PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder how much lead fits in a 20mm Ammo Can?

dmftoy1
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I found that my 4.2lb ww ingots fit perfectly in the bottom of a 20mm Ammo can so, given that my milk crates were starting to crack I decided to load one up. I got 2/3-3/4 full and stopped at 504lbs. I think I could easily get 700lbs in one of these things but there's no way I could move it. I'm going to build up a little cart with some old heavy duty caster's I've got laying around and then finish loading it up. I figure it'd be pretty cool to be able to wheel around 2 of these cans on a little cart with 1400+lbs of ingots. :)

JeffinNZ
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Just remember the bigger the box the harder to move.

I moved house at the weekend and I can tell a mortar round 'can' full of ingots is most inconvenient to get onto a truck.::( Seemed like a really good idea when I was filling it.

dmftoy1
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
LOL - Yup, believe me that idea has already occurred to me!! :) I figure with six inch casters I can roll it up a ramp . . maybe I'll build lifting hooks into the little cart I build up so that I can use the tractor's front-end loader to pick it up . . .of course I think 1400lbs is probably more than my FEL is rated for. :)

mooman76
02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I know that the5.56 or 50cal cans are plenty heavey when full and I almost can't move them but I manage.

hammerhead357
02-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't know how much it weighed but one time I had filled a 120 lb grease drum full of small foundry type and but it on my dolly that is rated for 600 lbs and the wheels on the dolly were tilted in at the top and out at the bottom. I have one of the grease drums full of WW now and would hate to have to move that puppy....Wes