PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's "Outpost" store opens this week in my town. Reloading stuff?

Tallbald
09-21-2014, 11:50 PM
For a town our size (65.000 or so), I'm suprised we have a Gander Mountain and this week a Cabela's Outpost store opens. The Louisville, KY store says they sell reloading stuff, but the fella I talked to didn't know how much. Hoping to pick up some primers and other supplies (maybe even powder) tomorrow. Anyone familiar with this size store? Don

TXGunNut
09-21-2014, 11:59 PM
First I've heard of it. Let us know what you find. If you don't find what you're looking for be sure to fill out a survey indicating what you hoped to find but didn't.
One nice thing is the "ship to store" service that lets you pick up catalog items at the store with no shipping charges....except haz-mat.

waksupi
09-22-2014, 12:24 AM
We have a Cabela's Outpost. I've been in once, and was underwhelmed.

runfiverun
09-22-2014, 02:10 AM
no tennis shoes your size Ric?
or they didn't have the right strings for your tennis racket?

sporting goods used to mean outdoor in the woods type activities, I'm kinda surprised they don't sell video games in most of these places now.

Lonegun1894
09-22-2014, 02:59 AM
I have one nearby and they have some reloading supplies, but not a whole lot. Then again, the prices at the one place in town that used to be the only one in town to carry reloading stuff have come down to something closer to reasonable, and the selection at the Cabelas Outpost is still better than what we used to have. Basically, a few primers, maybe a dozen of the most common powders, and 2-3 different types/weights of bullets for the most common calibers. Nothing casting related, but I keep telling them they may want a few things so maybe someday...

Handloader109
09-22-2014, 07:13 AM
My big box cabelas usually has one or two bottles of Rifle Powder. Most of the time is 50cal Powder. I've bought a total of one pound from them in the last year. Probably at least one visit a month. Now primers have stayed on the shelf.

shooter2
09-22-2014, 11:09 AM
We have one and it is a waste of time.

Fishman
09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Well our Outpost store is a bit better, and it depends on when you are there. Last time I was in there they had three different brands of primers and most sizes in each brand, and they were "on sale". What that meant was that I went home with a box of 1000 Winchester Magnum small pistol primers for $29 plus tax.

They had 8 or 10 different types of powder, all rifle, and just 3 or 4 cans at most of each. They have some brass, a good selection of jacketed bullets (who still uses those!?), and a big selection of dies.

Not as much fun as the local gun store, but not bad either. Used gun prices are usually silly, as are all the new gun prices. It is easy not to spend money when the prices make you break out into a cold sweat just by looking at them, lol.

Overall, I am glad they are here. They do make an effort to support local outreach efforts for kids fishing and hunting. We are also getting a Gander Mountain opening in October, but my experience with them elsewhere makes me think that they will be pricier and have less selection than Cabela's

Springfield
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
One the way to somewhere else on vacation we stopped by the 2 year old Bass Pro shop. I have been there before with my son but my wife and daughter hadn't. They were impressed with the cool fish pond and all the animal heads on the wall and by the way it looked like a hunting lodge. She didn't find anything she wanted to buy, though. I bought the one per customer 300 pack of .22 lr's for the kids. Oh yeah, they did buy some fudge from the in-store candy store.

Jim Flinchbaugh
09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm with Ric on this one. Big disappointment when I got in the new store here.
Prices high on most things, no powder or primers to speak of, small smattering of brass. Lots of guns and glass
but way high in $$. A few bargains in the used gun rack. The only thing I have to say good about the place here is,
they do have a lot of fishing tackle that the other stores don't carry, so it was nice to see some variety there. And, the sight to store
option is nice you can order from the online bargain cave and get it shipped to the store for free.

Hogtamer
09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Since an Outpost opened here (Augusta Ga) I have purchased a shotgun, powder, shot, primers, .270 ammo, 2 molds, arrows, broadheads, and probably some other outdoor stuff I can't recall at the moment. The primers were bought @ Cabelas. But they sure have lots of stuff. Oh yeah, I bought a caliper there too.

