PDA

View Full Version : What to do with small electric motors?

Isaac
09-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Hello Everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has ever constructed a useful reloading/workshop project using a motor salvaged from a kitchen mixer, blender, sewing machine motor, etc.

I keep a check at the local thrift stores for useful items that can be used in the reloading room or workshop. Occasionally I come across these used appliances, which are usually priced for just a few dollars.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Isaac

JSnover
09-28-2014, 07:05 PM
I've heard of people using electric razors as vibrators to settle their powder. Some of them mount the razor motor on the loading block and switch it on for a few seconds after the cases are charged.

bangerjim
09-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Leave them there! All you described are universal AD/DC brush-type motors and create sparks which you might NOT want around your powder. I keep them away from any volatile solvents or power.

And they are always generally high speed (5-12K RPM) low torque because they were made EXACTLY for the appliance they were used in.......and nothing more. And they are normally part of the cast housing with bearings and gearing as part of the appliance housing.....not easily removed in working status.

Even the Dreaded Dremel is a sparky.

If you want an excellent smaller size variable speed powerful motor, check out the DC ones thelittlemachineshop.com sells. I have 3 of them on smaller tools around the shops. 1/3-1/2 HP.

bangerjim

MaryB
09-29-2014, 02:54 AM
If you run across any that are permanent magnet they make neat small generator heads for bikes etc. Enough power to run a few lights in an emergency from a small battery

doc1876
09-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Run your tumbler?

Isaac
09-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Leave them there! All you described are universal AD/DC brush-type motors and create sparks which you might NOT want around your powder. I keep them away from any volatile solvents or power.

And they are always generally high speed (5-12K RPM) low torque because they were made EXACTLY for the appliance they were used in.......and nothing more. And they are normally part of the cast housing with bearings and gearing as part of the appliance housing.....not easily removed in working status.

Even the Dreaded Dremel is a sparky.

If you want an excellent smaller size variable speed powerful motor, check out the DC ones thelittlemachineshop.com sells. I have 3 of them on smaller tools around the shops. 1/3-1/2 HP.

bangerjim

Thanks very much. I did not know that.

Isaac

destrux
09-29-2014, 02:07 PM
I made a tumbler out of some tupperware, an old lab equipment stand, and the windshield wiper motor from my old mitsubishi (wiper motors spin around at about 50rpm constantly and are made to run for a long time at high load). Works very nicely. It tumbles about 100 .223 cases at a time and I use a car battery I keep on a battery tender to run it (I keep the battery to run my 12V fridge in power outages anyway).

A multi speed mixer or sewing machine could have a tumbler container attached easily.

bangerjim
09-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Run your tumbler?

Problem is all those tiny appliance motors are universal AC/DC as I said above and are BRUSH type motors and NOT designed to run for hours on end. They get VERY hot and generally burn up. Think how long you run a blender or a drill or a sweeper! And how long you run a tumbler!!!!!!!!

Sorry, those type of motors just do not have a place in my book of acceptable motors for anything but what they were designed for.

Your REAL tumbler motors are "shaded poll" motors and run on AC only. Not high power...virtually ZERO starting torque, but can run for hours on end, like an electric fan, because there are no brushes or "rubbing" parts......only moving AC magnetic fields revolving in there. They start slow and run forever......until the bushings dry out!

If you want to go "on the cheep" and make a home-brew small rotary tumbler, use an electric fan motor......you cannot load it down a lot as they have very little torque, but once up to speed, they will run for hours!

bangerjim

Frank46
09-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Found some old 1/3 hp 1750 rpm motors at work in the trash. Made one into a polishing rig, one went on a drill press when the other motor went bluey and still have the third. Just cleaned them up internally to remove all the junk, grime. Oldest one I have is a 1/2 hp 3600 rpm that came out of my dads old table saw. That one is over 70 years old. Don't make them like that anymore. Frank

bangerjim
09-29-2014, 11:47 PM
Older motors like you are talking about are FULL rating HP, unlike the new C frame and other light weight low "power factor" motors of today. But much heavier and larger! If old enough, you might even find some AC's that have brushes and commutators! I have one from the early 1900's. Capacitor start/run are more common. DC motors were very common on the east coast because Edison wired it for DC early in the history of electricity. Fortunately Westinghouse and others convinced the industry that AC was the way to go for long grids and efficient power distribution.

Funny thing, today we are going back to DC more and more! (servos, solar, LED's).

banger