PDA

View Full Version : Just some interesting flaws.

Harter66
09-24-2014, 12:05 AM
The state of Nevada has a rather long winded definition that I guess could be simplified . For pistols 24 cal or larger w/ a minimum case length of that of the Remington 44 magnum .
I always thought it was sort of quaint that the 256 WM and 30 carbine would make the cut for a handgun on Elk. Tonight while looking at the 32s in the Lyman Boolit hand book I found that the 327 F Mag misses out but your good to go w/a 32-20 .

Now myself I don't see me jumping off with less than a 357 and a 45 Colts makes me plenty happy so I'm not going after an Elk w a 32-20 and my good looks,. Just food for thought.

cbrick
09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
That 32-20 could work out well, all you need to do is convince said elk to hold still while you slip the muzzle into his ear. :mrgreen:

Rick

Freightman
09-24-2014, 12:39 PM
[smilie=w:I want to see that!

obssd1958
09-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Idaho's rules for Big game allow ANY centerfire to be used in our any weapon seasons, or hunts.
The weapons restrictions just say:

no electronic devices attached to the firearm (except tritium or lighted scope reticles)

can't weigh more than 16 pounds with all accessories attached

no fully automatic weapon

that you can't use shot smaller than #00 buck in a shotgun

no rimfire handgun or rifle, and no muzzle loading handgun, except for mountain lion or legally-trapped gray wolves

Of course there are specific restrictions for the various archery, muzzle loader, and short range hunts.

The results of this "open" caliber choice, was very apparent last year, when two of the deer we harvested were carrying relatively fresh wounds that revealed .22 caliber projectiles when opened up.
I normally would not have taken the little buck that I shot, but I watched it stand out in the open for almost 30 minutes, at noon. It hardly moved, and it was apparent that it was in distress. I decided that I would use my tag and put it down. Once I got to it and started the field dressing process, I found 3 festering wounds in it's hindquarters. Two were the result of a pass-through, and the third had a .22 caliber FMJ at lodged against the hide on the offside of the ham. I lost some of the meat from the areas around the wounds, but I'm glad that I did what I did.
I am not saying that Fish and Game should write rules that are so restrictive that it takes a lawyer to figure out what you are allowed to use, but it would sure be nice if there were some way to inform the un-informed that their choice is not the wisest...

Harter66
09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
The rifle rules are similar 22 cal or larger center fire ,2 inch or greater OAL,1000 ft lbs at 100 yds so a 222 running at the very edge of stupid w/55 sp will make the cut , but a 45-70 in an 18 Marlin guide gun w/a ported bbl and the factory Rem 350 HP tetters on the edge of the 1kftlbs .

I just thought that the 32-20 w/ that 1.310 case being legal for big game was spirited.
Maybe it is 1 of those unintended things with the 256 WM (you know the 357 case necked to 257).

seaboltm
09-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Once I got to it and started the field dressing process, I found 3 festering wounds in it's hindquarters. Two were the result of a pass-through, and the third had a .22 caliber FMJ at lodged against the hide on the offside of the ham.

Good job helping the animal out, but with the shot placement you described I am not sure a 308 would have done much better. The fool couldn't shoot and should not inflict his lack of marksmanship on any animal.

SSGOldfart
09-24-2014, 05:15 PM
[smilie=w:I want to see that!
Me too:veryconfu:mrgreen:

obssd1958
09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Good job helping the animal out, but with the shot placement you described I am not sure a 308 would have done much better. The fool couldn't shoot and should not inflict his lack of marksmanship on any animal.

