PDA

View Full Version : Bruce B's Arrival at LAX

9.3X62AL
02-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Bruce and Karen arrived in good order at LAX this afternoon. I got a little delayed by weather and road conditions back on my end, and that dude three lots east of me with the sack cloth outfit and long gray beard is putting the finishing touches on his BIG home-made bass boat. If he starts loading paired animals on board.......

But I digress. They were snagging their luggage in the Terminal 1 baggage carousel as I walked in, along with about 1300 other people similarly engaged. No injuries were observed or reported.

I should note here that Bruce and Karen had the same sort of wide-eyed looks of unbelief at the press of humanity at LAX that Ron and Jen had when they flew in from Australia a couple summers back. Few things in life can prepare you for this crossroads of the Pacific--Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Cairo might be a good warm-up--but I could see culture shock written deeply on both faces. Los Angeles--especially the LAX part--is the polar opposite of either Yellowknife NWT or Winnemucca NV.

We weren't 500 feet outside the airport perimeter when the first instance of gridlock and closed onramps--the one we needed--was encountered. This is a feature of life in L.A. that is legendary in scope and eternal in duration. There are some unwritten rules of the road in Los Angeles, and I made immediate use of one such vehicular folkway--that large white Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4's with BIG black ladder racks surrounding their camper shells have right of way over Nissan and Toyota coupes half their height. Something about a rear bumper at mid-windshield elevation communicates concepts succinctly.

One drive-thru of the gridlock and a U-turn later, we were back on eastbound I-105. The first area passed through is Southcentral/Watts, and since the sun was still up the LAPD helicopters weren't yet grounded by gunfire--"celebratory" or "malicious" is rather moot when airborne. Things were placid, in other words. Traffic was full-speed and we were at the hotel in Montebello in short order. All told, an uneventful sojourn.

They got checked into their hotel, and we went looking for a market so they could score some goodies. We found one near the hotel, and both Bruce and Karen seemed to have overcome the culture shock rapidly.

I thought.

The market was one of those I grew up around, a carniceria/verduria/regalos place. I should have gone inside with them. They emerged about a quarter-and-a-half of Super Bowl later with an even deeper-etched countenance of cultural disconnect than what occurred at LAX. I felt badly about this, but Karen remarked that they found everything they needed. Thankfully, the place DIDN'T have a botanica--or they would have found some things they damn sure DIDN'T need. I suspect Mexican management here, pretty tame and mainstream as to shelf contents. Colombian ownership--and the inventory that results from same--would wear out 4 full shifts of exorcists with generous overtime allotments.

As I hear from Bruce and Karen, I'll keep ya all in the loop.

dubber123
02-04-2008, 02:45 AM
Yes, keep us posted, and wish Bruce well again for me.

cbrick
02-04-2008, 03:34 AM
hhmmm . . . And you left them there, right in the center of the SoCAL sewer. I can only assume there must be a good reason for that, I thought you guys were friends. Well, it could have been worse, had you abandoned them in South Central you could have been charged as an accomplice to their murder.

What are they doing there?

Rick

MT Gianni
02-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Glad they are in good hands. Gianni

9.3X62AL
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Some medical matters for Bruce at USC Medical Center. The hotel (in Montebello) is adjacent to a country club, and the area of the hotel is predominantly working- and middle-class Hispanic. I would be very comfortable staying at their hotel with my family.

Keep in mind--I'm a life-long resident of southern California, and my family has been here since 1851. I was a LEO here for 28 years--so I know where and where not to have friends and family visit and stay. The humorous thrust of my first post was meant to convey an impression of the Bannister's wonderment at seeing Los Angeles the first time. If some other impression was left, I am sorry for that.

9.3X62AL
02-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Just got off the phone with Bruce. Tests and that sort of thing today, and more of that in the morning tomorrow. Procedure date is tentatively Wednesday morning.

MGySgt
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
I sure as hell hope you left them with some protection~!

