention would be 95% lead, 5% either tin or antimony, mostly that would 5% tin.

Next, does the bullet have to be 135 gr? There are several molds in 6mm available without going to a custom mold, RCBS has a 140 gr as an example.

Hope this helps ya out some. Thanks for your service, it really is appreciated.

Rick

6mm win lee
10-10-2014, 05:20 PM
You are correct, Rick. I had semi-senior moment. The original loading was jacketed Hardened lead 95/5. Sheesh. Some times I think I am getting an early jump on Old-timers disease.

Maybe 140 would work. I'll check RCBS.

Yes, a little over nine. August 2005. Straight through except for two bouts of training of four months and the annual vacations. I think I got what I deserved. At the very least I got what I bargained for. However it is time to wrap it up over here, been putting my life on hold for too long. Need to find a good woman to remind me why I stayed here. No nagging. No Fru-Fru stuff. No does-this-make-my-backside-look-huge/monsterous/hideous/fill in the blank baloney. Hmmmm. Maybe I should stay over here for another nine. I have it pretty good.

cbrick
10-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Hope ya make it back safely. As for that woman, when ya find her see if she has a sister. I've been looking for one like that for 66 years and haven't found her yet. :roll:

Rick

6mm win lee
10-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I did a quick look since it is 0200L and all I found were 6.5mm 140 grain molds. Did I miss the 6mm stuff. Do you have a link?

Heading to bed.

cbrick
10-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Were even now, we both had a senior moment. Your right, my RCBS 140 is 6.5mm. Sorry about that. :oops:

Rick

RED333
10-10-2014, 07:08 PM
All I can find is 100 gran mold and smaller.
http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/243-6mm-calibre

BK7saum
10-10-2014, 09:03 PM
About 100 grain is going to be the heaviest 6mm mold your going to find. Any heavier,which is also longer and it will not stabilize in a factory 9 or 9 1/4 twist barrel.

What are you planning on using a 130-140 6mm boolit in?

Now 6.5 mm or 0.264" 130-140 grain boolit sounds about right..

6mm win lee
10-10-2014, 10:35 PM
About 100 grain is going to be the heaviest 6mm mold your going to find. Any heavier,which is also longer and it will not stabilize in a factory 9 or 9 1/4 twist barrel.

What are you planning on using a 130-140 6mm boolit in?

Now 6.5 mm or 0.264" 130-140 grain boolit sounds about right..

An 1895 Winchester Lee Straight Pull with a 1:7.5 twist rate. Looks like I will try a different approach to the problem

country gent
10-10-2014, 11:02 PM
I have a 243 match rifle with 1-7 twist barrel and for 200 and 300 yds I shot jacketed 87 + 95 grn jacketed bullets with very good results. I did shoot 105 vlds at 600. The 100 grn boolits may be just the ticket for you.

williamwaco
10-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Thank you to all for the advise. I guess I will hunt down a custom mould maker.

You don't need a custom mold, .244 molds are easily available.

Post a want to buy post here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

If you want a new one, this one looks really nice.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/284678/rcbs-2-cavity-bullet-mold-243-095-sp-243-caliber-6mm-244-diameter-95-grain-semi-point-gas-check?cm_vc=ProductFinding

.22-10-45
10-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Hello, 6mm Win Lee. Now thats an interesting handle..not too many folks have heard of that oldie. Are you looking to shoot cast in a Win. Lee-Navy .236 (6mm)?...Oops..I just saw your last post. You are truly a man after my own heart. I looked for years for a nice Win-Lee military..but the few I came across had sewer pipe bores. Then my taste in firearms changed and I sought a sporting Lee..even more rare. But perisitance paid off..I found a very nice near-mint bore sporter. I had been shooting cast for over 25 years at the time, but this one turned into a hair-pulling experience. chamber throat is very long..100gr. Ideal 245498 held only by g.c. wouldn't reach rifling..and slugging throat revealed it to be .0005" UNDER groove dia.! I finally had to size entire bullet to exact groove dia. (annealed g.c. sprang back .001" for bore seal) 1st. band had to be sized .001 under bore dia. after I found all this out..the rest was pretty normal. Brass is formed from .25-06 Buffalo Arms I think, I worried about that fast twist so cast up some very hard samples..as well as my usual range-scrap/WW alloy..powders tried were H4227 & TrailBoss..funny..10.0gr. of either shot to P.O.A. with the open buckhorn rear & german silver blade front. groups were 3/4" at 50yds. 1 1/4 at 100. I liked the TrailBoss load best as there was no blackened necks & less muzzle blast as compared to H4227. I need not have worried about the twist..the soft alloy bullets shot just fine with absolutely no leading. This is a fun gun to shoot. Good luck with your project.

