PDA

View Full Version : Simple questions

dclark2009
09-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Does any one know the difference in the brinnel and the lothenore table?

Can anyone describe the correlation of alloys hardness vs velocity?

Can bullets be casted hard enough that a gas check would be irrelevant , jw?

Pros and cons of water dropping cast bullets?

The benifits of powder coating bullets and the best way to do said powder coating

And who produces these hexagon hollow point molds and your experience with such

Keep in mind, firearm is a super blackhawk .44 mag 7.5 barrel

Any help help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

runfiverun
09-18-2014, 02:01 AM
simple ???
one...NO
two....there ain't one
three...yeah but not from anything we work with.
four...pros they cool off faster and have a harder shell, cons they have a harder shell [shrug]
five... umm you don't have to lube them, and shaking and baking.
six...they are called penta pin hollow points [mihec does and maybe NOE] my experience is that the boolit has a hole in the nose and are more difficult to make.

if you outline your intended uses for this revolver I'd be more helpful.
if for hunting stuff kinda big then the LEE 300 would be a good boolit.
if sorta big on down then something with a flat nose of 240grs will do fine.
if poking holes in paper then a 200gr plain base would be a great choice.
if a lever gun is involved then a rnfp is definitely needed, if not it's still a good idea.
if you wanna tip over some steel stuff a couple hundred yards away then a flat nose with a kinda streamlined shape and a gas check would be a helpful type of mold to have on hand.

Jupiter7
09-18-2014, 02:15 AM
Simple answer....read more stickies, buy lyman cast bullet manual

cbrick
09-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits dclark,

No one is trying to be a smart *ss it's just that your post reads like your looking for the one, simple answer to cure all for each of your questions. That's very common with new casters by the way but that just plain and simple doesn't exist.

The first tip I can give you regarding hardness vs velocity is to forget the common old wives tale that harder is better, it really is.

Depending on your intended use and alloy for your 44 a HP, hexagonal or round HP may or may not be an advantage.

As was said, more info from you would enable us to be of considerably more help.

Rick

nhrifle
09-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Long night at work and a newbie posts questions that give me a headache :groner:

Welcome aboard dclark!

Keep things as simple on yourself as possible. Our hobby can be the pursuit of exacting science, but there is no need for it. Get yourself a little lead, a way to liquify it, pick out a mould that makes you smile, and figure out how you want to lube the boolits. Cast 'em up and go shoot 'em!

44man
09-18-2014, 10:46 AM
First question, I don't know but the rest only has one answer---YES. No need for a GC if you water drop WW boolits and NO HP is needed in a .44. Hard is better for accuracy in any case.
I use heavy boolits in the .44, 300 to 330 gr, WLN, RNFP ( the Lee 310 is super) and it might have killed more deer, quicker except for the .475L, BFR.
I never delved into powder coatings and use Felix lube, Satan's or MML.
My SBH might be the most reliable deer killing machine ever. Most shots behind the shoulder because I like shoulder meat.
I want to show what a .44 can do with a hard boolit. 116749 I shot this one in the neck. Do you REALLY want a HP?
Best is the .475 with a hard, near a WFN, 22 BHN. I shot this buck facing me on a down slope at 76 yards. I hit him under the chin, boolit took out the neck, a bunch of short ribs, went over all the innards and exited here. 116750 I lost no meat at all. Texas heart shot in reverse. 99% of deer hit with the 420 boolit are legs up, white belly when I come out of recoil.
I don't even want a softer boolit in the .44. Friend shot two with softer, sideways, the boolit deformed the nose on bone, turned 90*, busted up the guts and he found the boolits in the hams. Mine go straight.

1911KY
09-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Does any one know the difference in the brinnel and the lothenore table?

Can anyone describe the correlation of alloys hardness vs velocity?

Can bullets be casted hard enough that a gas check would be irrelevant , jw?

Pros and cons of water dropping cast bullets?

The benifits of powder coating bullets and the best way to do said powder coating

And who produces these hexagon hollow point molds and your experience with such

Keep in mind, firearm is a super blackhawk .44 mag 7.5 barrel

Any help help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

A google search for lothenore table turns up nada! Stick with brinnel.

Here is a thread on 44's and gas checks. I am sure there are more if you want to search it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?17249-Gas-checks-needed-44-mag

Water dropping Con - potentially calling on a visit from the tinsel fairy

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?4646-The-Tinsel-Fairy

Powder coating is not as messy as traditional lubing and can be done a few ways. Here is a good place to begin researching.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

44man
09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Forgot to mention, my .475 and .500 JRH boolits are PB, shot near max. You can find a copy of the Lee 310 without a GC too.
We shoot a PB, water dropped from a .454 at max also with super accuracy.
Those little cups are taken from outer space with a mining ship, considering the cost.
Hard boolits do NOT lead a bore, just fit and lube proper. Snot on the boolits do not buy it.

prs
09-18-2014, 10:58 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

The above is not the info you seek, but that which you may need most. Hope you eventually find the answers you desire, but it will take some time. We will help as we can.

prs