Please keep us posted and Tell Bruce more prayers are going out!

Drew

Swamprat1052
02-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Southern Cal is enough to send anyone into shock. I havent been to LAX but have flown out of Ontario a few times. I try to stay out of the LA area, I'm a country boy. Sure hope Bruce's test and procedure turn out well. We'll keep him in our prayers.

Swamprat

sundog
02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, Al. I'd expect anyone to be in goods hands with you at the helm.

Again, God Speed, Bruce and Karen.

9.3X62AL
02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
MGySgt--

They are in a condition to rise to any occasion that might occur--but the area where they are staying is pretty low risk.

Thanks in large part to television and talking head I'mWitless News, Los Angeles has the reputation of being immersed in violence 24/7, all 450 square miles of it. Not so, at all. Certain areas of it--like all cities--aren't real healthy to be in after dark. I would describe 7% to 10% as being that way. Most of the city is a lot safer than much of my home town ever was (San Bernardino). Seriously. Yeah, it's crowded and the freeways are a mess--but the freeways aren't much better where Rick and I live. Most of what I dislike about Angelenos is that THERE ARE SO DAMN MANY OF THEM--and that their city is so sprawlingly huge, roughly 25 miles N/S by 20 miles E/W. Our travels yesterday--a 25 mile east/west dogleg--was entirely within the LA city limits until about 2 miles from the hotel. It's a big place, but not scary once you know where not to go. A LOT of the crummy neighborhoods aren't that way any more--Lynwood is a case in point, land values going skyward caused areas to gentrify and rentals to become owner-occupied residences. If someone had said that in 1985 about Lynwood, they had to be on crack.

Bruce and Karen will be fine.

cbrick
02-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Makes perfect sense now. USC has medical offices, clinics and hospitals all over So. CA

Like I tried to convey, there are much worse areas.

All my best to Bruce, keep us posted.

Rick

MGySgt
02-05-2008, 10:42 AM
9.32X62Al -

Edited by Drew - Scrounger is right - Again!

And PLEASE keep us posted on Bruce.

Thank you

Drew

Scrounger
02-05-2008, 11:03 AM
9.32X62Al -

I don't even go to the store without something slipped in my pocket - Yes I do have a CCW.

With all the nuts out there - who knows when or where something is going to happen.

I really didn't think that you would leave them defensless - I didn't think Bruce would allow that either!

And PLEASE keep us posted on Bruce.

Thank you

Drew

That is the sort of thing we shouldn't talk about here. California Law does NOT recognize any other state"s CCW, so IF Bruce had "brought something" into the state, he would be guilty of a felony. We know that didn't happen. And IF Al had "helped" him, he too would have been guilty of a felony. We all know these things didn't happen and no good can come of speculating about the it.

fireflyfather
02-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Um, nobody said anything about CCW in LA. The guy that mentioned it is in Virginia. As for bringing something into LA, as long as it isn't an AW, class III, or similar, it's perfectly fine to bring hardware with you and keep it loaded in your hotel room, just like (almost) any other state.

Scrounger
02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Um, nobody said anything about CCW in LA. The guy that mentioned it is in Virginia. As for bringing something into LA, as long as it isn't an AW, class III, or similar, it's perfectly fine to bring hardware with you and keep it loaded in your hotel room, just like (almost) any other state.

it's perfectly fine to bring hardware with you and keep it loaded in your hotel room, just like (almost) any other state.[/quote]

You have documentation on that? It's news to me....

cobbmtmac
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Allen, I just happen on your post. We don't know any details other than reading between the lines.

Please pass on to Bruce that our thoughts are with him and Marlene and I wish for the most possitive out come!

I will keep checking the board for any follow up. Again---GOOD LUCK..!

onceabull
02-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Allen: It's good to know that Bruce & Karen have you at hand to assist in this matter..Please mention that B & J Onceabull have them in our thoughts/prayers.. Thx, :) Onceabull

9.3X62AL
02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
A short update......Bruce, Karen, Buckshot (AKA Rick and a few other noms de plume), Donna, Marie and I had dinner together last night. Baby back ribs figured highly in this affair, and we all went forth several pounds heavier than at the start of the meal.

