PDA

View Full Version : what is the minimum over all length you would still consider safe.

nagantguy
10-02-2014, 05:12 PM
A while back I ran some posts about having trouble with that old 30-30 94 me and my daughter have been working on. The ranchdog 165 gr wide flat point will not feed if I'm at minimum o.a.l. the ovive is just to large. Anyhow not one to give up when U.S.D. are invested already I've been quite happily shooting some unique mouse farters in the old girl. Getting good close range accuracy, out to about 55 yards or so. Anyhow is there anyway I'd be safe loading a little stronger load with this boolit seated a little deeper than recommend? I'd never dream of this with jwords I've read others doing this with cast. And no I didn't say C.O.L. not yet just wanna pick some brains here that are smarter than mine. Also my daughter shoots those above mentioned unique loads real well so I'm thinking of having her use that load for deer this year. Inside 100 yards I see no reason why 170 or so as cast 30 cal boolit over some unique would not be fatal to whitetails.

zuke
10-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Like I try to tell guy's that hotrod the 45-70. That cartridge loaded with black powder pushing a 500 grain lead boolit wrapped in what passed for paper almost wiped out the buffalo.
As long as it get's to at least black powder velocity's, I see no problem with it.

runfiverun
10-02-2014, 06:32 PM
loading them deep only poses the problem of them staying in place.
you just adjust the load for pressure purposes so even with jacketed you just drop the powder amount to commensurate with the smaller case size.

I wouldn't sweat anything but the boolit moving in the case with your load.

nagantguy
10-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks gents. I felt as much but am wise enough to know I don't know jack, so I defer to those whit superior knowledge.

mdi
10-02-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm sure Ranch Dog would help you with reloading data. Start with his website...

fredj338
10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Rifle loading isn't like pistol loading. Generally, loading shorter in a rifle is a non pressure issue. Then again, you are usually using rifle powders. Still, case volume in a 30-30 is huge compared to most handgun rounds. I would worry more about good neck tension than OAL.

nagantguy
10-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I'm sure Ranch Dog would help you with reloading data. Start with his website...
Would you be ki.d enough to provide a link?? Thank you MDI!

dtknowles
10-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Theory. I have asked but not seen the answer and don't have the equipment to test, At what point does decreasing the overall length start increasing pressure instead of decreasing it.

Reality. It depends on much. My thoughts.

Magnum rifle cartridge, how much freebore do you have to start with? How much airspace in the case? Not compressed and lots of freebore probably makes little difference either way.

Standard rifle cartridge, as long as you are well off the lands probably does not matter much.

Rifle cartridge with pistol powder and cast bullet. Does not matter.

Small capacity Pistol cartridge, very important. No freebore, short lead, case full of powder, small difference in COL, OAL, COAL, can be a big difference in pressure.

Revolvers. Whatever does not hang up the action is OK.

Everything assumes you start with the starting load and work up in the normal manner.

Tim

runfiverun
10-03-2014, 12:00 AM
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/
this is where you find Michael now day's.

mdi
10-03-2014, 11:46 AM
http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php Ranch Dog can be found here too...