PDA

View Full Version : Whoopee! I went and did it!

mugsie
02-03-2008, 05:26 PM
This morning I went outside and loaded up a small pot with about 30 or so pounds of wheel weights. Placed it on the ol' Coleman camp stove which has to be over 30 years old and still had the kerosene in it! I had to buy a new pump valve at Walmart for $8 cause the old one virtually desintigrated in place, put the new valve in, pumped up the sucker, touched the burned with a match and Whoosh - fire! Kero or whatever they use for Coleman fuel still worked.

I placed the pot on top, turned up the heat and about 30 minutes later had a melt going. I skimmed off all the clips and a couple of zinc weights and had a nice shiny surface. It kept skimming over however so I kept adding wax as a flux.

I dipped a laddle in it and started pouring my first ingots as well as some cupcake disks. I had to continually flux - it this normal? Also, some of the ingots had a little discoloration on them (which I think are some dross or other impurities) - is this normal? I guess I'll need to flux this out when they're in my pot yes?

I now have 25+ pounds of ingot / cupcakes! Next step is to remelt and pour my first boolets.

I couldn't help thinking while I was watching the lead melt, that man has done this in one form or another for thousands of years. I just added my presence into the line. It's a great feeling.

I also want to thank everyone here for their patience and help in getting me this far along. Thank you. :drinks:

clintsfolly
02-03-2008, 05:31 PM
now repeat till done have fun clint

mtgrs737
02-03-2008, 05:43 PM
It's fun converting something form an un-useable form to a useable form and thus adding value.

weakhand luke
02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
When it's time to refuel that old Coleman, be sure of the fuel type!

snuffy
02-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Coleman fuel is simply white gas. There was a time when white gas was available at service stations. Some 2 cycle engines would only run on it, leaded fuel would mess them up.

Ohio Rusty
02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
You'll have to stir and skim several times. Lead is so heavy, it literally pins the dirt to the bottom of the pot like Hulk Hogan on a pencil-neck wrestler. Lead is also viscous (thick) so dirt doesn't readily just float to the top. you have to coax it to move thru and up out of the lead. I'm always surprised after I stir, and stir, and stir and flux, more dirt shows up from somewhere hiding in the pot. Skim and stir and it will clean up.
Ohio Rusty ><>

jcwit
02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Coleman Fuel, White Gas, Naptha all the same. Here where I live it's still available from the pump (Amish Country).

leftiye
02-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Stir with a stick!

calsite
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Did you have a thermometer in your smelt? I was curious how hot a Coleman stove would get a pot of lead. Apparently hot enough but not hot enough to melt Zinc. Good Luck and thanks for that info on replacing your stove valve, I think mines out two.

Wayne Smith
02-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Did you have a thermometer in your smelt? I was curious how hot a Coleman stove would get a pot of lead. Apparently hot enough but not hot enough to melt Zinc. Good Luck and thanks for that info on replacing your stove valve, I think mines out two.

I use a two burner Coleman propane stove and have had my Lyman 20lb pot, full, up over 900 degrees. Not purposely, but it did it and the thermometer was still going up when I turned the flame down. No worries about not enough energy here!

Pepe Ray
02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Calsite;
See what Wayne S said ? Let me underscore that. "There ain't no flies on the old Coleman Camp stoves. I got mine with S&H Green stamps while travelling in California in 1959. Back home in Maine, 1962 I baptised it with a lead pot in my kitchen. I used it for both camping and casting till 1993 or 4 when I built my "boolet barn" and switched to a full sized kitchen range. The old Coleman went thru several cleanings and generator replacements. I think I've still got a spare squirreled away somewhere.
They are a serious heat source. Pepe Ray

kidmma
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I got broke in on an Coleman stove. I was making some .38 bullets for my Ruger Blackhawk. Unfortunately I tried using (not knowing) an old aluminum sauce pan that was lying around. That didn't last long. I had lead all over the stove. Some of it's still there. Still using the stove for the camp though! I think the gas one puts out a little more heat than the propane model too.

I'm gearing up to run some 45/70s later on. Made some ingots out of stuff I've had lying around for years(decades?). The weather has to be better... the garage is hooked to the house and I couldn't get the smell out for some time after smelting even with all the doors open. :(

Have fun experimenting.

Found you over here Pepe!

scott