PDA

View Full Version : cut myself in the face

labradigger1
09-26-2014, 08:38 AM
Yesterday morning i had off from work and decided i would go out to dig some ginseng. Drove to where i was going to sang and loaded up the ruger srh 44 with some ratshot and 429421's and laid my hoe onto the across the bed toolbox. I shut the door of the truck and apparently the tip of my hoe handle was inside the swing of the closing door. The weight and speed of the closing door spun the head of the hoe around the rear of the cab at an amazing speed and the head ofnthe hoe struck me in the face between my left eye and across the bridge of the nose. The force was great enough that it knocked me to the ground and semi unconsience. When i came to blood was gushing down my face and when i was hit it knocked my truck keys out of my hands. The door was locked and closed just enough to partially latch so it would not open. I held pressure ovet the wound and was looking for my keys in the weeds. I finally found them and opened the truck door and grabbed a clean t-shirt that was laying on the seat and wiped my face to look in the mirror to see what i had done to myself. 2-1/2" cut about 1/4" wide right beside my eye and i could see my skull!
I jumped in the truck and drove myself home while holding pressure on the wound and did the best i could with my right eye. Once home i woke the wife up nearly scared her to death when she seen what i had done. She drove me to the er where i received 15 stiches. Today i have a whopper of a black eye nearly swelled shut and a huge scar that i am having trouble dealing with in the middle of my face as i know it will be for life. I am thankfull it missed my eye though.
I am certain many of us have laid whatever on the toolbox and shut the door with no incidents. I myself have prolly hundreds of times. I will not do so ever again, NEVER AGAIN!
I am currently waiting for my 71 year old father to arrive so we can go sanging together this morning as it is a wonderful cool morning here in wv.
Anyhow, i am just venting and hopefully this story will stick with someone and perhaps save an unnecessary accident for one of you in the future.
Lab

s mac
09-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Ouch, it is amazing how quick some things can happen. Hope you heal up soon.

Love Life
09-26-2014, 09:07 AM
You'll have sweet scar that you can claim you got whipping 4 people in a bar fight. I'm a glass half full kind of guy!

starnbar
09-26-2014, 09:10 AM
You are lucky it missed your eye scars I got those too after awhile you learn to live with em just be careful of secondary infection.

WILCO
09-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Glad to read it wasn't worse.

Garyshome
09-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Ouch!

Dennis Eugene
09-26-2014, 10:00 AM
This thread needs pictures.

John Allen
09-26-2014, 10:03 AM
That sucks. WE are our worst enemies sometimes.

imashooter2
09-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Glad you'll heal. Chicks dig scars. ;)

odfairfaxsub
09-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Get some frankinsense oil from your whole foods store and use that. Helps healing w face wounds really well. Did the same thing putting a bucket of wheel weights on a dolly

bubba.50
09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
I used to cut my face right regular. then I quit shavin' & the problem went away:mrgreen:.

Dave C.
09-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Have a plastic surgen look at it and do it to day! If you wait it will be forever. Don't say you are to poor. Find the money some how. Sell a gun it will be the best investment you ever make.

Dave C.

dagger dog
09-26-2014, 02:37 PM
It seems those facial-scalp wounds bleed the worse, ain't much meat covering the blood vessels, it makes the bones and ligaments show through.

Time heals scars, they tend to be like a calendar, you will always remember the day, time and circumstances that caused them.

DeputyDog25
09-26-2014, 03:06 PM
So glad it didn't hit your eye as this could have been so much worse. I will keep you in my prayers for quick healing and comfort. Take care of yourself and glad it wasn't worse than it could have been.

labradigger1
09-26-2014, 04:45 PM
You'll have sweet scar that you can claim you got whipping 4 people in a bar fight. I'm a glass half full kind of guy!

That would be much less embarasing than what really happened.

labradigger1
09-26-2014, 04:47 PM
This thread needs pictures.

I am not much on posting pics, pm me your mobile # and i would be happy to send you pics. You could post them to this thread if you like.
Lab

MtGun44
09-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Good luck, you are fortunate not to have damaged the eye.

Bill

monadnock#5
09-26-2014, 08:35 PM
I was using a 4' long length of 5" Dia pipe as a "persuader" on a chain wrench at work years ago. The pipe slipped off and I caught it on the way down with the bridge of my nose. Not good.
A few days later, the crew that I worked with couldn't resist the temptation any longer, and embarked on a marathon, pass the baton razz fest. At about the time I figured it wasn't going to end peacefully, a female voice cried out from the other side of the shop. "I THINK THAT'S THE SEXIEST SCAR I'VE SEEN LATELY!!!" Thus endeth the crisis, and all further commentary.

4719dave
09-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Your a lucky man ,,, god saved your sight ..

hiram1
09-26-2014, 09:24 PM
glad your ok could of been bad.thank GOD it was not your eye.

shoot-n-lead
09-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Your a lucky man ,,, god saved your sight ..

I am glad that it was no worse...

1845greyhounds
09-26-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm glad your accident, while serious and scary, was only skin deep.

When I was a kid, I was balance walking on a partially complete concrete block wall at my church. I fell off the wall and landed, face first on an exposed rebar end. The rebar punched a neat hole between my upper lip and nose. A fraction of an inch in almost any direction could have killed or paralyzed me. Chance or intervention saved me. I am thankful either way.

MaryB
09-26-2014, 11:15 PM
Must be the week for stitches, bad things come in 3's so who is next? Beat me, I only have 7 stitches holding my tendon and finger together! Glad it missed your eye and like you I had to drive. 25 miles to the er while keeping pressure on it. Prayers for fast healing and a good stitcher can leave a pretty tidy scar.

hardy
09-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Hey labradigger,thinking about things hitting things into faces reminds me of my foreman in a die repair shop about 50 years back.He had a cast iron block about 150 lbs bolted to a back plate on a lathe,put this huge wrench up on the head and hit the start button.The first bolt hit one end of the wrench and catapulted it straight onto his temple,laid him out for about 10 minutes,should have sent him to that great machine shop in the sky.Like your situation,someone up there didn,t want him that particular day.Glad to hear you,re still breathing Cheers,Mike...

dubber123
09-27-2014, 07:00 AM
I used to cut my face right regular. then I quit shavin' & the problem went away:mrgreen:.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.. :) Thats funny right there.

Just Duke
09-27-2014, 07:05 AM
That's horrible. Hope it heals up OK.

Wayne Smith
09-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Praying for quick healing. Usually plastic surgeons don't do anything until the original injury is healed. Then they repair what is needed.

Three44s
09-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Sure glad your accident was not worse!

Good luck on healing up!

Three 44s