PDA

View Full Version : CFE Pistol?

Blackwater
09-20-2014, 02:58 PM
I got a lb. of this recently, but haven't had time to load it yet. Hodgdon't Annual Manual 2014 says it'll give 100+ fps. more than any other powder in their listings with the 200 gr. SWC's in .45 ACP, and that surely caught my eye. Have any of you tried this powder in that application yet, and if so, how's the accuracy. Power without accuracy is just "sound and fury signifying nothing," as ol' Shakespere put it. Any other uses you have found it to be particularly noteworthy would also be interesting.

Now if we could just BUY some more of the stuff ..... !!!

tazman
09-20-2014, 03:43 PM
I have done some fairly extensive(by my standards) testing of CFE pistol in 38 special and 9mm. At the loadings specified for these 2 cartridges on the Hodgdon data site, the powder performs precisely as listed. In some instances I get a bit more velocity than they post as my barrel is an inch or so longer than the test barrel.
Accuracy in my 9mm is very good, the equal of my other powders. Accuracy in my 38 special is superb. I have switched to CFE pistol entirely in my 38.
The powder burns cleanly leaving little to no residue in the barrel. Can't really comment on smoke as I lube with White Label Xlox.

MaryB
09-21-2014, 12:56 AM
If it is like CFE223 I think part of the accuracy is how well it meters.

tazman
09-21-2014, 10:13 AM
If it is like CFE223 I think part of the accuracy is how well it meters.

That is undoubtedly true. It meters very well. Small granules/flakes. Also a fairly dense powder. It doesn't take up much room in the case. I haven't tested to see if it is position sensisitive or temperature sensitive or not.
When I chronographed the loads, the extreme spread was fairly small.