PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the US Postal service??

GoodOlBoy
10-02-2014, 12:40 AM
So I have been chomping at the bit expecting a package, and some mail lately and for four week days we got NOTHING in the mail. Then yesterday BOOM our mailbox was so overstuffed that we almost couldnt get everything out of it. I called my local post office and they assured me that everything was running as normal, and that I had just suddenly received that much mail..... I call horse pucky!

Anybody else having these issues?

GoodOlBoy

Alvarez Kelly
10-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Nope. Business as usual here.

You might want to ask your neighbors if that happened to them also.

snowwolfe
10-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Sounds like a local issue. For whatever reason the person delivering your mail doesn't want to so they stock pile it until they have to. Visit the post master and lodge a complaint.

DeputyDog25
10-02-2014, 02:01 AM
Everything running smooth as clockwork here as well, probably a local issue on your end.

runfiverun
10-02-2014, 02:02 AM
it took 4 day's for a package to get from Denver to salt lake, it had taken 4 day's for it to get from Detroit to Denver, it took 3 to get from Arkansas to Detroit.
from salt lake to my place was another 3.
14 day's total.

dragon813gt
10-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Your issue is w/ you local carrier. They have a 1-800 number for complaints. Call them now and log a formal one. It's the only way they will respond. I have to this everytime I order lead. It's the only way they will deliver it.

Hickory
10-02-2014, 06:20 AM
At my local post office the mail lady tells me that the USPS has shut down 30+ distribution hubs in large cities around the nation to save money.

KAF
10-02-2014, 08:28 AM
My local carrier does a fantastic job. He has the largest route running from the PO. Mail comes from Columbus, couple hrs away, sometime the truck from Columbus ( 130 miles 1 way) will drop off mail at the wrong town PO, Then they have to go get it or wait. When he is off for vacation or once a week when he HAS to be off due to his large route, (USPS rules), the sub has to deliver. She does not sort it all and is slow, and puts mail in the wrong home mail boxes, and then Ed has to make up by delivering it when he gets back after sorting it all.

You have a carrier that lets the job slide and somebody else has to catch it up or just let's it pile up before delivering. Feel lucky your mail is not going in the river or dumpster, like other areas.......

doc1876
10-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I live on the main street in a large town, and if I get mail 3x a week, I consider myself lucky.

seaboltm
10-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Notice you are in East Texas. I was told the sorting facilities, particularly the one in Houston, is undergoing major changes. I think this is happening around the country. Trying to get more efficient, save money.

mold maker
10-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Every time I get meds or a signature required package, I have to go to the next town to pick it up. Postman refuses to knock and wait for me to answer the door. Several packages were returned to sender without me ever getting notice.
The local PO only has mail boxes and a window for selling and sending. All mail sorting and delivery is now done from a bigger PO. They are slowly reverting to ancient practices as far as mail. I can't trust bill payments to be delivered in a timely manner, so electric banking get my nod. They exist only on junk mail.
Our city had a huge Mfg base that is now only a memory. Even the buildings are gone, leaving only landscape scars and loss of jobs.

beezapilot
10-02-2014, 10:13 AM
I recently bought a mould from a guy here on the forum. I never received notification of arrival in my PO Box, but the tracking number said it had been delivered. I went in and pitched a small fit at the counter and the PostMaster eventually went looking for it... he found THREE packages that I'd received no notification on!!! One had a postmark that was over a month old.

dragon813gt
10-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Almost forgot when Goodsteel had shipped back a rifle I had him work over for me. No knock, if they did it was faint and the wife never heard it. It was a sub that ran the route that day. She left the redeliver slip in the mailbox......w/ no info on it. No parcel number, no tracking number, literally nothing filled out on it. Needless to say that was an angry call to the 1-800 number. Received the rifle two days later when they were able to find out where it was. Never heard from the post office like I was supposed to. I did get a nice note from the normal carrier apologizing about what happened and how he was on vacation. I don't begrudge the carrier. It's the people in charge at my local PO that have me POed ;)

odfairfaxsub
10-02-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm beginning to hate hate hate usps. Two packages in a row I sent contents lost from their specially engineered USA made priority boxes.

