PDA

View Full Version : Cow-Belle on Guard

ohland
09-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Today was really so uninspiring. Belle got some exercise in rousting the cattle a few times.
This boover didn't play like the rest. Belle would rush the cattle and bark. Most of them would move out, but this cow did nothing but stand there.

They came back up the hill, and Belle went out to roust them out again. Thank goodness that the cattle came in, because there were few doves, and we either missed most of them or let them fly in too close before we saw them....

All in all, I think Belle was convinced that it was worth coming along....

PS. To those thinking that Belle is a wolf-beast slavering for the flesh of succulent red angus, I would suggest that she has her priorities straight. Note the extremely scared boover running for it's life as my dog looks up in the tree for a bird.
Expecting to go out Mon (22d) and do the dove thing early, then swing by the Sugar River and try our luck with Woodcock. Far away from cattle or moo-ly cows.

starmac
09-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Is it your cows?

ohland
09-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Is it your cows?

No, please note that she does _not_ continue to chase them. These are _not_ dairy cattle (which might not milk as well if rousted). I would rather _not_ buy a few head of red angus because my dog went into the full throated baying chase mode. It is all closely cropped pasture (except around the old foundations).

We have known the farmer since he was a teenager (looong ago). Hunted his farm a bit. Help him with his guns. No desire to have a full stampede, if that is where this is going. Really, if there are no cattle within 75 yards, Belle does not go out after them. Barnyard safari, anyone?

With my success at deer hunting the next farm over, I would be severely tempted to buy a full beef if it came to it.

starmac
09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I have always liked red angus better than black, for no good reason other than the color.

10x
09-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I have always liked red angus better than black, for no good reason other than the color.

Taste the same though...

Bad Water Bill
09-20-2014, 06:13 AM

Are you a closet RACIST?[smilie=s:

hiram1
09-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Ya what he said

Plate plinker
09-20-2014, 09:42 AM
I doubt it I think he is probably partial to redheads.;)

starmac
09-20-2014, 12:16 PM
You both just might be right. lol

montana_charlie
09-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Is it your cows?
No, please note that she does _not_ continue to chase them.
We have known the farmer since he was a teenager (looong ago).
It appears that you are okay, then.

There was a neighbor out here whose dog would leave home and chase cows (beef cattle).
Eventually, somebody shot it because a good bull was 'ruined' trying to evade the dog.

ohland
09-20-2014, 01:27 PM
In the seven or so times that she has stayed out overnight, it never was for cattle or moo-ly cows. Next farm down the valley has moo-ly cows, and we do not hunt birds there (grouse crashed in the 90's).