PDA

View Full Version : Cover those flourescent bulbs!

Patrick L
02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Man I did a lulu today. I was a little hasty grabbing my range bag off of the top shelf in my gun room, and I bumped the flourescent shop light right over my head. The blub dislodged, and I fumbled to try to catch it with all my usual grace, charm, and cat-like reflexes. OK, more like a confused, near-sighted rhino.

Anyhow, when the bulb hit the floor it was like a gunshot. Fortunately I had invested the extra 99 cents or whatever it cost for those clear covers for all my flourescents. It really saved the day. There was an 8 inch piece of the bulb left (it was a four footer) and the rest was powder and glass shards. A miniscule amount of garbage escaped the tube and neede to be swept up.

I 'm still dumbstruck over the force of that break. I can't encourage all of you enough to get covers for your bulbs if you use that kind of lighting in the shop, loading room, etc.

Ricochet
02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't know the covers you're talking about. Clear tubes that slide over the fluorescent tubes?

floodgate
02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Yep, I had them over the 8-foot tubes in my previous shop, and they saved the day for me once, too. Oughta get some for my present one. Most larger hardware emporia have them, or can order them for you.

Fg

Typecaster
02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
I'll agree with floodgate...kindalike a condom for fluorescents...

They can either be clear, or act as a filter (I used to use both yellow and red versions in various parts of the studio, depending on what material I was working with).

Patrick L
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, its just a clear plastic tube encases the bulb. You buy them the same lengths as you buy bulbs. Or, I'm sure they cut easy, so an 8 footer could yield two 4 footers, etc.

You know, I just went downstairs again and looked. While I have sheathed the 3 bulbs in my loading room, the other 8 in the general workshop area are naked glass. Not smart considering the table saw, miter saw, etc.

Guess who's going to take a little trip to the hardware store tomorrow?

454PB
02-03-2008, 11:49 PM
If you work under OSHA regulations, all light fixtures within reach MUST be covered.

Reloader06
02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Didn't know they existed.

Matt

crazy mark
02-04-2008, 12:31 AM
GE makes tubes/bulbs with a plastic coating just for these type of incidents.
About 6 years ago when I was at their lighting institute at Nela Park, Ohio the instructor hit the chair in front of me with one. I jumped back and he was laughing. Nothing escaped the coating even though the insides was toast. They cost a little more but are worth it. Mark

1Shirt
02-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Patrick L, Think I can top your story of a little haste and bulbs. About 40 years ago in Topeka Ka, I was in a Sears store looking at shotguns. (Yep, they used to sell them!) Anyway, I was looking at a 26"bbl side by side, and the salesman said, "Go ahead and throw it up and swing it!" I did just that, and wiped out one of those four bulb flourscent lights rapidly. Lot of noise, I was covered with glass, people were ducking and covering, somebody called the cops, a real cluster. The ceiling was only about 7 -7 1/2 feet, and I am well over six feet. I wasn't cut or hurt, and neither was the salesman, but both of us were a bit embarassed, and there was quite a mess. I don't recall any protective coverings over bulbs back then, just the exposed bulbs. Maybe I am part of the reason they have created sheaths. Had almost forgotten that episode until I read your thread. I have "naked" bulbs in my reloading room. Think I will do something about that.
Good thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ricochet
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Somebody over on milsurpshooter.net or gunboards.com (I forget which) told of firing a Mosin M44 on an indoor range and shattering the fluorescent tubes overhead with the muzzle blast!

Patrick L
02-04-2008, 02:23 PM
1Shirt,

My local Sears also sold guns, up till at least the mid 80s or so. I only wish I knew then what I know now. Good stuff too, Remingtons, Winchesters, Brownings, etc. Plus a whole line of Winchesters marked "Ted Williams" made for Sears by Big Red.

Actually, my son is a big time Red Sox fan, and I think Ted Williams is one of his all time favorite players. I may have to look around some gun shows for a "Ted Williams" Sear/chester for him.

Days gone by, unfortunately.

Cherokee
02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
All my light fixtures have clear covers over them, so why would I need to cover the bulbs to ?

Freightman
02-05-2008, 11:29 AM
The covers serve two purposes the one stated and is also an aid in warming up the bulb in cold weather so it will function right. We had them on the dock I worked on and a briliant treminal manager took them off and threw them away, come winter no light on most of the dock, he had to have a company come out and replace all of them to get any light. Management are our leaders!!!!

TAWILDCATT
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
They had them in the 1980s as I worked in tonic bottling plant .imagin if one broke there.we had them in gun club in Mass but no one kept up especialy when they were hit with 38/45.I did the elec work there for pro bono.but some one got the bright idea to show me up and hired outside,never bothered again just shot and paid my dues[smilie=1:-----:coffee:---:Fire:.