I should note that Bruce & Karen have some computer access at the hotel, and have been able to look on and see the outpouring of good wishes and prayer advisements posted here. They wanted me to pass along their heartfelt thanks for the kind words and friendly encouragement expressed by all here.

Bruce was to be at the hospital at 0700 hours this morning, with the procedure set to begin @ 1000 and require 3-4 hours to complete. As soon as I hear any news--it will be added here.

Our own thoughts and prayers go forth now for excellent outcomes and fast, comfortable recovery.

Allen and Marie

P.S. No laws were broken, and no animals were harmed during the production of this event. :)

dubber123
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
A short update......Bruce, Karen, Buckshot (AKA Rick and a few other noms de plume), Donna, Marie and I had dinner together last night. Baby back ribs figured highly in this affair, and we all went forth several pounds heavier than at the start of the meal.

I should note that Bruce & Karen have some computer access at the hotel, and have been able to look on and see the outpouring of good wishes and prayer advisements posted here. They wanted me to pass along their heartfelt thanks for the kind words and friendly encouragement expressed by all here.

Bruce was to be at the hospital at 0700 hours this morning, with the procedure set to begin @ 1000 and require 3-4 hours to complete. As soon as I hear any news--it will be added here.

Our own thoughts and prayers go forth now for excellent outcomes and fast, comfortable recovery.

Allen and Marie

P.S. No laws were broken, and no animals were harmed during the production of this event. :)

"No animals were harmed during the production of this event"[Quote]
So those were Tofu baby back ribs you were stuffing yourselves on?, I'm betting the origional owner of those ribs has a different take on that![smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
02-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Well, WE didn't harm the critters. Does that count?

dubber123
02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, WE didn't harm the critters. Does that count?

We'll let you guys slide......this time.:-D

RugerFan
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, our thoughts and paryers are with you Bruce. May you be back at the range in no time.

A few years ago I was stranded in LA for 3 days awaiting another flight. One thing I noticed was the level of dress of the weather girl on a local news channel was ...uh... somewhat revealing. I've been through most states in this country and had never seen anything like it anywhere else. Must be an LA thing.

9.3X62AL
02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I just finished speaking with Karen about Bruce's sitch, and it's all golden.

As expected, the surgical procedure took about 4 hours' time--and no surprises were noted. The initial plan had been for Bruce to spend ~48 hours in ICU following the procedure--not happening, he was sent to a step-down unit (medico-speak for "He's in much better shape than we expected.") and as I spoke to Karen on the phone Bruce could be heard very plainly and energetically saying "TELL HIM TO BRING BEER!" Bruce sounded VERY good, even in the background.

I am once again reminded of the power of prayer, and left humbled in the presence of its work.

Allen Paine

dubber123
02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Great! Glad all went well for Bruce. By all means get the man a beer!

twotrees
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Prayres still going up for him from here in Ga.

TwoTrees and RedFoxy

waksupi
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Excellent news! Good for you, Bruce!

Nueces
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Good news, indeed! Big Bruce, I just popped a Corona in your honor (your Lady, too, of course). To both of you.

And, thanks to Al and Rick for being there.

Mark

MT Gianni
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Glad to hear it. Gianni

Buckshot
02-07-2008, 01:05 AM
..................BruceB is a tough ole bird, but I'm sure the prayers, kind thoughts and best wishes helped. He seemed in fine fettle last night, and it occured to me that he was the ONLY one that ordered a whole rack of ribs :-)

..................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
02-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Hey--that's right!

Manana, senor.

walltube
02-07-2008, 01:47 AM
and now the man wants beer? G-D is good!

I'm finishing another Abita 'Turbo Dog' in celebration of Mr. Bannister's hail for a beer. Good news indeed.

