PDA

View Full Version : Lyman bottom pour

41 mag fan
09-20-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm liking to plug off the hole in my pot... what would be a good object to use that would ensure it doesn't leak?
Thank for any suggestions

labradigger1
09-20-2014, 07:45 PM
What lyman pot?
I purchased an older lyman 61 that had been plugged by the former owner.
I bought it in case i ever needed parts for my others. Not sure what he plugged it with but it does not leak a drop ever.

41 mag fan
09-20-2014, 07:49 PM
What happened was I took the bolts out of the arm that holds the rod and handle die to cleaning it out... there's nuts underneath the pot inside the furnace body. .. so without literally taking it apart the handle and all won't work now. .. plus I'm more leaning to ladle casting instead.... as I like the quality of casts better... heck I'm just going to bit a new Lyman furnace for ladle casting and eventually year this one apart and fish out the nuts

41 mag fan
09-20-2014, 07:51 PM
I hate my spell check on this tapatalk... sorry for the misspelled words

labradigger1
09-20-2014, 07:57 PM
They are not difficult to dissamble and reassemble if you want to bring it back to bottom pour. Not much room for a ladle in a 10# pot but plenty in a 20#'r.
Some moulds prefer a ladle and some a bottom pour.

41 mag fan
09-20-2014, 08:00 PM
I am looking at the Lyman big mouth casting furnace. .. heck for less than $40 if I don't like it I can use it to blend alloys ect.... I've found I can pour better casts with all my molds vs the bottom pour

Stonecrusher
09-21-2014, 12:40 PM
I just ran a tap into the spout. 10-32 maybe? Put in a screw and snugged it up. Never a leak. An external cap might be better as it would be easier to switch back if you want to in the future, You wouldn't have to worry about the threads inside the spout causing problems. If I was to do it over again, that is what I would do.

41 mag fan
09-21-2014, 12:42 PM
I took a drill bit and drilled it out just a tad this morning and put a penny nail from my framing gun down into it. .. the head of the ball covered the hole from the inside of the pot perfectly. ..I filed it up and had 1 drip and that's been it so far

Stonecrusher
09-21-2014, 12:48 PM
That sounds like an even better idea! Quick, easy and reversible.

41 mag fan
09-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Yup...I decide to ever go back to a bottom pour I can take the nail out and take the pot off and fish out the nuts and put it all back together again