The deer that my wife harvested had what looked like a "goring" wound in one of the hindquarters, in and out, and it wasn't until I got mine that we figured that it was also due to a bullet wound. We're just speculating, but the fact that both deer were harvested within a quarter mile of each other, and both had wounds that would indicate an angle where they were moving away - we suspect that it was someone with a semi-auto, just blasting away, and hoping that something dropped.
NO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

dakotashooter2
09-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Idaho's rules for Big game allow ANY centerfire to be used in our any weapon seasons, or hunts.
The weapons restrictions just say:

no electronic devices attached to the firearm (except tritium or lighted scope reticles)

can't weigh more than 16 pounds with all accessories attached

no fully automatic weapon

that you can't use shot smaller than #00 buck in a shotgun

no rimfire handgun or rifle, and no muzzle loading handgun, except for mountain lion or legally-trapped gray wolves

Of course there are specific restrictions for the various archery, muzzle loader, and short range hunts.

The results of this "open" caliber choice, was very apparent last year, when two of the deer we harvested were carrying relatively fresh wounds that revealed .22 caliber projectiles when opened up.
I normally would not have taken the little buck that I shot, but I watched it stand out in the open for almost 30 minutes, at noon. It hardly moved, and it was apparent that it was in distress. I decided that I would use my tag and put it down. Once I got to it and started the field dressing process, I found 3 festering wounds in it's hindquarters. Two were the result of a pass-through, and the third had a .22 caliber FMJ at lodged against the hide on the offside of the ham. I lost some of the meat from the areas around the wounds, but I'm glad that I did what I did.
I am not saying that Fish and Game should write rules that are so restrictive that it takes a lawyer to figure out what you are allowed to use, but it would sure be nice if there were some way to inform the un-informed that their choice is not the wisest...

One of the arguments you hear from the AR crowd for that choice of weapon for hunting is the capability of rapid follow up shots, or in this case rapid follow up WOUNDS..........................................

Larry Gibson
09-24-2014, 07:15 PM
You can have all the "sensible" regulations you want but you aren't going to legislate/regulate marksmanship or ethical shooting practices. All the laws against poaching haven't stopped that. I worked in LE in NE Oregon too many years to think otherwise. Because few game enforcement officers are gun savvy they usually don't even check the firearms hunters are using let alone enforce the regs. Reason is they just don't know what is legal and what isn't. Bad marksmanship afield is very common with unsighted in rifles being the norm. Don't believe that work a "sighting in days" at a range sometime. Also I've put a lot more injured/wounded deer and elk down from archery and dumb people drinking, smoking dope and doing "drive byes" on deer, in and out of season. Also put down a number of cows and does shot during bull and buck seasons.

Can't legislate regulate ethics and morality..............or the use of a sensible cartridge for hunting. Just to many variables and opinions to them all.

Larry Gibson

troyboy
09-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Their is no possible way to regulate stupid

Harter66
09-24-2014, 09:16 PM
1 of the hogs we killed had a 30 cal fmj lodged in its shoulder. I think the operative flaw here is fmj which is outlawed anyway . I think we all know better than to intentionally use an under powered cartridge. Frankly if I were a warden I probably wouldn't even question a guy hunting w a 45-70 . I've seen plenty of clean kills w a 22-250 on mulies but they were well placed shots too. I have a shot in mind when I pick out an animal and if I can't get it into the boiler room I pass ,wait or pick a different animal.

But this wasn't about ethos in the sense of shoot well or don't shoot . It was about ethos I suppose in using enough cartridge . I'm sure if I dug around I could find a dozen more that simply aren't suitable but when it comes to it they're are black and white legal . Just not a good choice. There is no way I'd hunt antelope with a 256WM much less elk.

Plate plinker
09-24-2014, 09:24 PM
The right projectile makes a huge difference, but many people don't understand a.223 fmj is not the same as a .223 soft point or whatever.

leadman
09-25-2014, 03:21 AM
Well Larry, you now live in a state where it is legal to hunt elk with a 25acp pistol. I would step up to the 32 S&W at least though. LOL.
I have not seen many guns in the field here that I would not consider powerful enough to do the job with good shot placement.
Even a 12 gauge slug may not drop a deer if hit in the wrong place.

Glad the OP took out the sick deer.

Harter66
09-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Not that I wouldn't , but that was Idmule .