DLCTEX
02-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Glad to hear a good report. DALE

singleshotbuff
02-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Get well Bruce.

Even though we've never met, or even spoken, we share a common brotherhood of the silver stream.

Best to you, get your ass back on the range ASAP!! lol

All joking aside, sincere wishes for a speedy recovery and good health, from the currently waterlogged northeast.

SSB

mroliver77
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Prayers said in Ohio on your behalf Bruce. I toast you sucess with a Shell Cappacino.
J

cobbmtmac
02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
GREAT NEWS!!!

Bruce and Karen, we just want to add our delight from reading the positive news!:-D We wish you a speedy recovery. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

We also commend Al, Rick and all those that have been with you. We know that their support means everything. :drinks:

Love to all, Mac & Marlene

9.3X62AL
02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Rick and I driove to L.A. today for a visit with Bruce. It was an interesting day, which I will describe in this post. Bruce continues to do very well, and sounds great over the phone. That may seem a little strange, since we drove there to visit--but bear with me, and clarity will emerge.

I picked Rick up about 9:30 A.M., and off we went to The Big City. We stopped enroute to pick up Karen at her hotel, and the class upgrade her addition to the cab enabled was considerable.

We exit the freeway after a very smooth trip, and as I approach the hospital I can see not one parking slot or curbside open to use. Zero. Zip. Nada. OK, no sweat--there's a parking garage at the hospital, I'll use that.

I thought.

At the ticket kiosk, I ask the booth guy if the truck (Dodge 1500 4x4, camper shell and jonboat/ladder rack) would fit--the sign said "6'-10" CLEARANCE". He said, "Sure". I've taped the height--it is 6' 7". OK, off we go. As we start up the drive ramps, I can see that the concrete supports above us are passing VERY CLOSE to the roof rack--maybe 1" of clearance. Some thoughts start to enter my mind here........Los Angeles has sports teams, movie stars, freeway police pursuits.......and earthquakes. Structures settle.

Not good.

By the time we get to Level 2, I pass under a support and hear the faint scraping of my roof rack on said support. OK, game over--I'm getting out of here, because I know if I get this rig stuck there will be a large number of very pissed-off people in the USC Medical Center--and I can do without the fame that an Internet photo or Youtube video would provide. No, hell no. I get the truck turned around, and us OUT of that trucktrap. Memo to self--borrow step-daughter's Acura roller skate for next trip.

At the exit gate, the lady asked for $1.25 fee. "To find out my truck doesn't fit?" I ask. She looked at the timestamp and waved me through. I dropped off Karen and Rick, then went in search of a parking stall.

To make a long story short--not only was there not one parking stall open within a mile of the hospital--there wasn't even a place to STOP. After a couple unproductive circuits around the block, I pulled into a Chevron station at Soto & I-10--this to make a cell call to Karen, to assure her that I had not been abducted by aliens--illegal or otherwise. I am stopped not more than ten seconds when an employee walks toward me (I'm off to the side of the station, away from the islands) and shouts for me to "EITHER BUY GAS, OR LEAVE--NO PARK HERE!!" I show him the cell phone, and he repeats the eviction notice.

What a place.

I expand the circuit a bit more, seeking parking. I check a private lot under the apparent care and management of an obvious parolee/heroin addict--I can park there for $10.00/hour, but will need to leave the keys so he can move it around to let people out. I wondered how many times that line worked today, the "lot" was about 2/3 full. P.T. Barnum was right. I demurred, and drove away as he said "You won't find nothin'". Maybe so, I thought--but neither will YOU.

The sojourn continued on its unproductive course, and I called Karen to make sure no one had reported me missing. I got to talk with Bruce for a short time, he sure sounded good over the phone. I thought about asking Rick to switch places with me in the truck while I visited Bruce--but I don't think a long visit is a good idea to a patient out of surgery for less than 24 hours--his apparent condition notwithstanding. Rick had been up there for about a half hour. Another factor arguing against this swap was that Rick had mentioned having been to Los Angeles VERY infrequently, and that driving in the city had a lot to do with that preference. Rick came out shortly thereafter, and we got headed back to a place with fewer people and more parking. FWIW--I found exactly one (1) parking space during my search--this was 0.8 miles from the hospital.

