PDA

View Full Version : The Strategic Importance of Lead

SteveS
09-20-2014, 05:14 PM
I came across this video today and it gave me a reason to stop and think. No more lead foundries? We now depend on others to fill our country's needs? This can't be a good thing.

I know this has probably been talked about before here. This isn't really news but after casting ingots all afternoon, this video kind of brought it home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgTr-D9royE

WILCO
09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
I know this has probably been talked about before here.

Yep. Some folks don't get it.

jcwit
09-20-2014, 06:02 PM
It's my understanding the smelting operations in Missouri were foreign owned anyway. Plus they were given years to comply and refused.

Regarding supplies,

http://bearingarms.com/its-the-end-of-the-primary-lead-smelter-in-herculaneum-and-i-feel-fine/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/
(http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/)
Take note where most of the lead is used.

shooter93
09-20-2014, 06:43 PM
And the truth is we have never been ready for any war we've ever entered. Our supply and manufacturing plants weren't set up for massive production of war materials. We geared up quickly though. We could still do it if we have to. Maybe not quite as easily as before but doable for sure. Cut the red tape and move on. The Pentagon was built in a year using 1930's technologies and is still the world's largest office building. As sad as it seems the shape this country is in I still have faith in our ability to rise to the occasion. And keep in mind a during number of our "shortages" you could always get the commodity....it just had a drastic rise in price that didn't come down after the "shortage" was over.

SteveS
09-20-2014, 06:52 PM
We could still do it if we have to. Maybe not quite as easily as before but doable for sure.

Well, I guess that's true. It does seem rather short sighted though.

jmort
09-20-2014, 07:06 PM
There is no shortage of lead. Lead is useful.

jcwit
09-20-2014, 07:41 PM
There is no shortage of lead. Lead is useful.

It's for sure there is no shortage of lead at my house.

WallyM3
09-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Let's see...a 10% loss due to the shut down, and a 2% accretion each year thereafter...

Mathematically, we'll never run out of lead, but at the end of an asymptotic curve it'll be measured in tablespoons.

So we import.

Gator 45/70
09-20-2014, 09:09 PM
Common Core Math raises its ugly head.

JSnover
09-20-2014, 09:22 PM
As I understand it the majority of our needs for lead are already met through recycling, including casters. Ive bought maybe 1% of my lead new. The rest was reclaimed from numerous sources.

Three44s
09-21-2014, 12:34 AM
In a war, how do you recycle? Pick up your enemies bullets and recast and shoot back?

I will say this however: Take the Nuclear program of WWII ........ the Government will do whatever it feels like if backed into a corner by an enemy. Worker safety be danged ........

In our area, we have Hanford .......... during the Cold War it was petal to the metal over Plutonium and they are still cleaning up decades later.

The greatest shortage may well be folks with practical experience to do the work. At the start of WWII we had a nation with more self-sufficient citizens ....... now, they can't even tie their shoes.

Three 44s

JSnover
09-21-2014, 08:57 AM
In a war, how do you recycle? Pick up your enemies bullets and recast and shoot back?

Three 44s
http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/09/u-s-ammunition-industry-to-survive-closure-of-lead-smelter/
Ammunition production is not expected to be impacted.

SteveS
09-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Ammunition production is not expected to be impacted.

I don't think there will be much problem in our every day use of lead but if there is another world war, I think this could put us at a distinct disadvantage.

sparky45
09-21-2014, 09:45 AM
What do you mean "if there is another world war" , the Pope has said we are entering the start of WW3 already.
I tend to believe the message.

SteveS
09-21-2014, 09:57 AM
...the Pope has said we are entering the start of WW3 already.

I suppose it's possible but I don't call what's going on now a world war. Most of the world isn't at war. There's a lot of skirmishing going on but we are not to the point of, or really even close to, world war status.

JSnover
09-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't think there will be much problem in our every day use of lead but if there is another world war, I think this could put us at a distinct disadvantage.
I'm pretty sure lead mining and production would resume/increase and the ammunition factories would run 24-7. There is a LOT of lead under the U.S. and the mining industry is not dead.

sparky45
09-21-2014, 11:25 AM
I suppose you still think that the Vietnam War was just a "police action" as described by the Libtards. That War included all the major players, Russia, China, U.S., ect. right on down the line. Police action my ***!!

I suppose it's possible but I don't call what's going on now a world war. Most of the world isn't at war. There's a lot of skirmishing going on but we are not to the point of, or really even close to, world war status.

Comrade Mike
09-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I thought we had taken the tin foil hats off about this already.

The plant was out of regulations and was no longer economically viable. If it's cheaper to import than produce domestically then so be it.

fouronesix
09-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Domestic lead? "Nah, not important. Just get it from China. No big deal, Doesn't bother me I got a WW stash, etc., etc.". Seems to me the lead industry was/is just an easy mark. Tip of the iceberg so to speak. Incrementalism, don't worry, be happy.

How about fossil fuels? Just get it from where? Burn Willy diesel of course. Oh, don't worry about the details of where it comes from… it's green! [But don't tell anyone it's subsidized out the ying yang by uncle sugar and only requires the equivalent of 1.5 gals of dead dinosaurs to produce 1 gal. of the green koolaid fuel.]

JSnover
09-21-2014, 03:25 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-23/last-u-s-lead-smelter-to-shutter-in-ore-rich-missouri.html
It is a shame but no one in the industry is worried about lead shortages. Mining will continue. Smelting will be done in Canada and Mexico. As mentioned in other posts, the smelting was no longer economically viable and the toxins were too much of a liability. When your facility is a superfund site your days are numbered.

SteveS
09-21-2014, 03:47 PM
I suppose you still think that the Vietnam War was just a "police action" as described by the Libtards. That War included all the major players, Russia, China, U.S., ect. right on down the line. Police action my ***!!

And sparky, I suppose you think that Vietnam was a world war, which puts you in a special kind of 'tard' category.

I'm pretty sure lead mining and production would resume/increase and the ammunition factories would run 24-7. There is a LOT of lead under the U.S. and the mining industry is not dead.

I'm pretty sure that's true but having to start from scratch looks like a definite disadvantage.

It might be a good thing. Foundries are polluters. Having it done in another country could be a good thing as long as the supply is assured.