PDA

View Full Version : powder coating...

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-29-2014, 10:34 PM
A couple questions for the masters here:

1. after you powder coat, do you size the boolit? What technique?

2. do you then need to place a gas check on a GC mould?

3. do those of you who have been at this for awhile, do you seen boolit designs changing to better suit coating?

thanks,

Rich
PC newb

deadarrow
09-29-2014, 11:42 PM
I size after coating. The Boolits slip right through the sizer. Design doesn't matter. I had the lube grooves machined out of a Lee 9 mm 124g TC mold. It throws a nice smooth sided 132g boolit now. They fall right out of the mold. They drop at .359 now so I can use them for my 9mm and my .38.

bangerjim
09-29-2014, 11:57 PM
There are molds made for PC ( No Lube Groove). I have a couple. I do not see any advantage at all. I PC standard and microgroove designs with equal success. All shoot well as long as you follow the rules of barrel sizing.

Depending on the mold, I size after casting AND after PC to eliminate any out-layers and to guarantee the size I want for the barrels I have.

I have always used the very inexpensive Lee push-thru sizing dies with GREAT success!

You only need GC's if you are shooting sonic or faster to protect from gas cutting the back of the boolit. Rifles and mag loads normally. The mold must be cut for the GC "shank". I put my GC's on AFTER coating using the same sizing die (at the same time).

Have fun!

banger

harley45
09-30-2014, 11:14 AM
I have been sizing mine after powder coating, I also use the Lee push thru sizers with fantastic success. I also will take the bottle of Alox that lee send with the die and some long handled cotton swabs and rub the inside of the die before I start a sizing session. I will repeat the process every time I empty the container. I'm not worried about the PC coming off but it does make things go thru smoother and sure saves my arm.

mdi
09-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Whole bunch of info right here...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

flyingmonkey35
09-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Cast
Size
Powder coat
Size
Load
Shoot

RED333
09-30-2014, 02:16 PM
a couple questions for the masters here:

1. After you powder coat, do you size the boolit? What technique?
lee size die, after i pc.
2. Do you then need to place a gas check on a gc mould?
i do.
3. Do those of you who have been at this for awhile, do you seen boolit designs changing to better suit coating?
i do not have any, my molds all have lube groves, no worries.
thanks,
you are welcome

rich
pc newb

red333

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-03-2014, 02:10 AM
You guys are the best!!

thanks,

Rich

mdi
10-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Hummm, yes we are! :mrgreen:

trixter
10-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Hummm, yes we are! :mrgreen:

Yeah, what he said .:goodpost:

rockitrob
02-28-2015, 04:32 PM
New member but stealing your ideas for years. Really liked this idea so thought I would give a wing. Using the HB gun and made a jig with a cover to keep the PC off the jig. I hope my attachments look ok.

rockitrob
02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
The jig was a chunk of aluminum from HD and the cover sheet also aluminum. Two screws at one end hold it solid while another screw allows it to hinge. I drilled one hole at 9/32 for these 30 cal bullets and through the stack then put a bolt through it and did it again on the other end then drilled my holes though through the center ones. These were gas checked bullets so the gas check base fits perfect. doing some more nose down but no flash like everyone else was having problems with.

Doggonekid
03-03-2015, 01:10 AM
I size all my boolits after PC. I only use GC on magnum loads. Anything with a magnum after the caliber I would recommend a GC. (As far as hand guns go.) Anything that doesn't say magnum you don't need GC. I like flat nosed SWC because I PC them upside down. It keeps the flashing to a minimum. If you don't cover the boolits too thick. I load my cast boolits in my reloading trays and then put my painting plate over the top and then turn them upside down. Kind of like what you do with your primers. Then all of my boolits are in a perfect straight line and evenly spaced.