PDA

View Full Version : I think I blew it again......

Harry O
10-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Between 25 and 30 years ago, I bought a set of Lyman 310 dies for the 41 Long Colt that I found in the corner of an old gunshop. I did not have anything else in that caliber. I now have a half-dozen sets of dies, 8 or 9 moulds, and a bunch of guns in that caliber (I use it for my CAS handgun caliber). That original 310 ended up costing me a bunch of money.

Not having learned anything from that, I just bought a Lyman 299155 mould for the .32 Long Colt. Looks like miniature 386178. I do not have anything else in that caliber right now. I wonder how long that is going to last.

PS. Also picked up a Lyman 386177. Now I have two of them so I can cast with both, alternately.

runfiverun
10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
this is how it starts..

gwpercle
10-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Yeah, that's the way it goes. Get the mould for next to nothing, and it starts to talk to you...saying things like "don't just let me sit here" , "you got to use me " , " come on you know you need a gun to use me in"....DON"T LISTEN!!! Them next to nothing moulds are EVIL....
I know the song and dance that them moulds do, I listen to them too, we are so easy.
Gary

williamwaco
10-03-2014, 03:48 PM
This is a disease, but you have been at it long enough to know that.

Why on earth did you do that again?

Jupiter7
10-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Half my calibers started off before I owned said gun.

Hannibal
10-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Due to the current difficulties associated with obtaining reloading componants, I make sure I have an adequate supply of powder, primers, brass, moulds and sizing dies on hand before bringing any firearm home these days.

Piedmont
10-03-2014, 10:44 PM
When Harry O. wrote about converting two .38-40 Ubertis to .41 Colt I remember thinking "That makes no sense at all." Followed quickly by, "What a cool guy!" Just keep writing about your experiences Harry.

nvbirdman
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Wish I had a .32 long colt sitting around, I'd overprice it and sell it to you.

Harry O
10-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Wish I had a .32 long colt sitting around, I'd overprice it and sell it to you.

I'd probably buy it. Actually, I have run across several early Marlins and a few cute miniature Colt DA revolvers in that caliber through the years. What stopped me was not having a mould. The ones for the .32LC are much more rare than the guns are. I have also run across a few boxes of brass in the past that I passed up, not having a mould. Now all I have to do is wait until the rest of the stuff comes to me. In the mean time, I have been thinking up ways to manufacture brass from the .32 S&W Longs I have laying around. I think I will be able to do it fairly cheaply, at least until I find some of the real stuff.

Mk42gunner
10-04-2014, 11:18 AM
There is a guy that has a .32 Marlin in wire brushed relic state that has been at the last few local gun shows; unfortunately he has it priced more like a good shooter.

Meanwhile I play around with my #2 Remington Rolling Block and heeled boolits.

The 299155 is the mold for the internally lubed .32 Long Colt, isn't it?

Robert

Harry O
10-04-2014, 02:46 PM
The 299155 is the mold for the internally lubed .32 Long Colt, isn't it?

Robert

Yes. It is a hollow-base 80gr bullet made to be seated entirely inside the case.

leeggen
10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
That is why it is called an ADDICTION! I just wanted the mold for MY 40 S&W--- now 8 different molds are on the shelf for 5 different guns. Wow I need 3 more guns-- gotta stay even don't we?
CD

Hannibal
10-04-2014, 09:05 PM
My wife says if you split my head open, all that would pour out would be boolits, ammo, guns and beer.
But for some reason, she says it like there's something wrong with that. :veryconfu

Don Fischer
10-04-2014, 09:23 PM
So, is the 32 long Colt and the 32 S&W long the same cartridge? I have A S&W 32 long, mod 16 if I remember right, love the thing. I looked in a few manuals and didn't find the 32 long Colt. Maybe I need to look in an older manual. OK, just looked in to two old Lyman cast manuals and find the 32 long Colt but not the 32 S&W long?

Rooster
10-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

**oneshot**
10-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I bought a die set for a 30-30 since I knew I would own one soon. I bought the rifle 20yrs later and couldn't find the dies(moved a few times) Bought new dies for it, found the old ones and the mold I didn't remember buying for it also while trying to find the extra seating stem I remembered having for a 308. I had already ordered a mold for the rifle and the old mold nose was too fat for the grooves anyway.

I have since learned to always buy the firearm before the "etc" that goes with it, it just seems to work out better and cheaper that way.

Harry O
10-04-2014, 11:00 PM
So, is the 32 long Colt and the 32 S&W long the same cartridge?

Nope, they are not the same. You will need to find some really old books to find the Long Colt, however, I should be able to use .32 S&W Long starting loads for the Long Colt.

1) The .32 S&W Long and the .32 Colt New Police are interchangeable. The .32 Long Colt is different and will not interchange with either of them.
2) The .32 Long Colt uses a 0.315" to 0.318" diameter case (depending on the book source). The .32 S&W Long uses a 0.335" diameter case. Approx 0.020" difference. Trying to push a 0.020" larger case (the S&W Long) into a 0.020" smaller hole (the Long Colt) is kind of difficult -- especially when both are made from metal. The rim diameter is the same for both cases, though.
3) I have formed enough different cases from other cases that I have the basics down and the tools in place. The very first one I did was fire-forming .38 Special cases into .41 Long Colt cases (that was long before Starline started making them). I think I can figure out how to do it this time, too.

Green Frog
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
You could look for a Ballard 32 with reversible firing pin. It takes a 32 Colt quite nicely. :) Also, I have taken a Winchester low wall in 32 RF and converted it to 32 Colt by changing the block (bush to CF or replace altogether) but at the time I couldn't find the mould you already have. :???: It probably would be cheaper to load and shoot this caliber than to buy 22 RF. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Harry O
10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
I made up a tool for sizing a .32 Long Colt case from a .32 S&W Long case. The tool has a series of holes in a block of steel. It is sized down one hole at a time and then the ridge that forms near the rim is filed off in a lathe. I sectioned one case to make sure that the case was not too thin where it was filed. It wasn't. I formed a few of them and then happened to have a .32 H&R Mag. case laying around and formed one from it, too. It is starting to come together.