PDA

View Full Version : Elmer Keith - Sixgun Cartridges and Loads

cuzinbruce
10-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Like many, I read Elmer Keith's "Sixguns" years ago. I had seen references to his earlier book, "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads", but had never actually encountered one. Until I was at the flea market a few weeks ago and there it was. And it only cost me a few dollars ($3). The book is from 1936 and it is amazing how he had it all worked out back then. He tells his objectives in designing the Keith SWC, the heavy band in front of the shell case to center it in the chamber, the square grooves, etc. Even discusses his hollow-base bullets that we seldom hear much about. I didn't know that he had previously designed bullets for Belding & Mull, before the Lyman designs. The Lyman designs were improvements on the earlier ones. He also mentions that Belding & Mull made mould blocks in solid nickel. Has anyone ever seen those?
Some things you have to wonder about, he was loading the 32/20 to 1500 fps with #2400 powder, but only in the Colt SAA, since it had thick cylinder walls. He stopped using the .45 Colt because the cylinder walls are too thin, under the notches. They would bulge there and make extracting cases difficult. He says they were even know to bulge with Remington's heavy black powder loads. Which loads he did not like, with their pointed bullet. It took 10 hits with them to kill a mountain goat.
Fascinating book to read if you are interested in these things. If I can find the time, I want to try his hollow base bullets in 38.357 and 44.

Tatume
10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
There's not much new under the sun, is there?

Bullshop Junior
10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I can say first hand that a semi pointy 45 won't do much damage.

Beerd
10-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Bruce
If you want to double your $ send me a PM
I'll even pay shipping
:)

AnthonyB
10-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I have the 38 caliber HB mould. Will buy the 44 if I ever come across one.
Tony

alamogunr
10-06-2014, 03:15 PM
It is a fascinating book, especially considering the time frame. I've had mine for several years. I paid more than $3 though.

Char-Gar
10-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Elmer Keith was a very interesting guy and played a big part in the development of some of the things we have now. He did however dance on the edge of the abyss with some of the pressures he put in the lowly sixgun.

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I've only seen the pictures that some of the ARTCA collectors have put up, but Belding and Mull did indeed make moulds out of nickel, as an option and at higher cost over the standard iron ones. If memory serves, they were stamped with either "NICKEL" or the letter N to distinguish them from the regular moulds. They wouldn't rust, but the metal was more costly and was much harder on tooling.

I miss old Elmer. If he'd only lived another ten years, he could have been the Grand Old Man of black powder cartridge shooting, among his other accomplishments. He'd learned to load the old Sharps cartridges from Chauncey Thomas and the old time Montana buffalo hunters. He alluded to the techniques from time to time, but not with sufficient detail. Probably figured that few of his readers back then would be sufficiently interested.

PWS
10-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Here's another source for some oldies but goodies: http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/products/

Rick45Colt
10-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I recently bought a reprint of Sixguns because I wanted to see what the master had to say. I am up to page 100.

376Steyr
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
If you are ever in Boise, Idaho, stop by the Cabela's. They have Keith's gun collection displayed under glass. You can put your nose 6 inches away from his #5 revolver, his 4" 44 Magnum, etc.

Blackwater
10-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Dang it, PWS, ya' dun went an' cost me some money! THANKS!

cuzinbruce
10-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Some good books on there, even a reprint of this one

LAH
10-06-2014, 09:27 PM
If you are ever in Boise, Idaho, stop by the Cabela's. They have Keith's gun collection displayed under glass. You can put your nose 6 inches away from his #5 revolver, his 4" 44 Magnum, etc.

Held the 4" one once.

Nueces
10-06-2014, 09:39 PM
I got a nice Samworth 1936 first edition a few years ago. Imagine how pleased I was to find all the unprinted pages filled with vintage NWF 1949 Wildlife Conservation Stamps, by W. A. Weber. All, that is, except for the one that was signed by Frank de Haas on a date in 1948, 11 days before my birth.

Time to read it again.

LAH
10-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Here's another source for some oldies but goodies: http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/products/

Thanks.

MtGun44
10-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Junior,

We all REALLY DO appreciate the scientific data report, sort of "if you have
lemons, make lemonade" situation.

Thank goodness you were not using a soft cast HP. . . !!!!! :shock:

As to the original post. Yep, I have been amazed at how all the stuff that I have
had a chance to verify that Elmer taught - worked exactly like he said.

Bill

Lonestar22
10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
If you have a Kindle the book is available from Amazon.

lbaize3
10-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Yep, I used the Kindle to get mine. Good reading. The man wrote as if he were sitting in your living room and talking directly to you.