PDA

View Full Version : 444 Marlin in handi rifle

dh2
10-04-2014, 12:44 AM
I have thought of trying a 444 Marlin for years, to the point of building up a good collection of j-word's in 260gr. FP and 300gr cast FP , while in a local store a new rifle picked me out a handi-rifle in 444 Marlin, so I have started researching load data my Lyman cast bullet hand book spends most of it's space telling about how short the over all length to function in the Marlin lever action a round must be , this does nothing for me they show data for no cast boolit heavier than 240 gr. I do cast this one for .44 Rem Mag. But I have found no data for all of these 300gr. boolits that I have , to me it is like they would be ideal for this rifle, I would like to find data for this round pushed by IMR4198 or IMR3031. with all the post about these rifles I am sure some one know about how they take to cast boolits and COL they will work with.

so some one educate me here
Thanks
dh2

Tatume
10-04-2014, 07:26 AM
I have thought of trying a 444 Marlin for years, to the point of building up a good collection of j-word's in 260gr. FP and 300gr cast FP , while in a local store a new rifle picked me out a handi-rifle in 444 Marlin, so I have started researching load data my Lyman cast bullet hand book spends most of it's space telling about how short the over all length to function in the Marlin lever action a round must be , this does nothing for me they show data for no cast boolit heavier than 240 gr.

Use jacketed data and reduce them to suit your needs.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Gtek
10-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Powder is your call, COAL is what your single poke is. Take a sized, unprimed, unpowdered case and seat boolit about 80-90%. Very, Very light thumb push in chamber, take vernier tail and measure how much from rear of case to barrel face. Do the math (-x) and there is your starting point within a couple.

Bullshop Junior
10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I have thought of trying a 444 Marlin for years, to the point of building up a good collection of j-word's in 260gr. FP and 300gr cast FP , while in a local store a new rifle picked me out a handi-rifle in 444 Marlin, so I have started researching load data my Lyman cast bullet hand book spends most of it's space telling about how short the over all length to function in the Marlin lever action a round must be , this does nothing for me they show data for no cast boolit heavier than 240 gr. I do cast this one for .44 Rem Mag. But I have found no data for all of these 300gr. boolits that I have , to me it is like they would be ideal for this rifle, I would like to find data for this round pushed by IMR4198 or IMR3031. with all the post about these rifles I am sure some one know about how they take to cast boolits and COL they will work with.

so some one educate me here
Thanks
dh2

The early Marlin 444 rifles had a very slow twist and would not stabilize heavier bullets. Im not sure what twist NEF uses.

jmort
10-05-2014, 11:21 PM
1:20"

http://www.realguns.com/articles/553.htm

Bullshop Junior
10-05-2014, 11:25 PM
That should stabilize a 300gn bullet I would think.

gpidaho
10-05-2014, 11:28 PM
dh2: One thing I find handy about Handi rifles Encores and such is that you can just open them up drop in the boolit you want to use, give it a very light push with a wooden dowel measure back to the breech face with the depth end of your caliper and do the math, This will give you max COL and how deep your boolit is seated in the case. Pretty Handi GP

jmort
10-05-2014, 11:29 PM
"That should stabilize a 300gn bullet I would think."

It do. 300 grains is optimum

Digital Dan
10-05-2014, 11:29 PM
It will do so. The Ruger 77/44 has a 20" twist and I have been shooting 300 grain bullets for about 15 years with very good accuracy.

geezer56
10-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I have the same rifle. I use the Lee C310-430-RF boolit, cast up with 50-50 WW and pure. Powder is a case full to the bottom of the boolit, H-335. That is a few gr. below max, but I don't like very compressed loads. I have shot a couple of marauding possums and one large feral swine with that gun and load. It is impressive to say the least. The 444 is overlooked and under appreciated. I must be some sort of weirdo though, I don't like lever guns, so that makes the single shot the only other game in town.

Larrypeterson
10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Friends,

I shoot a 444 handy rifle and use both 265 and 320 grain boolets. I will admit that I shoot a whole lot more 44 Mag in my 444 marlin than I do the 444. I know this is not totally acceptable for some folks, however it makes for a wonderful target shooting day when you want to shoot 200 or more rounds. The 444 loaded with 320 grain slugs give me a bit of shoulder pain after about 30 shots.

I am really impressed with the accuracy and hit-power of this round. I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend this rifle to anyone that likes to shoot a whole lot and wants to keep the cost down by reloading. I swage half jackets with a semi-wad cutter hollow points and round nose mostly. I just finished the "Aneat press", (similar to the Walnut Hill) and so I will be making full copper jackets as soon as I get the dies finished. I really like this thread and the article. Thanks, LP

big bore 99
10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
I thought a slower twist is preferable for a longer/heavier boolitt??

Elkins45
10-06-2014, 06:14 PM

No, it's just the opposite.

Bullshop Junior
10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

The longer the bullet, the faster the twist has to be to stabilize it.