PDA

View Full Version : The big 80

GOPHER SLAYER
10-03-2014, 05:05 PM
It's official, as of yesterday I am an octogenarian. Of all the great advice I was given over the years the one I wish I had taken more seriously was the admonition, don't outlive your money. My wife and I went to the grocery store this morning and bought a few things which did not include any meat and the bill was $87. When I was a boy my parents would buy more and not spend $!0. We have been s-----. And they tell us there is 0 inflation.

s mac
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Congratulations on the milestone. Maybe you can make some meat with boolits.

jonp
10-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Congrats on the milestone. It's great you are still in good health and can go shopping with your wife.

Lee
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Not there yet. But...2 of the best bosses I ever had, asked me when I screwed up .... "Well...did you learn anything?"
That taught me more than I have ever learned since.
Congratulations, sir!

MrWolf
10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Aye, congratulations on reaching 80. Hope you have many more!

shooter93
10-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Just great!!!!.....keep going to at least 100 or longer if you're healthy......smiles. I remember when they changed my doctor to one who handles Geriatrics. They said....you are one now you know....lol...I am? I fully understand your shopping experience though. Groceries used to be a relatively small expense for us too. Pet foods and treats rivaled the food for the two of us. We thought we were pretty safe as far as out living our money but the hit we ....and millions of other older people......took in the stock market fiasco has ruled that out. We don't have time to gather enough savings to replace it and the interest lost at our age so retirement if pretty much a pipe dream for us now. So much for no inflation. Best of luck to you both and I hope you have many years to go.

shooterg
10-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Good on you. I hope to make it that long and see my grandson grow up to be a good man. Then I''ll move on to the Big Range with no regrets.
Today's prices you can't even afford the candles for your cake !!

MaryB
10-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Did my monthly grocery run today, I stock up on everything the beginning of the month when social security deposits. Subtracting a $16 pair of jeans I spent $184 today, just a year ago it would have cost me $100. Butter has doubled in price, bacon tripled, coke(my only vice besides shooting) up $3 from a year ago, hot dogs(pork, no poultry for me) double from a year ago...

Getting to where I may have to dump directv and watch online to save money, I could trim car insurance back to basin and save about $50 a month too... What is killing me is fighting with medical bills, I finally told everyone you are getting $5 or $10 a month and no more. Instead of pellets I am going to burn corn, twice the work and the exhaust is very corrosive but half the price this year.

buckwheatpaul
10-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Congrats on the big 80! The same people that told you there is zero inflation is the same people that told you: "If you like your doctor you will be able to keep him!" There are p#@ing on your foot and trying to convince you that it is raining!

Freightman
10-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Con graduations and in one piece that is an accomplishment, we shop for the month as the money only comes by the month, but there is a grocery outlet from a large wholesale grocery warehouse. The prices are 25/60% less than Wally world just have to pick carefully as most is on the verge of expiration.they run Milk on sometimes 5 gal. for a dollar. I am not to far behind you and hope to reach the 80 mark in good enough shape to enjoy it.

waksupi
10-04-2014, 10:41 AM
You must be doing something right! Happy birthday!

blackthorn
10-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Happy Birthday --- yesterday!!! Hope you and yours have many (healthy) more birthdays.