PDA

View Full Version : Boolits R 2 Small

Hondo 60
09-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I have a Lee TL314-90-SWC & it drops the boolits too small.
Barrel slugs at .312, bullets are dropping at .308-.309

I'm air cooling them - so no water.

I'm making them outta the following lead material.

Seller says - "25+ lbs of clean fluxed lead ingots - not pure lead. I have been told it contains 5.5% antimony so it should be hard enough for higher velocity bullet casting. I do not know the exact hardness but you can scratch it with your fingernail."

I use a Lee 10lb bottom pour pot set on the #5 heat setting.

While I'm not a total noob, I don't have any experience changing the chemical makeup of the melt.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

leadman
09-23-2014, 10:08 PM
If you can posts some pictures of your boolits it might make suggesting a fix easier.

If your boolits are shiny you can try turning up the pot to 7 and see what happens. A cold mold or alloy may not fill out all the way. Do not be afraid of frosty boolits.

texasbilly
09-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Old time printers used "foundry type" to set their words for printing. This foundry type is lead-based and melts at low temperatures. Because it flows like water into the mold, it fills the mold to its maximum diameter without measurable shrinkage. The resultant boolits are very hard. I suggest that you start canvasing old printing shops around the area, and purchase some foundry type. That will take care of the problem you are having.
BTW, it is also useful for alloying raw lead too.

1johnlb
09-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Add some tin. Lino if you have some.

GhostHawk
09-24-2014, 08:35 AM
There is a wealth of information here regarding molds.
Make sure you cruise through all the sticky's.

I agree with poster above, more tin would help I think.

As a last resort I got my .312 mold to throw .314 by using 3 small strips of metal foil tape. One on each edge, one in the middle. Stay at least 1/8th inch away from the bullet cavity. Make sure it still closes up tight and square.

Different alloy's will cast at different sizes. Tin will make them bigger.

Good luck!

melloairman
09-24-2014, 11:26 PM
I have peened two .356 molds and they now drop .358 . No flashings and you can always file the raised part off all together and return to the original cast size . I peened and filed down to the cast size I wanted . But if the mold is filling out all the way and you do not want to do any of the mentioned remedies . I might be interested in buying the mold for my .308 . Just PM me. Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/IMG_7542-Copy_zps6ba8c92e.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/IMG_7542-Copy_zps6ba8c92e.jpg.html)