The drive home was uneventful--for us, at least. There was a BIG multi-car pile-up about halfway home, it looked like a fire truck and ambulance sales lot doing light-bar tests. Rick showed me a damn good Mexican restaurant I hadn't tried before, and I pigged out. A fine day, with good company--it made even Los Angeles pleasant.

7s&8s
02-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Bruce & Karen,
Glad to hear the great news! Glad there's some familiar faces at your side... at least several out of the 9.9 million!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery and safe return. There are a couple of the new and tasty suds now on tap at the Martin Hotel with your names on them when you get back...
By the way, the weather warmed up today and would appear the spring thaw is upon us.
Best Regards,
Tom

fireflyfather
02-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Sorry for thread hijack: Good to hear Bruce is well.

If you are in doubt of CA gun laws, visit ww.calguns.net, where you can get all the info you need. The short version is, if the gun is legal to own in the state (not AW, no hicap mags, etc), and you are not a felon/crazy, you can bring it in. A hotel is considered your "residence" while you are there, as is a campsite (although most parks have no gun rules). Once you step out the door, however, you'd better be disarmed if you want to stay within the law (barring any number of exceptions). If you are changing residence (staying longer than a few days), then you have to fill out some forms and "register" it.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I spoke to Karen a little while ago, and they have Bruce up out of bed and walking around some. Not a lot else to report, other than continuing rapid recovery and a likely shortened hospital convalescense. The predicted release date from the hospital--Wednesday--may be getting moved up a couple days. Total speculation, that last per Karen.

Tomorrow's plan is for Marie and I to try a visit to Bruce in the morning--meet Karen there--and go back to her hotel after the visit for check-out. There should be time for lunch, then back to LAX for Karen's flight home. There are a couple questions about Bruce's luggage to resolve tomorrow, just some logistical stuff that will be suited to Bruce's needs and preferences.

For general information--we'll use Marie's Jeep for tomorrow's Los Angeles tour. It fits in the city a lot better.

sundog
02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Okay, Bruce is up. That may or may not be good news. I recon he's gettin' ready to terrorize the place.

Oh, I guess one cannot say that anymore.

Go for it Bruce!

waksupi
02-09-2008, 12:34 AM
clandestine report - spies have let it be known, that Bruce has recruited the hospital staff, and is now sponsoring a beer bash, on the third floor. Dancing girls to start at 9 PM, with festivities continueing, until it is time to change bed pans, and sponge bath time. All female personel are instructed to report to Bruce's room at that time.

onceabull
02-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Quickly now, Call Bruce's room and warn him , Nurse Ratched's grand-daughter works there....( IT MUST BE TRUE, I saw it on the internet !! ) :twisted: Onceabull :twisted:

9.3X62AL
02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Marie and I drove to the USC Med Ctr this mid-morning for a visit with Bruce--one that I could participate in, anyway. We learned that the Med Center area has ABUNDANT street parking very close at hand--on Saturdays. The parking structure was same-o/same-o, we put the Jeep on the lowest level right next to the Center's entrance. What a difference a day (or 2) makes.

Once signed in and on Bruce's floor, I cannot over-emphasize the disappointment felt at the absence of the dancing girls spoken of above. Even The Swedish Bikini Team--whose svelte attributes have spoiled more than one range day in my experience--were no-shows. They have become quite unreliable since Ron Starick moved to Prescott. There's a story there, but the facts might alter it markedly.

