PDA

View Full Version : Using Two Molds...

BCB
10-01-2014, 09:52 AM
I had read on this site about casting using 2 molds at the same time—I had never done that before…

So, this morning I thought I might give it a try as I needed some 30 caliber boolits. I was using the Lee C309-150-F and the 311041…

Since the Lee is a one-holer, I started using it first and cast about 50 with it. Then I started to bring the 311041 up to temperature…

Filling one mold and setting it down and them filling the other mold and setting it down. Back to the first filled mold and removed the boolit and filled it again—set it down and then back to the original second mold filled and did the same…

It seemed that allowing the mold to cool a bit longer facilitated the boolits dropping from the mold…

Once I got the rhythm down, it was amazing how quickly I used up about 10 pounds of WW’s…

The tapping of the wooden dowel to cut the sprue was very in time. Bonham of Led Zeppelin would have been proud of me…

Maybe do a couple of 45 caliber molds tomorrow…

I was a BLUR in the corner of my garage…

BCB

country gent
10-01-2014, 10:04 AM
If you use the cabin tree locking mould holders the 2 mould runs work even better as the mold is locked closed and you dont even have to wait for lead sprue to set up. Fill set down and go to second mould. I castoccasionaly using 2 moulds (big rifle bullets) And find the moulds seem to stay at a more consistant temp. Not the occassional over heating. It works and allows for a faster pace with out over heating the mould. If you dont have 2 fairly disimilar bullets as to caliber and shape sorting can be a pain though.

TomAM
10-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I always use 2 at a time, although I stick with one for about ten throws, then switch to the other. Aluminum is great for that, heating and cooling quickly, and light weight.

btroj
10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
I tried 2 at a time and didn't like it. I find it easier to use a single mould and focus on making it work best as I can.
I suppose it comes down to finding a method that works and maximizing the benefits.

BruceB
10-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Using more than one mould slows me down, which I proved to my satisfaction in carefully-timed runs using both one mould and two moulds.

I once cast 159 GOOD .30-caliber bullets from a single-cavity Lee mould in thirty minutes.

Normal output with ONE two-cavity mould is in the area of 400 to 500 per hour, without any particular haste (and the bullets are very nice).

There are quite a few witnesses to support these figures.

Bullwolf
10-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I would say it depends on the size, volume, and number of cavities of the mould for me anyways. The larger ones are heavier and fatigue me sooner, I find the 6 cavities more fussy as well.

I can cast with 2 moulds at once when using a pair of single, or dual cavity moulds, but I couldn't imagine keeping it up for long using a pair of 6 cavity moulds.

Have a picture or two of me doing just that someplace on the computer.

Cast 100 or so wad cutters one cool evening using the hand held Palmer hot pot.
Alternating between a TL-358-148-WC mould, and a button nose 148 WC mould.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114930&d=1409365478

I was alternating between a Lyman 2-Cavity 358311 mould, and a Lee 6-Cavity TL356-124-2R here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52448&d=1308462430

I doubt I was filling all 6 cavities of the TL356-124-2R mould at the time. I probably was only filling 2 cavities looking at my smaller pile of 9mm boolits, and my sprue pile.

Doubt that I could cast with 2 moulds at the same time, if one was a hollow point mould with removable pins either.

When it's warmer out, I don't mind the 2 mould action, as it gives me a chance to let one sprue cool, while pouring into the other mould rather than waiting, using a fan, wet sponge or rag, or anything else along those lines to artificially speed up the sprue cooling time. Typically though, it's pretty rare that I will use two moulds at the same time, even when I want 2 different types of boolits.

When it's cold or windy out, I think the hotplate really helps out by keeping the boolit moulds ready right at the proper casting temp.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=114714&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1409027142

Generally I don't rush myself when I cast, nor do I cast a large marathon quantity of boolits all at once. It's rarely a race for me.

- Bullwolf

cstrickland
10-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Using more than one mould slows me down, which I proved to my satisfaction in carefully-timed runs using both one mould and two moulds.

I once cast 159 GOOD .30-caliber bullets from a single-cavity Lee mould in thirty minutes.

Normal output with ONE two-cavity mould is in the area of 400 to 500 per hour, without any particular haste (and the bullets are very nice).

There are quite a few witnesses to support these figures.

that definitely seems doable. at 400 per hour on a double cavity that is about one throw of the mold every 18 seconds so say about 6-8 bullets per minute. going at a nice steady pace I can do 3 throws on a two cavity in one minute using my ladle, and I have not been casting but a short time.

I have casted with two molds. One lee 311-155 2 cavity, and a NOE 70 gr .225 4 cavity . I cast the 30 cal for say 20 - 30 throws, and then switch to the 4 cavity 22 cal NOE and do 10 - 15 throws. The other mold is on a hot plate staying at temp while I use the other.