DeanWinchester
10-02-2014, 11:17 AM
It's the post office. Any reasonable fella knows not to have any expectations above poor.

doc1876
10-02-2014, 11:53 AM
I have three postal centers in town, and if I want anything shipped correctly, there is only one I go to, and then only if one of two people are there. I had to ship a rifle to my son in Germany this summer, and I was sure it was going to be a Catastrophe, but those tow mad it happen smoothly.

troyboy
10-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Packages will get damaged so pack accordingly. The USPS does a great job and we are fortunate to have them. With the volume of daily mail it's a wonder more things dont go missing.

Echo
10-02-2014, 12:21 PM
At my local post office the mail lady tells me that the USPS has shut down 30+ distribution hubs in large cities around the nation to save money.

USPS is shutting down the distribution hub here in Tucson - now all sorting will be done in Phoenix. I suppose that if I were to send something to my next-door neighbor, it would go to Phoenix first.
Can't see how it will save much money - some folks are needed for a certain amount of sorting, the rest being handled by the bar code added to thee bottom of the envelope. I call BS...

Bad Water Bill
10-02-2014, 12:31 PM
No mail Fri,Sat,Mon,Tues just a smattering yesterday.

And I am only a couple miles out of Chiraq.

Sent a package to Fl WITH a tracking #.

According to to the # it is STILL sitting at a transfer station 10 days later.

leadman
10-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Sat. we had a sub and she only delivered the fliers to the whole street. I'm waiting on a package from Oregon, been almost 2 weeks and no idea where it is.

mold maker
10-02-2014, 01:02 PM
The USPO did a great job during the time they were handling the most mail. Since the beginning of the economic down turn, they have led the way to the bottom of the slippery slope. They complain of overload, and cut jobs to rectify the problem.
If it weren't for the Tuesday junk advertisements, there would be birds building nest in my box.
The new hand off from other shippers to USPS for final delivery plainly shows where the problem is. Packages get all the way across the country, some from overseas, faster than from the local PO to your door.

dragon813gt
10-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Don't even bring USPS final delivery. It adds a minimum two extra days for me to receive the package. And if course tracking stops when they make the handoff. It's taken two full business weeks extra to get from the PO to me. I don't live in a rural area. I live less than a mile from the post office itself. I gladly pay extra to have UPS deliver the entire way.

lead-1
10-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I have trouble sending things to the western side of Texas, it goes from Columbus, Ohio to Dallas over night but I swear they deliver the last 500 miles by foot. Our area lost a hub and at the same time we lost local overnight mail, it used to be you could mail a letter to someone in town and they would have it the next day. Now it travels two hundred mile round trip before they see it.

sleeper1428
10-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Same thing is happening in Southern Oregon. First class mail that, up until about 6 months ago, used to make it from here to Portland on the northern border of the state in less than two days now takes a minimum of three days and often four days to make the same trip. I've used Netflix for many years and it used to be that discs dropped in the mail on a Monday in Southern Oregon made it to the Netflix distribution center in Salem, Oregon, the following day and the next discs in your queue came in the mail on Wednesday. But in the last six months, discs dropped in the mail on Monday are generally arriving in Salem on Wednesday - but sometimes not until Thursday - and your next discs don't get back to Southern Oregon until Friday or Saturday. So much for 'First Class Mail Service'!!!! And yet the USPS is always trying to have postage rates increased, even in the light of such poor service. Sorry, guys, but I can't support that sort of service and mismanagement.

sleeper1428

GoodOlBoy
10-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Heck my local USPS office will not even DELIVER a package that weighs more than about 5lbs. I just get a freakin note in the mailbox telling me to come get it if I want it. Last time I ordered lead not only did I have to go get the box (35lbs earlier this year) BUT they wouldn't hand it over until I spoke with the management! They demanded to know what was in the box! I told them "First of all it's none of your business, and second of all it's future fishing weights. Now give me my mail before I call the Post Master!"