Bruce looked GOOD. Bright, chipper, and his usual effusive joke-cracking self. He told a GREAT one that my old priest would have enjoyed immensely. His room is a general med/surg floor, a lesser care intensity level than a "step-down" unit per Marie. About the only "negative" to report is that confinement to the bed causes him a bit of muscle and joint stiffness (been there/done that my own self). He is taking laps around the nurses' station periodically, with no real discomfort claimed other than the stiffness cited above. My view--he looks almost ready to go to Alberta right now. The closed season is kind of a deal-killer, though.

After our visit, Karen left with us to do the hotel check-out bit and head for LAX. Karen is scheduled for sky-out just after 4 P.M., and by now should be leaving the airport with Bill and Fran.

Traffic at LAX was less intense than last weekend, but the traffic to and from was DOGMATIC. The warm weather (70's) prompted every car that could start in Los Angeles County to occupy the freeways today, as bad or worse than rush hour at some points. As always, the best view of metro L.A. is obtained in one's rear view mirror as you enter Montclair.

Updates as the sitch indicates.

MT Gianni
02-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the update Al. How long is he expected to stay in LA? Gianni

9.3X62AL
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Delayed response to Gianni's question--discharge is likely today, not confirmed with the medicos at this writing, though. No other real news to report, I've spoken with Bruce by phone each day since our last visit. He continues to mend right along, but as you might expect he wants to get out and head home. At the start of the process, today was the projected discharge date--so (again) the entire procedure has been free of surprises and left turns.

Bill--when Bruce calls and advises of pending discharge--I'll call you.

9.3X62AL
02-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Bruce called this morning and advised that the docs would be cutting him loose about noon, so I got involved with helping a friend store his travel trailer. Of course, the friend wanted to The New Canoe--so I was giving him a guided tour as Bruce called and said he was DISCHARGED. At 10:00 A.M.

Time to haul ass. I cleared out for L.A., and arrived with some slack time remaining before Bruce's flight was scheduled to leave. I said to myself--self, if you had been trapped in a hospital room and bed for 7 days--what is the first thing YOU would like to do? Of course--visit a good gunshop.

Bruce was up for it. Hell, he looked ready to hunt Alberta again, immediately. We sojourned southeasterly down I-5 to Westminster, and stopped at the Stockade. I should explain that the Stockade is what Heaven's Waiting Room looks like. VERY well-stocked reloading section--they have 25-35, 250 Savage, 32-20, and 44-40 brass in stock, for the sake of example. HUNDREDS of guns on display--shotguns, rifles, rollerpistols and bottomfeeders in large numbers. Bruce found toolheads for his Dillon 550, and I got my first look at the Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 with the thicker barrels. I LIKE THEM--A LOT. Here in the PRC, the Governator and his hoplophobic killjoys at Cal-DOJ have ordained that self-loading centerfire rifles with military patterning are intrinsically evil, so we can't have new AR-15s or AK derivatives. The Rugers are still kosher, though--so seeing a Mini-14 with its principal accuracy issue getting addessed and MUCH BETTER iron sights on the Ranch Rifle variants was truly cool. If a few of the safe queens find new homes, I'm getting one of these for rat strafing. I mentioned selling the present Mini-14 to Marie to finance the acquisition--"YOU WILL NOT!" OK, then........

Bruce should be picking up his checked luggage as I finish this. I'm sure he is happy to be back in the United States, and we tried to make his stay in the PRC a comfy one. Y'all come back now--ya hear?

BruceB
02-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice to be back!

Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers; they are deeply appreciated.

What I had here was a lymph-system cancer in the nodes of my right groin. The Doc removed several dozen nodes and three were malignant. It left me with a new zipper from my hipbone right down to the lowest point of the groin area, about seven inches long.

The major problem for the immediate future is that a re-appearance of the cancer in the left-side nodes is almost an even (or worse) bet...something on the order of a 50-60% likelihood. Therefore, I'll have to go through the whole procedure again sometime in the next six months or so, and at the same time my surgeon will also remove nodes "in the pelvic area". So, it ain't over yet, but I'm mighty glad that it's underway.