Taylor
09-22-2014, 07:49 PM
They are opening in Bowling Green this weekend,I'll be there to see what they have.

Tallbald
09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Taylor I was the big strange-looking bald headed fella walking bent over with back pain. My son and I got in before the regular opening date as part of "friends and family" pre-opening. Scored a 333 pack of Federal Auto Match .22 rimfire for $15.29 after a discount, while my son got a full brick of Winchester .22 rimfire in a wood case for I think $23. The line was crazy for the .22, and there was an employee or two at that particular spot of the ammo section.I got a couple .357 nice plastic cartridge boxes for reloads ($2.50 each) and a small 12 gun Liberty-made Cabela's safe for $315 after a credit card application discount and on sale. Mercy it was crowded. There was a modest amount of reloading stuff that would meet the needs of an occasional reloader. Didn't see any casting stuff but there were indeed many die sets, jacketed slugs for rifle and handguns, and LOTS of shotshells. A row a dozen or so 1 pound jugs of powder was present but I don't know what I need just yet. No Trail Boss or Unique. I started to buy SP CCI primers but even with a discount, they'ed be $36/1000 and I belive I can match or beat that with a local retailer. Same issue with LP CCI primers. I'll definitely go back when the "new" has calmed down in a month or so. I like it. Much better from a shooting sports point of view as far as I'm concerned than the local Gander Mountain (better prices too casually looking on stuff I like). Oh. I got a nice free Cabela's hat too, but I shave my head and don't wear them. My loving wife asked if she could have it (well of course). Don

1lonewolf75
09-24-2014, 11:07 PM
onecin wichita and kc. Totally diffrent aame size store. The "help" at wichita don't know a .308 win from .223. Don't ask bout powder lead or bullets. To quote the preist in Blazin Saddles "Son yer on yer own"

Cmm_3940
09-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Is Outpost what they are calling the smaller stores that are popping up everywhere? The store in Columbus is like an oversized Gander Mountain or undersized bigbox. The store in Wheeling is like Disneyland. Both stores I've been in have been overpriced compared to other LGS.

1989toddm
09-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Taylor I was the big strange-looking bald headed fella walking bent over with back pain. My son and I got in before the regular opening date as part of "friends and family" pre-opening. Scored a 333 pack of Federal Auto Match .22 rimfire for $15.29 after a discount, while my son got a full brick of Winchester .22 rimfire in a wood case for I think $23. The line was crazy for the .22, and there was an employee or two at that particular spot of the ammo section.I got a couple .357 nice plastic cartridge boxes for reloads ($2.50 each) and a small 12 gun Liberty-made Cabela's safe for $315 after a credit card application discount and on sale. Mercy it was crowded. There was a modest amount of reloading stuff that would meet the needs of an occasional reloader. Didn't see any casting stuff but there were indeed many die sets, jacketed slugs for rifle and handguns, and LOTS of shotshells. A row a dozen or so 1 pound jugs of powder was present but I don't know what I need just yet. No Trail Boss or Unique. I started to buy SP CCI primers but even with a discount, they'ed be $36/1000 and I belive I can match or beat that with a local retailer. Same issue with LP CCI primers. I'll definitely go back when the "new" has calmed down in a month or so. I like it. Much better from a shooting sports point of view as far as I'm concerned than the local Gander Mountain (better prices too casually looking on stuff I like). Oh. I got a nice free Cabela's hat too, but I shave my head and don't wear them. My loving wife asked if she could have it (well of course). Don
This sounds identical to the store here in Union Gap.

Tallbald
09-25-2014, 09:53 PM
1989 there was a big strange-looking bald headed fella walking bent over with back pain at the Union Gap store too? That's wild. Don

Pinsnscrews
09-26-2014, 11:58 PM
We have a Cabela's Outpost. I've been in once, and was underwhelmed.

Second floor between the Cafe serving Elk Burgers and the Home Accessories where the Mrs. likes to buy comforters, throw pillows and candles...(at least that is where the video games are located at my local Cabelas.)

Most of my reloading stuff has been coming from Cabelas. They just have had more of what I am looking for in stock than anyone else.