PDA

View Full Version : Latest Scam

alamogunr
09-23-2014, 04:43 PM
I've seen it all now. I just got 2 emails from "E-Zpass" dunning me for unpaid toll road fees.

I haven't been on a toll road in over 3 years and when I am I always pay cash. The only thing I can come up with is they want a credit card #.

georgerkahn
09-23-2014, 04:50 PM
I've been an EZ-pass user for years, and frankly have been quite impressed with their book-keeping billing. A few years back i forgot I was towing a boat until I went through the toll booth. Oops! I rang them when I got home; they laughed WITH me, and asked if it was OK to just add eighty-five cents or so to my billing -- and that was it!

Thanks for heads-up, though; should I get an email from someone posing to be them, I'll do the usual -- simply hit "delete". As ALL transactions are done vis paper statements, WHY would an email be credible?

BEST!
georgerkahn

pworley1
09-23-2014, 05:17 PM
If they can get just one to fall for it they have had a big day.

tunnug
09-23-2014, 05:38 PM
I also got one saying I needed to pay, only problem is that I haven't been out of AZ and I've yet to know of any toll roads out here.

plmitch
09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
No one is stupid enough to fall for one of those scams.

R.M.
09-23-2014, 06:37 PM

I wouldn't bet on it.

Rick N Bama
09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
I got the Emails from them for about a month or so. Like others I haven't been on a Toll Road in years and the times I have been in the past I paid cash.

cbrick
09-23-2014, 07:49 PM

Really? Wanna make a little wager on that. Those scams are highly successful just as are telemarketers. If these weren't successful they would dry up and blow away, since they don't they are working. Lot's of gullible folks out there and if they are only successful with a small fraction of the emails they send out they make a fortune.

Rick

dragon813gt
09-23-2014, 08:05 PM

And neither is the Nigerian scam :rolleyes:
Truth is they are extremely successful because people are gullible. Unfortunately they tend to prey on the elderly. To many people are to trusting and give out personal info freely.

alamogunr
09-23-2014, 08:09 PM
One give away is they used E-Zpay instead of EZ-pay, which the second poster used and is probably correct.

30calflash
09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
One give away is they used E-Zpay instead of EZ-pay, which the second poster used and is probably correct.

Misprinting a company or corporation logo is a quick way to sort thru the bogus stuff.

Had some FEDex type scam sent, correct color and all. Had been ordering stuff and thought it could be, but a co worker compared logo's and it told the whole story.

MT Gianni
09-23-2014, 11:48 PM
So you guys have to pay to drive on the highway?

Duckiller
09-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Everyone pays to drive on public roads. Federal and State gas taxes are much more than sales taxes.

buckwheatpaul
09-24-2014, 07:32 AM
When I was sheriff I had a gentleman come to me at two different times with tickets for not paying his toles.....I simply called their 800 number and got with a technician who actually did their job......the problem each time was a car with a similar license number, to the gentleman I was helping, but from out of state failed to pay the tole....plus in each case the violator went through the tole gate it was late at night so the cameras were some what hampered......a little time and a little good will went a long way.....good luck!

nhrifle
09-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Just wait till your computer gets locked down by the "Department of Justice" for viewing lewd material. Happened to one of the computers in my house and required a reformat of the hard drive to get rid of.

bobthenailer
09-24-2014, 07:42 AM
FME with E-Z pass in PA , they will send you a letter in the mail stating there case.
On several occasions i use the E-Zpass unit that is regestered to a car by license plate # on another one of my rides . they sent me a letter in the mail to ask if i had a E-Z pass and if so would charge my account for that 1 use . if no account you would get a ticket & fine. I never got a E- mail
After a few times they saw a pattern of use by other plate numbers that belong to us , since then no more letters.

captaint
09-24-2014, 08:13 AM
Got a snail mail letter from PA this week. They always notify you when your account gets low on funds. Don't think I've ever gotten an email though.

bob208
09-24-2014, 09:16 AM
i have been getting phone calls wanting to verify my s.s. number. i just hang up.

cbrick
09-24-2014, 10:08 AM
So you guys have to pay to drive on the highway?

That's how it works in some places, use your tax money to build roads and then charge you every time you use the road.

Rick

waksupi
09-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Just wait till your computer gets locked down by the "Department of Justice" for viewing lewd material. Happened to one of the computers in my house and required a reformat of the hard drive to get rid of.

That is a Trojan. To remove those, restart in safe mode, and run deep scan with Malawarebytes. This will catch it, and remove it. If you do not start in safe mode, the trojan replicates itself when it is removed, and just continues being a problem. It is a good idea to do a safe mode deep scan as general maintenance.

OeldeWolf
09-24-2014, 04:44 PM
For over week, I had the same phone number calling me on my cell phone. They asked for me by name, then tried to run the ld Microsoft service center "there is a problem with your Windows program" scam. Then finally the phone number showed an origination of call tag. It was coming from Iran!

I called up the CIA, their operator seemed bored till she heard the country of origin, then perked right up! Here is hoping that something like all their computers having their fans shut off happens to the nice scammers ....

10x
09-27-2014, 08:46 AM
And neither is the Nigerian scam :rolleyes:
Truth is they are extremely successful because people are gullible. Unfortunately they tend to prey on the elderly. To many people are to trusting and give out personal info freely.

You mean that the dozens of bank accounts totaling hundreds of millions of U.S. Dollars that are waiting for me in a bank in Nigeria are a scam???
Wow! Glad I caught that before I borrowed $2000 to pay their administration fees so they can transfer me the money...