PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the 50's

buckwheatpaul
10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
That was a great trip down "memory lane" for me (lots of flashbacks), and I thought of you. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

buckwheatpaul

For all of us from the 50's! (This is a new one)

http://safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu

MaryB
10-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Nice and growing up in the 60's I remember quite a bit of that via reruns.

Bad Water Bill
10-06-2014, 01:26 AM
What a trip down memory lane.

Lots of fond memories.

Thanks for sharing.

Now how many remember the plastic magnifier filled with mineral oil you placed in front of your 7" TV so you could fit the whole family on a couch 8-10' away from the screen and see everything.

Yes it WAS filled with mineral oil till I bumped it off of the top of the 7' high cabinet the TV was sitting on.

MaryB
10-06-2014, 03:20 AM
My parents got a 25 inch Zenith TV in 1964, one of the first with transistors mixed with tubes. Replaced a little 12 inch black and white set. Being into electronics from when I was 8 I kept that Zenith running until 1976 when I finally said replace it, I am not fixing it again.

Bad Water Bill
10-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Back down memory lane again.

I remember working at Sears when they first got a "COLORED CONSOLE TV" on display.

The darned thing cost almost as much as a brand new car.

Now you can buy one big enough to cover 1/2 of your wall for less than the price of a decent rifle.

1johnlb
10-06-2014, 04:46 AM
50's, that was the year they came out with dirt wonit?:mrgreen:

smokeywolf
10-06-2014, 05:00 AM
I think it was '64 when dad replaced the old Packard Bell black and white TV with a 25" Zenith color unit.

In the video I saw a gas price sign that indicated prices of 32 to 36 cents per gallon. That didn't happen until the late '60s - early '70s.

I recognized most of what I saw.

Thanks for posting.

smokeywolf

Janoosh
10-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Thanks for sharing that. I can remember waiting for the TV to warm up before the picture came on. And that the stations weren't on 24 hrs a day.

Wayne Smith
10-06-2014, 07:46 AM
They missed the test pattern that came on when the TV signed off at night. Or was that not until the '60's? We didn't get a TV until '66.

opos
10-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Having my 77th birthday today and was one of the kids that was right smack dab in the middle of the 50's..Got to say that much of the stuff attributed to the 50's was really more toward the 60's...we were on the "cusp" of the old big band music and saw the birth of the Rock and Roll era with people like Bill Haley and the Comets..I recall going to see the movie Blackboard Jungle where "Rock around the clock" was the featured song...much of the music was things like Rosemary Clooney, Patty Page, Etc on the old 45's...It was a great time

..my first car was Mom's 50 Nash Statesman...green, 82 hp, overdrive..looked like an upside down bath tub and the seats made into a bed (I was too young and naive to really appreciate that car). Got rid of it as soon as I could and got one of those darn new fangeled foreign cars..a 52 MGTD....really liked that car. grew up in Colorado and that was great for the mountains.

My first gun was a Winchester 62A that I got at Gart Brothers in Denver in 1949...shot it a bunch and it's sitting in my safe today..still dig it out and clean and wipe it down now and then..haven't shot it for a while..maybe I'll take it to the range when I go later today or tomorrow..think I got some 22lr ammo around someplace.

We had a round screen TV and it was sort of an off green picture tube..Dad bought a piece of celluloid that was blue on top..clear in the middle and green on the bottom..you would tape it over the screen for "sky, the action in the clear area, and the green for grass...pretty funny with a show that showed the ocean...a green ocean...oh well..they did the best they could before color tv.

The motorcycle picture is about 1953..anyone recall the movie the Wild One with Marlon Brando? We all had to dress just like him to be cool...Wish I had that old single today.. Glad to have been born when I was...have seen an awful lot and still have huge faith in the good old USA. We aren't "finished" as some folks think..just some bumps in the road.