PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Kurtz Again

StarMetal
09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Well took the 260 Rem out again and with just sized up 243 brass that I wanted to fire form, it held a consistant 1.5 in group at 100 yards with a dirty barrel from the previous outting. The load was the one I used before which was 29 grs of surplus 844 and Dacron filler. This time I chronoed it and the velocity was 2414 fps which translate to 193120 which is well up there for a 6.5 cast bullet. I'm satisfied with the way my 260 is shooting cast now.

Those moulds have been shipped quite a while ago and I'm not seeing alot of activity posted with them here, just a few. You fellows buying them and letting them set on the shelf?

Joe

Buckshot
09-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Joe, sounds like you're doing well. That velocity with ANY boolit is very good. I'm going to have to just set aside some time and cast. I've been living off boolit's I'd had cast for quite some time, but have begun to run out of my favorites. On top of that, I haven't even touched the 3 new 6 cavity moulds yet!

..............Buckshot

Maineboy
09-20-2005, 05:44 AM
[Those moulds have been shipped quite a while ago and I'm not seeing alot of activity posted with them here, just a few. You fellows buying them and letting them set on the shelf?

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe, except for the initial field test of my mould the day after it arrived, which consisted of about 100 boolits, I haven't cast anything. Mine is on the shelf but not forgotten. This has been a great summer for everything but casting and shooting. We've moved from town to the lake and I've been working on both places, making this one more liveable and the house in town more saleable. We've had our first grandbaby. Things are changing though. The house in town is being sold today and many of my chores up here are about done. I expect to fire up the brand new bottom pour pot I purchased last month for these multi cavity moulds and do some serious casting and shooting, especially with the Kurtz and my 2 Swedes. Ironically, the town I'm living in living in now (population about 200) was settled by Swedish immigrants.

Bob S
09-20-2005, 10:12 AM
I just picked up an Oberndorf 1899 for a song because it is drilled and tapped. It turns out it is drilled and tapped for the Soderin sight, which I just happen to have sitting on the shelf. Its bore is being de-coppered now, and looks to be a lengthy process! When that is done, I will unearth the other Swedes and the brass and tools get busy that mould. Looking forward to it.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

P.S. I note the Lothar Walther makes a commercial replacement barrel for the 1896 Swede ... I wonder what the twist is ... ? Something to ponder. I just picked up a Lother Walther GEW 98 profile barrel in .308 to replace the sleeved-chamber 7.62 barrel on my Chilean 1912/67. Not cheap, but the quality sure is top-notch. If the L-W long Swede barrel is in a more "cast-friendly" twist, like 1:8-point-something like the CG 63's, or 1:9, it might be a worthwhile "investment".

StarMetal
09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Bob s

Don't count on a 1 in 8 or even a 1 in 9 twist being more friendly on 6.5 cast bullets as my 260 is a 1 in 9 twist and it was a devil to get to shoot. I have to agree with Bass Ackwards in a statement he made to me that he believes there's more to getting a Swede to shoot then the twist, we suspect it's the diameter and lenght of a 6.5 bullet and has to do with it's initial movement down the barrel.

Joe

Bob S
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
Joe:

Yes, I have been following your travails with the 260. :-)

Resp'y,
Bob S.

StarMetal
09-21-2005, 12:08 PM
I was just out again today with the 260 and the 6.5 Kurtz bullet. Initially the rifle had been sighted dead on at 100 yards for a jacketed load. Well I zeroed it for the 6.5 Kurtz now. The last time I was fireforming some 243 brass which have tighter necks then the lousy Remingtons. Today I shot those reloaded fireformed cases and the gun and bullet does a consistant 3/4 to 1 inch group now at 100 yds. That's plenty satisfying for me. Like I mentioned before the velocity was 2413 fps which is plenty enough and more for deer. We'll see if I can harvest a deer with that load this season.

Joe

swheeler
09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Joe you lost 1 fps of velocity in 1 day! A year from now you will only be shooting 2049 fps! he-he

StarMetal
09-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Dang keyboard, costing me a velocity loss. :-?
Joe