PDA

View Full Version : Tried finding answers to these: 1) Discoloration of ingots 2) lead bubbling in pot

Tallbald
09-24-2014, 11:11 PM
I have read stickies and search results this evening until I'm getting a headache. So I'll just ask. May be nothing, but I believe I need to learn and to understand.
Today I bought 5 "pure" lead roofing pipe boots and some "pure" lead sheeting at a local recycler for 65 cent a pound. Some had whitish oxidation(?) on it but I'm guessing this is to be expected. I'm melting in a cast iron pot on a two burner Coleman white gas stove, outside on steel patio furniture. Fluxing using pure beeswax twice. Pouring into a non-stick sheet steel miniature muffin tin. Let me add I'm no different from others here....once I did my first batch ever in my life last night, I couldn't wait to do it again.
One time the pot full of lead began boiling slowly like stew. Did my lead actually boil on this camp stove or was it likely some contaminants? I read in one thread here that lead boils at over 3100F (added-but I do not know fro certain), and I am suprised the Coleman could get that hot. I don't want to vaporize lead and risk injury from fumes.
One pot full of poured lead also turned bluish rainbow colors around the outside of the ingots. I found this condition when I spilled the hot ingots into the pile. Did I overheat the lead or was it something else probably? Should these be re-melted and fluxed again?
I have no reason to believe the materials were not pure lead, and the recyling center staff have no reason to sell me incorrect materials (mistakes can happen though).
Thanks. Don

MT Chambers
09-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Lead will bubble if there is any moisture under the surface of the melt, it can be worst and dangerous almost like an explosion aka; "the tinsel fairy".

62chevy
09-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Congrats on your first ingots !!! You probably got the lead to hot. A thermometer is almost a must and wish I had one when first starting this hobby. The bubbles could be anything so no clue.

quilbilly
09-24-2014, 11:45 PM
In my experience, that blue tint to the lead indicates that it is fairly pure and soft. That is my favorite type for doing my own alloys for boolits and save it for that purpose. Other less pure leads I use commercially for fishing jigs unless I am making bendable fish-shaped jigs.

Tallbald
09-24-2014, 11:56 PM
OK good. The boiling took place in a cast iron small fry pan I also bought at the scrapyard. I had wire brushed it to remove some rust flakes and will chalk it up to trash I missed. The bluish rainbow color may have meant the lead got too hot or is relatively pure. Should I re-melt and re-flux those ingots?
While I'm asking, the beeswax sometimes flames and sometimes doesn't. Either way, I am stirring well as soon as the wax melts. If it's flaming, should I wait until the flames subside before stirring? I really don't understand what the flux is doing, but read it's removing impurities. I just can't find out how it's doing it.... hmmm. So much to read and digest. Thanks again. Don

boho
09-25-2014, 12:11 AM
I would flux it with sawdust and then reduce with wax before using it to cast boolits. I get that boiling look when I pour into my cast iron ingot molds, and I believe it is from the rust on them. I am very meticulous when I smelt, I want very clean lead in my casting pot. The flame up from the wax is just because you are above the waxes flash point. It doesn't hurt to stir while the fire is going unless it burns you.

Mk42gunner
09-25-2014, 01:15 AM
Lead boils at something like 1137 degrees F (IIRC), so I really doubt you were boiling it with a Coleman stove. More likely it was the tinsel fairy knocking on the door.

The way to prevent her from entering and ruining your whole week is to make sure you have zero water trapped under the surface of molten lead. The easiest way to do this is to always start with an empty pot so that any moisture can boil off before the lead even melts.

A tinsel fairy visit is why some people recommend dressing for about MOPP level 97 before heating lead alloys.

Robert

Tallbald
09-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Excellent. Thanks once more. Don

dondiego
09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I have had roofing lead boil and bubble and found that it was caused by roofing sealant. The blue color indicates that it is close to pure, soft lead. No need to remelt these.

44man
09-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Blue means good pure lead and the crud outside and inside of pipes will bubble even if not wet. The junk on pipes is unreal.

243winxb
09-25-2014, 08:26 PM
One time the pot full of lead began boiling slowly like stew. Did my lead actually boil on this camp stove Yes. I have the same setup and it does boil/bubble. In fact, my alumum pot is trying to melt over the last 40 years. I need to get a cast iron one. Flux with bees wax, stir and scrape. Let it settle. Skim waste off top. Your pure lead it ok for muzzle loaders. Not good for 44 45 357 pistol or rifle. Add linotype to harden.

Tallbald
09-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks again. I have not a clue yet where to buy linotype. Will probably end up purchasing on-line. Don

Le Loup Solitaire
09-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Linotype is pretty hard stuff as it contains antimony and tin. Its BHN or hardness level is somewhere around 22. It makes hard bullets, but it can be used to make a harder alloy (with)/ than pure lead. It is also more expensive than wheelweights. Lead, pure or not, does not boil in ordinary casting tools or situations. Its something else mixed in with the lead that is boiling and you don't need a vessel looking like one of the mud pits in Yellowstone Nat'l Park sitting in front of your face. Discoloration of the alloy often indicates too hot temp and oxidation. Do not even think of the presence of moisture in your smelting or casting operations...it is dangerous and destructive to eyes and body parts. The use of sawdust is recommended by many;beeswax can be also used. Sometimes it will ignite on its own, but a common practice is to toss a lighted match into the pot with it to cause it to flame and reduce the amount of smoke coming off it. A small amount will do; you can also use a piece of ordinary candle wax too. Flux and skim to keep your metal clean. LLS

303Guy
09-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Lead will 'boil' if one pokes a piece of wood into the melt. Any mold, moss of other organic material on the lead will do the same. It's not the moisture but the gases produced by thermal decomposition of the organic material. Wet oxides or dirt will do the same. Trapped water in the melt - not so good!

Walter Laich
09-27-2014, 10:55 PM
On the other hand.....
if the non-stick muffin pan is new it will take a few pours to rid it of the non-stick surface--don't worry the lead will still drop out. The non-stick coating will cause some interesting action in the melted lead till it's gone. Nothing to be worried about.