PDA

View Full Version : Enfield #4 carbine 45 acp

Bullshop
09-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Just got a flyer from Century that shows a first time offered Enfield #4 carbine in 45 acp. Cant think of a practical use for these accept lots of cheap fun shooting. They look very interesting, and I believe are based on the British comando version but are lacking the silencer. They take standerd Colt clips. We are ordering three for the shop. They are a neat looking carbine that I think will sell. If I am wrong again I guess we will just shoot them. I see 45 holes through our rabbits and grouce in the future. For those of you living with w.t. deer they might work nicely with heavier boolits for close shots in the brush. Check em out item # RL1231-V
BIC/BS

Scrounger
09-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Be nice if those were C & R but I doubt that. How much is Century selling them for?

Buckshot
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
...........They do sound like fun. I had a Spanish Destroyer carbine rebarreled from 38 Largo to 45 ACP and was doing full on 44 mag ballistics from the 16" bbl. Even squeezed a Lee 405gr down to .452" and had it going 1075 fps. Not bad ballistics from a 45 ACP case :D!

.............Buckshot

Shepherd2
09-19-2005, 06:23 AM
The price is $299.87 and they are not C&R.

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Just got a flyer from Century that shows a first time offered Enfield #4 carbine in 45 acp. Cant think of a practical use for these accept lots of cheap fun shooting. They look very interesting, and I believe are based on the British comando version but are lacking the silencer. They take standerd Colt clips. We are ordering three for the shop. They are a neat looking carbine that I think will sell. If I am wrong again I guess we will just shoot them. I see 45 holes through our rabbits and grouce in the future. For those of you living with w.t. deer they might work nicely with heavier boolits for close shots in the brush. Check em out item # RL1231-V
BIC/BS

that was made on the SMLE No1Mk111 actions. It had a funny silencer where the bullet ran along the top of the silencer cylinder and plates spaced around 1/4" apart swirled the gas around in a corkscrew. I have a book on it. It used a Colt 45 mag. Often thought of making one (rifle, this is, I wouldn't dream of making the silencer, that would be illegal.) I'll have to try and scan some of the sketches if you are interested.

StarMetal
09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
More then likely that rifle is made bythe Rhinehart Company because if you go to Rhineharts website their picture of it and Centuries looked dead identical the same. You can purchase the parts separate or in a kit to build your own rifle if you have the action...comes in the #4 and Mauser. By the way Rhinehart even admits the barrels are made by E.R. Shaw. The barrels are headspaced by a nut like the Savage Co. uses so pretty easy to build your own. Probably the hardest part would be getting your old barrel off the action especially some of those old Mausers.

Read an article on the #4 45acp model and the shooter said there wasn't any velocity gain what so ever using factory 45 acp ammo. Well, I'd like to say he's full of it because I have two 45 acp carbines..one being a Thompson machinegun semi-auto copy and the other a HK UPC Carbine, both with 16 inch barrels and I can say my reloads are faster from the carbines then they are from my pistols and I usually use Unique powder and standard book loadings. Not alot faster but faster.

Joe

Bullshop
09-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Joe
Could ya give me a link to that Rhineharts website ? I tried to order from Century and the rep said they dont actualy have them. Could be just testing the water to set the price. I thought 300 was fair but have an idea when they do actualy have them they will be more. I did a search for the sight but am not finding it. I have a 95 mauser action to work with. Thanks!!!
BIC/BS

StarMetal
09-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Dan,

I'm terribly sorry, I meant Rhineland Arms and the sight is :

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/

You will see No 4 and Mauser 45 acp conversion on the menu on the left side.

Joe

jethrow strait
09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I put a couple of those 45 ACP barrels on a small ring Spanish '93 and a large ring VZ24 action just a few weeks ago. Very pleased. Actually the blanks are rifled by E.R. Shaw, and then contoured(straight, military step allowing use of original Mauser sights, and sporter) and crowned by Rhineland, as their lit. explains. For an extra 10 bucks they will ream out the chamber to 45 Win Mag.

I just got the barrels and filed the front of the magazine rails to load from the standard mauser magazine, basically as a single-shot. Works for me at $75, but for twice that you can get the complete kit for the 1911 magazine(Mauser or #4 Lee Enfield).

I just use em as range plinkers, since I'm dong a lot more shooting with big bore handguns these days, and I miss having a rifle around at times. Nothing spectacular accuracy wise, but after a hundred rounds or so break-in, they consistantly shoot one holers at 25yds and 1-2+" at 50 yds. Best of all, they shoot cast better than j.... boolits, and mine shoot the 200gr RCBS SWC a bit better than the traditional 230RN.----------jethrow

jethrow strait
09-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I did chrony the difference between a 45 ACP BH(5.5") and a standard 1911 and the carbine barrel. Actually, the increase with factory ammo or cast equivalent was more than I expected, but naturally less than with higher intensity .357 or .44 Mag ammo, about 200fps(190-215 range)rather than 300+fps with the magnums.-----jethrow

Bullshop
09-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Dan,

I'm terribly sorry, I meant Rhineland Arms and the sight is :

http://www.rhinelandarms.com/

You will see No 4 and Mauser 45 acp conversion on the menu on the left side.

Joe
Joe
Thanks for the link, got it that time.
BIC/BS

brimic
09-22-2005, 04:54 AM
The silenced enfield used by Brittish SAS was called the Delisle Carbine.
Here's a place that makes a replica, albeit an expensive one.

http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.htm

I would think it would be a neat thing to have for blasting backyard varmints, but I couldn't justify spending that much for one nor do I have the skills to make one myself. I'll have to settle for the old .22 rifle shooting colibris.

45nut
09-24-2005, 07:32 PM
SurplusRifle.com did an article on the "kits" available here http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/rlenfield/index.asp that covered one man's "journey" in converting a No4 very well. His take on it? Not all that straight forward. Seems Rhineland left out a few bits and pieces in their instructions. A nice little conversion though,I would love to have one to complement my 45-70 No1Mk3.
All in good time,all in good time. Seems patience pays off and I can wait.

45 2.1
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
As nice as these conversions are, and I would like one also, you can get a Mech Tech carbine conversion for the 1911s, glocks and others to the 45 acp and other calibers as well. My Mech Tech 45 acp conversion has shot several 2" groups at 100 yds. They are set up to use the 1911 frame and have a weaver scope rail to mount a scope on.

45nut
09-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I totally agree about the Mech-Tech's. Mine is as advertised and accurate and fun to boot. Having a spare 1911 lower made the purchase simple and smart. I did not care for the solid bar reaching back from the reciever so I placed a handle bar pad from a mx bike on it,made it much more comfortable.
I have since replaced the scope with a Holosight so this pic is a little out of date.
http://home.earthlink.net/~chevyken/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/webp0000998.jpg