PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Critter

cuzinbruce
10-05-2014, 09:09 AM
I sneaked up on this critter last night. 6 points, no brow tines, small body deer. Two spikes were with him. Ground was wet so I could move around quietly. And I don't live in the country, this is NJ, 10 miles from the George Washington Bridge to NYC. There is no where to hunt around here without driving for an hour or more.

Grendel99
10-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Very cool, nice looking buck. How bad would the neighbors raise hell if they heard a shot and saw a dead deer? Or are you in a neighborhood with houses close by?

cuzinbruce
10-05-2014, 09:53 AM
That is the neighbor's house in the background! No hunting for MILES. 1/4 acre lots mostly.

MrWolf
10-05-2014, 09:53 AM
In this stinking state if anyone heard a shot they would probably call in an air strike :violin:

Hamish
10-05-2014, 10:55 AM
This is a prime example of what a bow with a string tracker is for,,,,,,,

Hardcast416taylor
10-05-2014, 11:26 AM
A year or so back there was a boob tube show on cable called "Chasing `tail". It was about hunting whitetails in Conn where bow hunting is all that is allowed in their area. The area was over run with deer and yet the rich ritzy people didn`t want them thinned by hunting.Robert

NavyVet1959
10-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I seldom see bucks around my neighborhood, but there are plenty of does and fawns. They are not that large and not even worth the trouble of harvesting (not that it would be legal to shoot around there anyway). They are not so tame that you would consider them pets, but it is not uncommon to have one standing a few feet away from your car as you are stopped at a stop sign.

brassrat
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
I spent a day reroofing in that ritzy area of Ct, 20 yrs ago or so. Later in the day and after leaving with a bar friend and his scumbag ripoff pal, the roads and yards were literally covered with deer. Dozens and dozens of groups of a couple to 10 or more.

runfiverun
10-06-2014, 09:52 PM
I watched a hunting show earlier this week where they were bow hunting deer in new jersey [airc] they were using their range finders on stuff in the yards [bird baths. cable boxes, gnomes] to set their distances.
the last one was shot over the top of a hot tub.

Reverend Al
10-06-2014, 11:54 PM
These two hang out in our front yard regularly ... and eat my wife's plants. Makes her crazy and they aren't scared of people anymore and just saunter off if you holler at them.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/Misc/Wehadsomefriendsoverforlunch003Large_zps3d8251a7.j pg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/Misc/Wehadsomefriendsoverforlunch003Large_zps3d8251a7.j pg.html)

Lonegun1894
10-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Doesn't there come a point in time when you quit hunting and start protecting your property, even if it is with a bow?

NavyVet1959
10-07-2014, 02:40 PM
These two hang out in our front yard regularly ... and eat my wife's plants. Makes her crazy and they aren't scared of people anymore and just saunter off if you holler at them.

We get people around here that complain about the deer eating their plants also. They don't realize that if you plant a buffet for them, they will keep coming back. There are plants that the deer do not like to eat and if you choose them, they will leave you alone. I have watched them walk down the street at night, going from house to house as if it was a buffet line. They apparently don't like the plants that I have in my yard since they will avoid it.

Sounds to me like you should get yourself a paintball gun and "mark" the deer that come within range if you insist on keeping a buffet planting around your house.

Reverend Al
10-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Well, unfortunately living up here in "Kanuckistan" like I do and being in a residential neighbourhood if I pulled out even a paintball gun and walked out into my front yard with it there would be an "ERT" callout to my address. (Emergency Response Team ... Canadian version of SWAT). They'd run my address first, see that I have always held a Canadian RPAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence for firearms including Restricted firearms aka handguns) and the "black Ninjas" would be all over my property like ants! We'll just have to settle for turning the hose on them if needs be ... at least that won't get me an "ERT" callout .... I hope! :(

Yodogsandman
10-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Ya gotta bait em into the cellar.:kidding:

cuzinbruce
10-07-2014, 08:12 PM
I am tempted to try setting a snare, except that the antlers would get in the way.

randyrat
10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
You want to see them get real jittery and run like a cat on a hot tin roof, just buy a Deer tag and put on blaze orange, same goes with Black bear.

WallyM3
10-07-2014, 08:38 PM
You want to see them get real jittery and run like a cat on a hot tin roof, just buy a Deer tag and put on blaze orange, same goes with Black bear.

Ain't that the truth. I almost took advantage of my property setting to whack a Moose (one of a few) that have ambled through my meadow here on rte. 313 in VT. No blaze orange, just an home built .35 Whelen off the porch. Didn't seem fair, some how.

44man
10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
So much gunfire in NY, Why worry.
But we have deer in the yard all the time and I will not hunt my woods anymore because the deer are used to me and the dogs. I just don't want to shoot without hunting. I could sit on my deck and kill deer. As bad as driving the roads and shooting deer under apple trees in front yards.
I love to hunt squirrels and have as many as 7 at our bird feeder when food is scarce.. Carol gets pissed but I will not shoot them, I need to go way back in the woods.
Would anyone shoot those deer in the yard?
I will not kill a tame rabbit either. I can't kill a chicken and ours die of old age.
We hunters get soft with love for the animals.
I have an old dog with a huge tumor on a mammary. Someone else will have to do it when she gets bad.
We have mulberry trees in the yard and I would be out with my little dog, she would sit and watch the deer and a few came within 10 yards of us. Even though my dog would eat a whole deer, she does not even bark at deer. Deer do not fear her or me. That is not hunting.

Ramslammer
10-09-2014, 03:47 PM
G'Day
We have the same with Wallaby in our yard. Will drive up the bush to shoot them but leave the "Pet" ones alone.
This one was at the school over the road. Not bad for a nocturnal animal!
Juddy

44man
10-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I also have doves at my feeder but will not shoot at them.
There is a difference. Anyone can shoot but I prefer hunting. So good to hear many of you feel the same.
Seems we get softer with age. It makes you a better person. I might die in a tree stand and will never stop hunting but I will never go up to farm raised animals and shoot one either.

pls1911
10-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Multiple traee rats (aka Squirrels) on the feeder?
At less than 30 feet: tin pie plate,+ food+ 12 gauge +18" cylinder bore barrel, +#7.5 reclaimed birdshot= POOF!
Rat control.

pls1911
10-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Multiple tree rats (aka Squirrels) on the feeder?
At less than 30 feet: tin pie plate,+ food+ 12 gauge +18" cylinder bore barrel, +#7.5 reclaimed birdshot= POOF!
Rat control.

youngda9
10-10-2014, 04:36 PM
No urban bow season ?

cuzinbruce
10-10-2014, 06:15 PM
No urban bow season. The bleeding hearts want to give them deer birth control