PDA

View Full Version : pillow stuffing & the Siamese Mauser

bhp9
02-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I did some testing with polyester pillow fiber in the 8x52 Siamese Mauser with cast lead loads. The results were quite surprising. Using pillow fiber polyester the velocity variations were a scant 5 fps as opposed to using none which resulted in velocity variations of as high as 90 fps. I grain of fiber was used in the loads.

Some good loads at 100 yards are:44 grains of 4895 with the Winchester 150 grain bullet that gave a 5 shot group of 5/8 of an inch and a 7 shot group of 1 1/8. 3 shot groups of ½ inch. No filler. Velocity 2,330 fps.

46 grains of 4895 with Sierra 200 grain Match king bullet. Velocity 2,450 fps. 1 inch 5 shot groups. No filler.Interesting to note the standard Winchester bullets out shot the Sierra Match king bullets but again this was probably due to the very stiff recoil of the heavier Sierra Match King bullets.

190 Grain Saeco cast lead bullet of pure linotype metal, 50/5o alox lube, gas check, sized to .325 with 1 grain of polyester fiber, 23 grains of 4198 powder. Range 100 yards. 5 shot groups of 5/8 of an inch. 3 shot groups into ½ inch. Velocity 1,700 fps. Outstanding performance fro a gun made in 1903.

Same load, no filler. Velocity variations as much as 90 fps. Accuracy was about 1 ½ inches with a 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

.160 grain Lyman Lovern lead bullet. 23 grains of 4198, rest of load same as above lead bullet Saeco load. 1 ½ groups at 100 yards. No filler. Velocity variations as much as 80 fps.

I think the test proves how important filler is in cast bullet loads and how the accuracy was improved with them. It also proves cast lead bullets take a back seat in accuracy to no jacketed bullets either, even if they are match grade

Buckshot
02-04-2008, 01:07 AM
.................bhp9, good report, thanks. The filler isn't magic so as to ALWAYS produce better accuracy. I've had it do the opposite. I've also had it really tighten up the stats but the accuracy was abysmal. I suppose that's what keeps all this so interesting.

...............Buckshot