Pilgrim
10-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I haven't bought a custom mould for a loooong time, but IIRC Mountain Moulds web site has a form you fill out to design your boolit. You can probably get your extra heavy 6mm mould there. I don't know if the other custom mould makers on this site offer the same service or not. Check them out, please. Again IIRC the cost of the custom mould is not all that much more than the "OEM" moulds ($30 - $40 more) which really is no big deal unless you are cash strapped. Then one of the LEE moulds is a good place to start. FWIW Pilgrim

6mm win lee
10-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Hello, 6mm Win Lee. Now thats an interesting handle..not too many folks have heard of that oldie. Are you looking to shoot cast in a Win. Lee-Navy .236 (6mm)?...Oops..I just saw your last post. You are truly a man after my own heart. I looked for years for a nice Win-Lee military..but the few I came across had sewer pipe bores. Then my taste in firearms changed and I sought a sporting Lee..even more rare. But perisitance paid off..I found a very nice near-mint bore sporter. I had been shooting cast for over 25 years at the time, but this one turned into a hair-pulling experience. chamber throat is very long..100gr. Ideal 245498 held only by g.c. wouldn't reach rifling..and slugging throat revealed it to be .0005" UNDER groove dia.! I finally had to size entire bullet to exact groove dia. (annealed g.c. sprang back .001" for bore seal) 1st. band had to be sized .001 under bore dia. after I found all this out..the rest was pretty normal. Brass is formed from .25-06 Buffalo Arms I think, I worried about that fast twist so cast up some very hard samples..as well as my usual range-scrap/WW alloy..powders tried were H4227 & TrailBoss..funny..10.0gr. of either shot to P.O.A. with the open buckhorn rear & german silver blade front. groups were 3/4" at 50yds. 1 1/4 at 100. I liked the TrailBoss load best as there was no blackened necks & less muzzle blast as compared to H4227. I need not have worried about the twist..the soft alloy bullets shot just fine with absolutely no leading. This is a fun gun to shoot. Good luck with your project.

Thank you for the kind words. Any one who shoots the Winchester Lee can sit down at my dinner table. Actually, in reply to your first question, I want to shoot any thing, cast, swaged, store bought, gravel if need be, that will hold in the X/10 ring at two hundred yards.

What I want to do is replicate the original loads to that end and that means 135 grain or 112 grain round nose bullets. I have a hundred and fraction original cases of unknown reloadings waiting for me. Maybe they will work, maybe not. It was only money to get them and as always a krap shoot on the outcome.

I think I will mosey over to the swaging forum to see if any of the guys are swaging for six millimeter. The thing that works against me is distance. All of my stuff is in New England and I am in the Land of the Afghans. There are distinct disadvantages with being a money *****. I need to take a micrometer to an original 112 bullet I have and get its specs. I am thinking copper jacket and a chunk of lead will work on the Metford rifling better than cast but then I don't know as much as the experienced guys on this site and have a steep learning curve to climb.

You mentioned you had to size to the groove diameter. Most everything I see out there is geared towards .243 and not .244. I would have to have a custom swage die set made for the project.

ohland
10-12-2014, 02:20 PM
What I want to do is replicate the original loads to that end and that means 135 grain or 112 grain round nose bullets.

Day-um. There was a 245499 on fleabay about 2 weeks ago. It is too long for modern twists but should work in the Lee.

I know it isn't the 120 or so grain boolit, but... No idea what it went for.

.22-10-45
10-13-2014, 09:32 PM
The original Metford rifling was designed for long-range target shooting... Creedmoor, Wimbledon, etc. and lead bullets..the hot burning Cordite combined with jacketd bullets were not kind to it in the early British Enfields..as well as the 6mm Lee. I did have Tom Ballard make up a smooth adjustable paper-patch mould for this rifle..but have not had time to try them out.