USC University Hospital is a truly excellent institution, staffed by people are competent in the extreme, and who CARE and are very considerate of their patients. It simply couldn't be any better, as far as I can see...and even the food is very decent.

Costs are scary. I hadn't been in any hospital for 25 years, and that was in Canada where one never sees a bill. On Monday, two days before I was released, I learned that the total had reached over $64,000 and would likely be over $90,000 before I 'escaped'. Fortunately, my company's health plan has provisions that limit my personal costs to a small fraction of the total.

My good friends NVCurmudgeon and Deputy Al (9.3x62Al) performed great services for my wife and I, making a difficult time MUCH easier. I thanked them personally, and wish to thank them again here, in the friendly environs of our Board.

Now, getting back to IMPORTANT stuff, I have a major .35 Remington project to kick off, and a bit of time to do it, since I'm not going back to work until a week from tonight. Due to the generosity of garandsrus, jtnichols, and NVcurmudgeon, I have bullets and brass a-plenty to get the show off the ground. Many others offered contributions as well. Thanks, y'all!

It truly is great to be back, but GOOD GRIEF!!! Do you guys realize how much "stuff" you've generated here since I've been away??? It'll take me 'bout a week just to get caught up on all the posts and new topics that I missed-out on! Lovin' it...

HORNET
02-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Bruce,
Glad to hear that you made it out of the clutches of the medical establishment (and L.A.) and are on the road to recovery. Just take it easy while things heal back up (Seems that I've been writing that a lot lately). It's not good that you might have to go back but at least you know what's involved now so it won't be as bad. Welcome back!!
P.S. I agree about the sheer volume of posts. I've had to stop trying to keep up with everything and just track my favorite topics.

MT Gianni
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Great to see you posting again, Bruce. As an aside a discussion on bullet boxes in an old Handloader showed the medium held in plastic zip lock baggies of 1 gallon size. I don't know if that would reduce the hydraulic shock but thought i would mention it before I forgot and where you would see it. Gianni

garandsrus
02-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Bruce,

It's glad to have you back! Have fun with getting back into the swing of things...

John

45nut
02-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I am certainly happy to see the BruceB handle active once again. It just proves that despite my own experience there may indeed be doctors worthy of respect. The days of Marcus Welby are long past in my area.

Regarding the volume of activity, we generally see about 800 members checking in daily. A good number of them post and we have been adding members at almost 300 a month. The old days of catching up from a week absence in an hour or two are long gone also.

Progress can be measured in many ways.................

sundog
02-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome back, Bruce. The close in by standers have it tough, too, so give Karen a big Valentine's hug. You don't need to hug Al or Curmudg, unless you really want, that is...

Anyway, home is the place to heal!

Buckshot
02-15-2008, 03:48 AM
.................Anyone having a 'friend', in the truest sense of the word like 9.3x62AL is a lucky person indeed. We ALL have lots of aquaintances, but to have one, or a couple true friends is a real blessing, and Al is one.

I was glad to be able to see Bruce the one time, and it was a shame he had to be in a hospital bed. Never is one so vulnerable :-) You're captive, and at their leisure to be stuck, prodded, poked and told what you can and cannot do, and when you can and cannot do it, HA! I should'a took a picture!

Best to you Bruce, and heal up quick!

BTW, I was at the dump today getting rid of a bunch of brush and thought of you. Pretty odd, eh? Someone had dumped 6-8 pieces of 12" and 14" OD Blue-Bell pipe and I thought, "There's Bruce's Boolit catcher'!

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
02-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the kind words, you guys.

With all that Bruce and Karen have done over the years concerning NCBS--the hunting trip of a lifetime Bruce invited me to in Alberta--and all the mould swapping and gifting over time--I would be a poor excuse for a friend if I couldn't lend a few hours here and there to assist with logistics and try to ease their way around. I like their company under any circumstances, and while I would prefer they not be involved in the medical process to enable their visit--time with friends is precious and scarce.