PDA

View Full Version : Seems all you cowards are right!

HarryT
09-22-2014, 10:24 AM
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26592220/bear-suspected-of-killing-hiker-in-new-jersey

Out running your friends can save your life in a bear attack.

"...a black bear attacked and killed a hiker in a northern New Jersey nature preserve...five friends from Edison were hiking in the Apshawa Preserve when they encountered the bear...the group became frightened and ran in different directions...one member was missing when they regrouped."

Statistically bears don't attack groups of five or more people. They should have at least had a can of bear spray and a plan.

fishhawk
09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Well running causes the chase kill instinct of a black bear and no way you can out run one. Black bears also climb trees. If a lone black bear attacks it's because you are prey and you are on the menu make your self as big and noisy as possible and back away slow. If the bear gets you down fight like hell because your life does depend on it.

Beagle333
09-22-2014, 10:42 AM

I knew it!! :holysheep

Janoosh
09-22-2014, 11:04 AM
This is all the fault of hunters. They drove the bear off of its natural habitat and onto the nature preserve. The hunters are at fault. See, now there is one death attributed to the NJ bear hunt.
Now...I'm posting from my phone, and can't find the purple font, so note the touch of N.Y. sarcasm.
Unfortunately, there are people that will think that way.

imashooter2
09-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Cowards? I'm screwed because I'm probably the slowest amongst my friends, but I can't fault them for not going bare knuckles with a bear on my behalf.

John Allen
09-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I eat a lot of garlic so hopefully the bear will not like it if he comes after me. Plus I also plan to s**t myself so that should also help.

DougGuy
09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
With a name like the deceased, it's possible he smelled of curry and the bear was hungry for Indian food. You can smell that stuff on the skin for days if you eat enough of it.

MrWolf
09-22-2014, 02:30 PM
See, if they would just let us carry in this damn state a life could have been saved.

cbrick
09-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Whenever I'm hiking in bear country with friends I ALWAYS make certain that at least one of them IS much slower than me. :mrgreen:

Rick

dakotashooter2
09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26592220/bear-suspected-of-killing-hiker-in-new-jersey

"...a black bear attacked and killed a hiker in a northern New Jersey nature preserve...five friends from Edison were hiking in the Apshawa Preserve when they encountered the bear...the group became frightened and ran in different directions...one member was missing when they regrouped."

Statistically bears don't attack groups of five or more people. They should have at least had a can of bear spray and a plan.

Guess his PETA card didn't work..................

bob208
09-22-2014, 03:50 PM
there is a name for people that go in bear country with out a firearm. bear droppings.

jlucke69
09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Cowards? I'm screwed because I'm probably the slowest amongst my friends, but I can't fault them for not going bare knuckles with a bear on my behalf.

So, wanna go hiking? I'm looking for a partner....

gwpercle
09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
You got to watch out for them statistical bears they're the worse kind.
Maybe you can't outrun a bear but you can always take along a slow guy and outrun him! The statistical bears always stop when they catch the one they're chasing.

HarryT
09-22-2014, 04:38 PM
I wonder if someone stood still would the bear run past him chasing a running person or stop and eat the stationary prey. Has a bear ever killed more than one person in a group (not counting someone trying to stop a bear from attacking another person in his group)?

dagger dog
09-22-2014, 05:02 PM
I eat a lot of garlic so hopefully the bear will not like it if he comes after me. Plus I also plan to s**t myself so that should also help.

Yeah at least you can make his traction a little on the slick side !

With the reintroduction of the top of the food chain in different areas, it calls for a rethinking of outdoor activities !

waksupi
09-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Of related interest;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

RoyEllis
09-22-2014, 07:15 PM

legend 550
09-22-2014, 07:53 PM
I carry. Friends don't. I figure a well placed knee shot on the buddy I like least and I can walk away at a brisk pace.

BrassMagnet
09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
I wonder if someone stood still would the bear run past him chasing a running person or stop and eat the stationary prey. Has a bear ever killed more than one person in a group (not counting someone trying to stop a bear from attacking another person in his group)?

Yes, at least one elderly couple out camping. They suspect the bear attacked the wife and the husband came to her defense. Right instincts, no weapon.

BrassMagnet
09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I carry. Friends don't. I figure a well placed knee shot on the buddy I like least and I can walk away at a brisk pace.

I like the sign!
Must be a joke.

I like to tell my co-workers about "right tactic, wrong bear!"

Playing "dead" may work with a Grizzly teaching you a lesson. It just makes dinner less work for a black bear.

BrassMagnet
09-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Bears are out in force in Colorado this year.

I have a cow elk tag and a bear tag so I don't have to run!
I'm old and real slow, but I shoot OK.

Hickory
09-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Whenever I'm hiking in bear country with friends I ALWAYS make certain that at least one of them IS much slower than me. :mrgreen:

Rick

At this point in my life, I'd have to find someone who is slower in a wheelchair with one arm in a sling.

Plate plinker
09-22-2014, 09:51 PM
:groner:

My luck the bear would lick my **** then roll on me like a dog squashing me to death. Then it would make the papers.

Garyshome
09-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Wait it was in NJ? Not gonna happen to me, no way in hell am I ever gonna be in nj period. Where I live I can carry! Oh and there are bears here!

