PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing help needed

gsdelong
09-30-2014, 03:30 PM
I have a delta monitor faucet in my tub. The problem is I need to fix the seals and the outer brass ring can not be remove do time lime etc. I have been soaking it with kroil for several hours and no change. Any other ideas?

R.Ph. 380
09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
I have a delta monitor faucet in my tub. The problem is I need to fix the seals and the outer brass ring can not be remove do time lime etc. I have been soaking it with kroil for several hours and no change. Any other ideas?

Yeah, don't use Kroil, use either Lime-Away or CLR. Proper tool for the problem.

gwpercle
09-30-2014, 04:16 PM
This is when I call the plumber. " a man has got to know his limitations " And when it comes to plumbing I know if I don't, we will have the whole house flooded , no water and no bathroom for at least three days and a huge plumbing bill. Last time the guy looked at me and said " you should have called me first ".

tcbnick
09-30-2014, 04:25 PM
vinegar works to, but sometimes it's cheaper and easier in the long run just to buy a new faucet. This is from MY experience.

chambers
09-30-2014, 06:11 PM
I know the Delta Monitor shower/tube faucet quite well. After removing the trim kit you will see the bonnet nut, this is hand threaded on. This can be removed with a large channel lock pliers about 2.5". Do no put too much pressure on the nut or it will become oval. If it is oval measure with a micrometer and find where it is larger and mark with a marker, this is where you need to apply the jaws of the channel locks. After nut is removed the insides are suppose to just come right out in the idea world. You will find calcium/rust has build up in this. I used the method of a good sharp wood chisel and knocked the plastic cartridges in pieces( do not hit the brass inside). Then clean up everything inside CLR and a scotch brite pad. There are two different cartridges one short and one long depending on your faucet model # and what year it was build ( found out the hard way as I had to run and get the correct one). Lube up so this does not happen again, I used white lithium grease inside brass and under bonnet nut. I have ordered extra bonnet nuts( # RP22734)

blackthorn
09-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I have NEVER been able to do ANY plumbing successfully without a BIG hassle!! I have learned (after many frustrations)---that when the problem involves plumbing---CALL THE GUY!!!!!

doc1876
09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
all Delta products are guaranteed for life. if you can get the thing off just return it to an authorized dealer

gsdelong
09-30-2014, 08:42 PM
I used the kroil after talking to friend with 30 plus years of experience in hotel maintenance. I like the idea if measuring to see if I squished it. Thanks to everybody for the advice.

gsdelong
09-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Anybody ever heard of a penetrating lime remover?

Hickory
09-30-2014, 08:50 PM
I have NEVER been able to do ANY plumbing successfully without a BIG hassle!! I have learned (after many frustrations)---that when the problem involves plumbing---CALL THE GUY!!!!!

I learned that and one other thing years ago, . . . plumbing is an invention of the devil, it's the only thing I know that will make a preacher cuss.

SeabeeMan
09-30-2014, 09:28 PM
I learned that and one other thing years ago, . . . plumbing is an invention of the devil, it's the only thing I know that will make a preacher cuss.

I must be running in the wrong circles because I rather enjoy plumbing...at least the clean side of things. CLR is amazing for lime, never thought of using Kroil.

Plate plinker
09-30-2014, 09:38 PM
:twisted:Press on worst that can happen is you buy a new shower assembly.

Springfield
09-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Just by a new one, it will be much easier and look WAY better. You wife will probably appreciate that, even if you don't.

KYCaster
09-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Yeah, don't use Kroil, use either Lime-Away or CLR. Proper tool for the problem.

You may have to remove the Kroil before the CLR will work.

all Delta products are guaranteed for life. if you can get the thing off just return it to an authorized dealer

Good luck finding an authorized dealer who will help you. Call Delta directly and they'll send you new parts.(you just can't take a shower for the two weeks you're waiting for the parts) Part is available at the local big box store. Order another from Delta so you'll have one the next time it leaks. (it will)

Don't buy Delta!

Jerry

Frank46
09-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Plumbing is indeed the invention of the devil. Imagine shutting off the water to the house just to change a rebuild kit in the delta faucet. Just about have shut off valves installed on each sink, shower or tub in the house right where they are needed most. Frank

bruce drake
09-30-2014, 11:13 PM
As people have said CLR. It will take that lime away in almost a heart beat. Great product. just store it properly as it had a myriad of other uses as well around the house.

clintsfolly
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
My wife would get the kids out of the house when I had to work on the plumbing. Did NOT want them to hear the plumbing word I would speak!!! It better now I just mutter then to my self:) Clint

doc1876
10-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Ritch_kildrow, you must be in the far left wing circle if you like plumbing.........:kidding:

There is an authorized Delta right here in town, and Lowes and HD are supposed to back them also.

Sig
10-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes & no depending on access. Sometimes you wind up having to re-tile a wall.

KYCaster
10-02-2014, 11:23 PM
There is an authorized Delta right here in town, and Lowes and HD are supposed to back them also.

There are FIVE authorized Delta dealers here........NONE of them will give you a part to replace a defective one. You have to deal directly with Delta to get parts replaced under warranty.............and...........

..........Delta will not send a replacement part to a professional plumber....only to a home owner. Install a Delta faucet and get a call from the home owner 5 years later bit**in' about the life time warranty and everybody's SOL.

Any way you cut it....the repair is gonna cost you, either money or time.

Good luck getting your faucet fixed.

Jerry

doc1876
10-03-2014, 04:36 PM
you are correct, Things have changed since I plumbed. You do have to deal with Delta directly.

jonp
10-03-2014, 05:38 PM

CLR works very well. Leave it to someone on this site to immediately go for the Kroil. My wife said to me the other day when I sprayed down the carbon on the grill with Ballistol "do you have to use that stuff for everything"?

slumlord44
10-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Funny I should see this. Buddy is having the same problem. Tried Kroll and a big channel lock pliers and it would not budge. Will have him try CRL. A large pipe wrench might work but you also may twist the whole copper pipe system off and create a real mess.