PDA

View Full Version : Linotype?

jleneave
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I have read several post about people getting linotype from a print shop. What do print shops use linotype for? What does it look like at a print shop? What is the going price for it /lbs? Sorry about the newbie questions. Thanks in advance.

ANeat
02-01-2008, 05:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linotype_machine

Ohio Rusty
02-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally, when typesetting was done, each individual letter was cast on it's own lead post or column. If you were going to set this sentence to print it, each individual letter would be set one after another to produce the words, and spacers were put between to create the spaces between words, and spacing lines between sentences to make the lines single or double spaced.. When Linotype was invented, the linotype machine would cast the words in one solid block, making type casting faster and saving time for the printer. What you did was cast a "Line-Of-Type" or shortened, you cast a line o' type (Linotype) The pic below shows some linotype lines that will soon be added to my boolet alloy. ....

Ohio Rusty ><>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/Linotype.jpg

jleneave
02-01-2008, 09:53 PM
OK, I think I see what you are saying. In the pic above is the entire block, letters and all, linotype? Or am I still missing it?

JSH
02-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I think a sticky with some of the good the bad and theugly on some of the alloys that are out there would be in line?
I mean I just ran across about 500 pounds of babit and turned it down. Priced right but frow what i have read here it is not a desirable alloy. Then, I turn around and read there is a lot of tin in it. So, maybe in moderation it would be usable, say mixed with some WW.
Or can one 'cook" the copper and harder stuff out of it?
Felix, do you have any formulas as to what is in some of these alloys, in laymans terms?
Jeff

Ohio Rusty
02-01-2008, 10:20 PM
That is all linotype, the letter lines and the spacer lines inbetween. Sometimes those cast lines may be a foot long or more, depending on the size of paper they are printing on. That is a separate line spacer lying next to the block. All of it will melt and it is harder than wheel weight lead. If you can find it cheap, get it because the age of computer printing is rendering linotype obsolete.
Ohio Rusty

jleneave
02-02-2008, 12:27 AM
That is all linotype, the letter lines and the spacer lines inbetween. Sometimes those cast lines may be a foot long or more, depending on the size of paper they are printing on. That is a separate line spacer lying next to the block. All of it will melt and it is harder than wheel weight lead. If you can find it cheap, get it because the age of computer printing is rendering linotype obsolete.
Ohio Rusty

Thanks for getting me straightened out. I appreciate it.

cbrick
03-15-2008, 02:13 AM
I just stumbled across this thread and thought you might find this article on bullet alloys informative and helpful.

Cast Bullet Alloys (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm)

Rick

jleneave
03-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Cbrick,thanks I will check it out.

Sherlok
03-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi jleneave,

PM sent.

Sherlok