PDA

View Full Version : Getting started casting

trbon8r
02-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey guys, newbie here.

I've decided to try my hand at casting my own .45 ACP bullets. The prices for factory bullets is just nuts, so if I want to keep shooting I need to save a few bucks.

I found a gentleman that wants to dispose of 300 lbs. of wheel weights. I'm going to pick them up later this morning. He says they have been melted down into ingots. What do I need to do to verify that these ingots are suitable for making bullets? Thanks for your help. After reading some of the FAQs I'm sure I'll have a few questions about equipment as well. Thanks. :drinks:

Wayne Smith
02-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Do you have a pot and heat and ladel and, most of all, a mold or two? Read the stickies, do a search for "newbie" or such, and get back to us. Generally the best answer is to start casting.

black44hawk
02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
for 45acp you will not be too concerned with alloy type, as you can shoot plain wheel weights with maybe a little tin soldering wire added. don't forget to size and lube!

jleneave
02-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Trbon8r, Welcome to the site. I just joined about a week ago and am unable to leave the site for all the information here. If you let it this site will actually keep you from casting bullets because you will be too busy absorbing all the great information!! I had actually been thinking about casting bullets for some time and was researcing when I stumbled on this place. It actually convinced me to go ahead and take the plunge! So far I haven't casted my first bullet, I have been busy reading all the info here, running around and hording wheel weights and casting them into ingots. I ordered my first mold yesterday(a Lyman 4 cavity 429421) so maybe here soon I will pull myself away form here and actually make my first bullet! I can already tell that this is going to be a very addictive hobby. Again welcome to the site and as a newbie myself the best advice I can give you is read as many of the post at this site and absorb all the knowledge that you can!! Later!

454PB
02-04-2008, 11:59 PM
What do I need to do to verify that these ingots are suitable for making bullets?

Welcome to the forum!

There's really no way a newbie could verify that. In fact, even after you become experienced, the only way to tell is by casting with the alloy.

You just have to take his word for it, and be thankful to have it!

TxGunfighter
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
My suggestion is to start casting just practice.. Keep remelting until you have it down pat... If you have a problem as for help and be specific.

trbon8r
02-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys.

I went and picked up the ingots today. They look fantastic. I'd guess somewhere around 75+ hockey pucks. :mrgreen:

Now I need to start reading about what equipment to buy. I'm leaning towards one of the Lee bottom pour smelters, specifically the 4-20 model.

HORNET
02-05-2008, 08:13 PM
That Lee 4-20 has been recommended a lot on this forum as being about the best for anywhere near the money. you might also want to get a ladle ( RCBS preferred, Lyman next, the Lee's a joke) for those stubborn molds that don't seem to want to fill from a bottom-drain. There's lots of room for it inside that Lee pot and it gives you another option. LOTS of arguments on here about the relative merits of each approach (BOTH sides right, at times).

Knarley
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
10-4 on the get a ladle!! The Lee bottom pour just doesn't cut it. I own one. I'm going to drain the pot and plug the drain and get that "valve dealie" out of the way. I have 3 ladles, the one I like best a friend made for me at a rondezvou, it's simple and I holds enough for 500 grainers. Don't forget a thermometer!! You know, if this seems a bit much, I'll give your hockey pucks a good home....[smilie=1:
Knarley :mrgreen: