PDA

View Full Version : Quickload software

dromia
02-02-2008, 07:11 PM
What's your views on it?

Anyone using it?

How good is it?

What particular applications do you apply it to?

Is it easy to learn/use?

Is it worth the dosh?

How goods the bullet library for cast boolits?

Pluses and minuses.

Just curious as I've been toying with the idea of getting some ballistic software, problem I've seen is that they need the ballistic coefficient of the bullet being used, many of the bullets/boolits I use I don't have a clue as to their BC.

Any input appreciated.

Scrounger
02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Can we do a Group buy on it? (I'm only half-kidding)

Tom Myers
02-02-2008, 07:40 PM
What's your views on it?

Anyone using it?

How good is it?

What particular applications do you apply it to?

Is it easy to learn/use?

Is it worth the dosh?

How goods the bullet library for cast boolits?

Pluses and minuses.

Just curious as I've been toying with the idea of getting some ballistic software, problem I've seen is that they need the ballistic coefficient of the bullet being used, many of the bullets/boolits I use I don't have a clue as to their BC.

Any input appreciated.

Something to Ponder:

Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/#BPCB)
Precision Cast Bullset BC Estimator (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/cast_bc.htm)

Tom Myers;

Doble Troble
02-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I've got it. I did a lot of wildcats for a while. It was a big help in developing loads.

I've found it to be very accurate, but there are a lot of variables, and to get good numbers you've got to be at least close on the variables.

Its worth its cost just to be able to do "experiments" in silico rather than with real components and range time.

Bass Ackward
02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I have loved it for 4 years now. Recommend it highly.

Now someone gives me a can of powder, I can just spit out a pressure equivalent for my bullet hardness (accuracy) level and shoot away instead of using half the can to work up a load. Can't get that from a manual. Paid for itself in component savings alone in less than 6 months.

garandsrus
02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Bass,

Can you provide a sample of the output you would get? How about IMR-4895, 220gr bullet (NEI group buy), ACWW?

Thanks,
John

Bass Ackward
02-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Bass,

Can you provide a sample of the output you would get? How about IMR-4895, 220gr bullet (NEI group buy), ACWW?

Thanks,
John

John,

Sample? It's pretty involved.

Here is what a page looks like.

http://www.neconos.com/details3c.htm

It used to be a demo you could play around with to get the feel. But you can see what information is required / involved.

The program is volume based. You program everything dealing with bullet length, weight, OAL loaded, diameter, case volume, barrel length, etc. Then you get a predicted velocity and pressure for a powder charge you select. I chrono a single load and adjust either the barrel length or shot start pressure so predicted matches chrono'ed. Then it will track extremely well for that primer. Change primer and you will need to record another velocity. Once you have one accurate load, you can ask the computer to predict other s for you or you can do it yourself.

If you are a wildcatter or a cast shooter, this is quite an advantage which is how I find it useful. I design a lot of my own bullets so it helps there too.

Here is the home page if that didn't work.

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

mike in co
02-03-2008, 12:59 AM
i have had it since....2000.......

its good and very flexible.

its a tool its not a bible.

your lot of powder may not be the same as the lot he used to develop the data.....

you can temp(permanent) change powder characteristics to get "your lot"

his start pressure is way off for hard cast boolits

all in all a pretty awesome tool..i think well woth the bucks

i have paid for several up grades as new versions come out.....

this is good as your tool grows..it is not static!

mike

garandsrus
02-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Bass,

Thanks... I downloaded the trial version.

John

wiljen
02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Can we do a Group buy on it? (I'm only half-kidding)

I checked into this once, no-go they will not sell it for less than the advertised price.