PDA

View Full Version : veranda time

doc1876
10-04-2014, 07:56 PM
I am sitting on the back porch overlooking the field having a dark cigar and a mango margarita. how many of us take time to relax in such a archaic ancient way.

DHurtig
10-04-2014, 08:10 PM
I play a free roll Texas hold em tournament every day and a couple times a week will enjoy a Bloody Mary, a red beer made with Bloody Mary mix or an Angry Orchard with a shot of cinnamon whiskey in it. How ever after a massive heart attack which led to 7 by passes I gave up cigarettes after 35 years and I smoked an occasional cigar. For 2 years after quitting I was still reaching for my shirt pocket when I went outdoors. Still crave the occasional but I'm afraid it would lead back to cigarettes. Sure do miss those rare cigars though.

runfiverun
10-04-2014, 08:10 PM
it's cold out there, sitting around bundled up in a coat ain't too fun.
I do enjoy sitting out back under the crab apple tree during the month or two it's nice enough to do so though.

MaryB
10-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Love my back deck, 14x20 foot area to enjoy with friends or by myself to relax on a nice day. Looks out over the fields to my north.

375supermag
10-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Hi...
I have never smoked and quit drinking alcohol over 20 years ago.
I do occasionally have a draft beer when eating dinner out...maybe 1-2 times a year.

Will sit on the deck in the afternoon with an iced tea or in the morning or evening with a cup of hot Earl Grey tea.

runfiverun
10-04-2014, 08:37 PM
hey Mag,, it's been a while.

williamwaco
10-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I love the back porch.

In nice weather, I will spend at least an hour a day out there playing ball with the dogs.

MaryB
10-05-2014, 04:07 AM
was out there right at dusk tonight, watched a doe wander across the yard then back into the corn. Peaceful even tho I am technically in town I have farm on 2 sides a horse pasture across the street.

smokeywolf
10-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Wish I was in a more rural setting. Feel like a convict in a cell living in the city. My relax time, my meditation time is when I take Timber "The Goofy Wolf" for his walks. Got one coming up in an hour or so.

smokeywolf

762 shooter
10-05-2014, 06:45 AM
The wife and I start every day sitting in the back screen porch drinking coffee and watch the world wake up. A hummingbird chirp or two, bird chatter, donkey bray, dog bark, chicken laying an asteroid and on cold mornings an occasional lion bellow and huff, (zoo down the road).

Stop and smell the roses.

Wayne Smith
10-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Spent last evening in good conversation with good friends around the firepit I built sitting on our back patio. Making somemore's, too.

MT Gianni
10-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Summers I will sit on the back part of the deck and read until 9:45 in July and early Aug. I love the length of our mid summer days. If it is a mosquito heavy year that isn't always fun but keeps you busy swatting.

Nazgul
10-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Take the kayak to the small lake that is nearby in the morning before sunup. Have my coffee and watch it drive the mist off the water, occasionally watch the Bald Eagles soar in the early sunlight.

Don

Taylor
10-05-2014, 01:35 PM
My pipe and some Makers Mark.

EMC45
10-05-2014, 02:39 PM
On the porch now with my pipe and coffee. Do it everyday.

dolang1
10-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I smoked a pipe for 30 years. I gave up tobacco 9 years ago. I still miss it. I guess the first 10 years are the hardest.
Now when I sit on the porch, I shoot flip targets with 22s.

waynem34
10-05-2014, 04:08 PM
I wish you all were my neighbors.I have very close neighbors.Everyone sees everything.I don't mind too much though.I like my privacy a lot and have very little here.I do have one area of my property no one can see me across the branch.They have to walk over to see me drinking a few beers and listening to the radio.Quit tobacco 13 years ago I'm 42 now.I love the smell of pipe tobacco,cigarettes,and cigars.Leaves are falling now so I will lose some of my cover.But no worries.

dale2242
10-05-2014, 07:54 PM
My wife and I sit under the shade of the maple tree in the front yard.
Can`t see neighbors from there.
We drink our coffee. At times I like my tequila and squirt.
A friend calls it a derelict margarita.
Near 90 today. Deer season opened Saturday and it is dry....dale

doc1876
10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't get to do it myself very often, but yesterday was a 53 degree day, I just could not pass it up. when my son comes in every year or so we try to spend one evening doing this. It's kind of a family tradition. I used to do this, occasionally, with my father.

MaryB
10-05-2014, 10:34 PM
I have a tree I keep trimming that is shaped like an umbrella that almost touches the ground on the outer edges. I call it my picnic table tree because that is where I eat with friends when I have a BBQ. Love my privacy even though I am on the main road through town. Low traffic after 8pm most nights.

EMC45
10-06-2014, 10:28 AM
I do live in town as well. See my neighbors all around me. Occasional loud music car and sirens. Wish I was in the woods somewhere...........

mold maker
10-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I gave up all alcohol and tobacco many years ago, but coffee or tea and a Sunday afternoon on the glassed in side porch is pure joy. A good magazine or book between the squirrels and humming birds, give a welcome relaxation to the week days drudgery.
Wish I had understood this when I was much younger.

reloader28
10-06-2014, 10:21 PM
I dont have a porch, but the wife and I got our hands on a load of bricks 3 years ago and made ourselves a patio out the door of the mancave.(which I will add has a pretty well stocked bar).

I built a massive log swing and set it in front of the firepit. We sit out there almost every night for the 4 warm months and watch the sun set over the Beartooth mountains while sipping on homemade wine or a homebrew.