PDA

View Full Version : Nearing my goal......perfect boolits

oneMOA
09-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Well, A report is due on my casting learing curve. Got my PID working and I can't imagine casting without one. Temps within two deg. need I say more? I'm pouring a single cavity 535 gr Postell boolit and many would say.......can't be done with a bottom pour pot. I'm here to say, yes it can. Mold temp must be in the range of 500 deg using a hot plate. Maybe hotter since I don't have a way to measure mold temp. I have played with alloy temp from 715 to 790 deg using about a 40-1 alloy. The one thing and most important is the alloy temp must be constant and the mold temp constant to cast boolits with the least amount of variance when weighing the finished product.

I am striving for a precision boolit within + or - .2 in weight for BPCR Silhouette matches and those that don't measure up go in the reject pan for remelting. Boolits that make the grade are pan lubed using SPG. I am only casting for the 45/70 and don't expect to go beyond that caliber. Again volume is not my goal in boolit casting.....quality not quantity is the rule.

Again constant alloy temp and mold temp narrow the variance of the cast boolits weights. Constants are what is important to reduce the number of rejects. A new Sage mold is arriving tomorrow via USPS for more testing. Hope it works better than the BACO I'm currently using.

The opinions expressed above are my own and based on my limited experienced in boolit casting. Take it for what it's worth.

gray wolf
09-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Relax and just let it happen.

cbrick
09-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Again constant alloy temp and mold temp narrow the variance of the cast boolits weights.

That's correct, took me more than a couple of years way back when to figure that out. :mrgreen: Good luck on the steel critters.

Rick