BrassMagnet
09-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Wait it was in NJ? Not gonna happen to me, no way in hell am I ever gonna be in nj period. Where I live I can carry! Oh and there are bears here!

Gary,

Please tell me it is not true. Do you really have a higher goal in life than becoming bear scat?
Those bears have a right to eat, too!
Any animal rights activists out there that want to help out a poor, hungry bear?

BrassMagnet

leeggen
09-22-2014, 10:58 PM
HarryT, I don't know about you but in that situation my feet would not let me stand still to see if the bear would run by. I am sure when I got to the ranger station and he asked me if I was scared I wouuld tell him, No but I passed a few that were! Hate to hear about the bear attacks they just never turn out good to the people nor the bear. Now they will hunt a bear down , kill it and say they have removed the attack ear, and everyone is safe now.

CD

gpidaho
09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
As Ron White said ' Unlike my grandpa , when his grandpa said You'll never amount to s**t, He was wrong" GP

Multigunner
09-23-2014, 12:50 AM
I have a close friend that is entirely without fear. If a bear attacked he would spring on it like a pit bull.
If I were with him I'd have to back his play so long as he was alive because he'd do the same for me.

If I were with a bunch of strangers or almost anyone I know outside of family I'd break Jessie Owen's records getting out of there.

As for bears not attacking groups of five or more, I've seen videos of a bear charging that many hunters and their companions with three of them pouring magnum rifle bullets into him fast as they could work the actions.
That may be uncommon behavior but an enraged bear often has little in the way of common sense or instinct for self preservation.

Buck Neck It
09-23-2014, 01:32 AM
A young woman hiking alone near my town was "molested" by a black bear. The bear was testing her to see if she could be made into a meal. The girl picked up a stick and fought the bear off. She was in the Marine Corps, on leave.

nylocmik
09-23-2014, 02:39 AM
With all this wisdom I'm reading here, I bet none of you know what bears without ears are called. You ready for this.....? B. Okay in case you missed it, B(ears). No ears.

triggerhappy243
09-23-2014, 03:01 AM
I hear crickets.

triggerhappy243
09-23-2014, 03:02 AM
best defense for bears is a can of wasp and hornet spray.... short of a fully loaded AR-10

leftiye
09-23-2014, 04:29 AM

There was a case I read about in Michigan (?) years ago where three teenage boys (fishing together) were all killed by a black bear.

dragon813gt
09-23-2014, 06:37 AM
I have to wonder why they weren't carrying bear spray. Wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal there. Both NY and NJ are close by but I refuse to step foot there. Not being prepared is foolish.

Janoosh
09-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Bambi-itis...they don't think the woods are dangerous. It's a nature preserve, it's NJ. ...that doesn't happen here..that kind of attitude.

dragon813gt
09-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Pepper spray? Seriously, I've never looked for it and have been "in the woods" for 50+ years. Bears, yeah, they're around, but they're generally shy. I carry a 357 when out on my property, but its more apt to be needed for a 2 legged a$$hole.

Yes, seriously. You can't carry a firearm in NJ. So why wouldn't you want to protect yourself? The sprays are effective so I would be carrying it w/ me.

imashooter2
09-23-2014, 07:53 AM
I have to wonder why they weren't carrying bear spray. Wouldn't surprise me if it was illegal there. Both NY and NJ are close by but I refuse to step foot there. Not being prepared is foolish.

Legal with restrictions... not exactly bear dosage...

Any non-felon 18 or over may possess for the purpose of self-defense "one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air". Section 2C:39-6i.

dragon813gt
09-23-2014, 10:44 AM
The simple answer is that I have no need to venture forth into the People's Republic of NJ. There is plenty of land west of the Delaware River to walk on, and some of that is deeded to me; I'll carry open or concealed, hollow points if I'm so inclined, and all legally.

Same here, so what's your point? I was giving a simple suggestion. My 13yo step daughter carries the spray when she's venturing in the Poconos. Or should I hand her a 357 and say have at it? Never thought brining up a viable way to protect yourself, doesn't matter if you aren't going into NJ, would be a bad thing.

cbrick
09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Bambi-itis...they don't think the woods are dangerous. It's a nature preserve, it's NJ. ...that doesn't happen here..that kind of attitude.

Your not too far off the mark, you just need to realize that to many city liberals the wilderness is the vacant lot next to the 7-11 store.

Rick

MBTcustom
09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
I have no fear of bears as long as I have one of my liberal friends with me. I just carry my Ruger LCP with me and I'll make it out of there just fine.

Janoosh
09-23-2014, 04:13 PM
To many city liberals, the wilderness is..... Central Park...
Born and raised in NYC. .got out when I could...unfortunately, that's where most of my accounts are.

lbaize3
09-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Heck, I can barely walk and I promise you that the only bear bites I will get will be on the elbow, heel or butt.....

Gator 45/70
09-25-2014, 05:55 PM
You don't have to be faster than yours friends.
Just shoot them in the knee cap with your .22
Easy catch for the bear.

cbrick
09-25-2014, 06:50 PM
You don't have to be faster than yours friends.
Just shoot them in the knee cap with your .22
Easy catch for the bear.

Hehehe . . .

My best friend > Why are you bringing a 22?
Me > Bear attack.
My Best Friend > Bear attack? A 22 won't work!
Me > Sure it will, if there is a bear attack you'll see how well! :mrgreen:

Rick