PDA

View Full Version : Elk ridge knifes

Bullshop Junior
10-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? Ive been eye balling one to replace my old Remington pocket knife that is getting pretty worn out.

montana_charlie
10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
to replace my old Remington pocket knife
Which pattern in your Remington?
Do you plan to stick with the same design?
For a mid-priced pocket knife that's very well built, I like Moore Maker Knives at www (dot) mooremaker (dot) com.

I have seen Elk Ridge knives offered on the Cutlery Corner broadcasts, but it is their fixed blade patterns that interest me.

CM

Bullshop Junior
10-02-2014, 12:42 PM
I was gonna just get a single blade folder. The Remington I have, I have had for a good while now. Its just a standard classic style three blade pocket knife. A coworker asked the borrow it the other day, and decided to try jumping a starter on a 24 volt CAT with the blade edge since he had seen me my jump starters that way before. I only do 12 volt and always use the back of the knife. Anyway. He melted a good part of the main blade. I was able to file it down some but it still has a couple pretty good gouges in it.

Beerd
10-02-2014, 02:47 PM
could be a subject for another thread: "Don't never loan yer knife to nobody"

montana_charlie
10-02-2014, 03:03 PM
I take back my suggestion.
Anybody who would use his knife for that kind of 'activity' is better off with a cheap imitation of a pocketknife.

Multigunner
10-02-2014, 03:09 PM
I have a pretty good collection of pocket knives I've found at a busy intersection.Guys in a hurry to get to work on a cold day and the car won't start will scrape the battery posts and cable ends then forget and leave their pocket knife under the hood. Another was people opening oil cans. Other problems as well I expect but thats the main one that comes to mind.At this intersection most of the local work force turns onto the main road leading to the industrial park. The pocket knives then fall out on the road.I've found some nice ones, some still in good shape while others ended up with broken or lost scales or the tip of the blade broken or bent from opening oil cans. I keep most of the best and given others away.The development of plastic oil bottles seems to have put a dent in my collecting.The most recent find was a Shrade Walden Bear Paw still in its belt pouch. The pouch is pretty beat up but the knife is almost like new.

troyboy
10-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I have a few and they are well made. I would buy them again.

bdicki
10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I was gonna just get a single blade folder. The Remington I have, I have had for a good while now. Its just a standard classic style three blade pocket knife. A coworker asked the borrow it the other day, and decided to try jumping a starter on a 24 volt CAT with the blade edge since he had seen me my jump starters that way before. I only do 12 volt and always use the back of the knife. Anyway. He melted a good part of the main blade. I was able to file it down some but it still has a couple pretty good gouges in it.

That's what screwdrivers are for.

Geppetto
10-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah if your going to jump starters with it, might as well go to the local sportshop and buy about three $15.00 knives so you can beat the hell out of them and not worry about it.

Personally, I use a leatherman skeletool as my everyday pocket knife, and have recommended it to numerous co-workers and friends, and now I have numerous friends and co-workers that also carry skeletools happily. Its a well thought out product. You can use the knife without opening up the whole unit, which has always been my peeve about multi-tools (because 90% of the time, you just want to use the knife anyway)

Bullshop Junior
10-03-2014, 03:06 PM
The single blade elk ridge knife I was looking at is only about $15. I usually use a wrench of something to ark starters, but one is not always handy.

Multigunner
10-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Once saw a guy using the jaws of channel pliers to scrape a battery post and managed to touch the gold plated band of his very expensive wrist watch to the other post just as the non insulated grip of the pliers also touched the watch. Burnt a good sized hole in his wrist and pretty much slagged that watch.

I've made a few fixed blade knives and done repairs on folders and switchblades, I'm considering trying my hand at making a large lock blade folder.
I'll try for a gravity opening type, no switchblades for me.

I've got a part of a chainsaw bar I've made one blade from already, a nice double edged dagger with stacked leather grip.
Its a good sized bar, with enough steel left for one large knife blade and a medium sized sword blade. Great steel.

fouronesix
10-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Most of the Elk Ridge knives I see advertised are about 3 for $15-$20. No worries. Ruin it or lose it, you'd have 2 back-ups.