I spoke with others on my route (we live pretty far out in the country) and it is happening to alot of folks around here.

GoodOlBoy

Bad Water Bill
10-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Heck my local USPS office will not even DELIVER a package that weighs more than about 5lbs. I just get a freakin note in the mailbox telling me to come get it if I want it. Last time I ordered lead not only did I have to go get the box (35lbs earlier this year) BUT they wouldn't hand it over until I spoke with the management! They demanded to know what was in the box! I told them "First of all it's none of your business, and second of all it's future fishing weights. Now give me my mail before I call the Post Master!"

I spoke with others on my route (we live pretty far out in the country) and it is happening to alot of folks around here.

GoodOlBoy

Time to use that 800 # for sure then your politicians.

blademasterii
10-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Also time to order a weekly shipment of 70lbs of lead. :D Or for that matter just start mailing yourself concrete. :D Cost you a few dollars but well worth the effort.

Harter66
10-03-2014, 09:55 AM
I sent 3 SMFRBs on Monday and all 3 were in hand ,2 to Texas 1 to Iowa , by Thursday night. In fact I think they were there Wednesday night. On the other hand I sent a check to a guy in Texas and "Rich I got it today but it looks to ha hit every whistle stop along the way". It had taken 16 days.
It seems to me the mail always flows.....sometimes it's vertical drop mercury and others it's more like January table top molasses, fortunately most of the time it's more like curb and gutter than syrup.

I have a friend that had a notice in his mail box stating his mail was not deliverable to his box ........ turns out it was a new that was measuring every box and his was 2" over the excepted standard because of the reaver and new curbs. As I understood, the region Postmaster delivered the apologies a day the askii chewing in person.

Bad Water Bill
10-03-2014, 10:09 AM
A person that has so little to do that they can take time to measure distances needs a different job possibly cleaning 300 toilets A DAY at the county lockup.

merlin101
10-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I live on a dead end street along with 13 other families and no one here gets any mail on Tuesday or Thursday. We do get mail on Mon.Wed. and Friday and sometimes Sat. I really wouldn't care much about except for the fact someone's getting for NOT delivering!

Harter66
10-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't know the whole story there was something about several boxes that actually were to high low or far back for the truck portion of the route.

TreeKiller
10-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Had a friend that lived on a HCR (highway contract route). Lowest bid gets the route even if you starve. the person had the route for over 10 years. Every time he got a differant car he wanted the mail box the height if the window. When my friend changed it for the 3rd time he made a slider pipe with a set screw hung a crescent wrench in it and told the carrier he could adjust it himself. 6 cars later it had never was adjusted.

Sounds like most of the people living in the country dealing with HCR routes They used to be called Star routes. You might want to look at what the contract they have with the PO says about package delivery.

Boerrancher
10-04-2014, 11:25 AM
I sent a package last month on the 18th. It was suppose to be delivered on the 22nd. Until yesterday it was still sitting at the sorting facility. I complained and now the tracker has moved it out of the sorting facility but it still says it is to be delivered on Sept 22. I wonder if they mean sept 22 of next year.

Best wishes

Joe

MaryB
10-04-2014, 09:25 PM
I get great service from the rural mail carrier(contract). Heavy packages no problem, he knows if the door is locked to put them in the garage which is never locked. Had one heavy package i shipped take 2 weeks to reach CA but I packaged it to survive the postal monkeys

jcwit
10-05-2014, 12:17 AM
I have great service with the USPS. Usually get any package within 3 days from anywhere in the U.S., seldom takes 4 days. Overseas deliveries usually 2 to 3 weeks, can anyone say "customs?".