PDA

View Full Version : Ranch dog 165fp help with marlin 30-30

mikeyman
09-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Newbie reloader using cast but plenty experience j-word reloading....

Hi all got the first boolits ready to go but had a question about COAL. I seated the test round to the crimp grove on the boolet which gives me a coal of 2.425 which seems too short to me. Is that a problem? Then I chambered this round and the base of the projectile is lightly marked by the lands. Is this a problem? I can try to post a pic if it will help? Sorry if stupid questions:confused:

Sensai
09-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Not a stupid question, none are, but I don't quite understand what you're getting at. In one sentence you say that the OAL seems too short, and in another you say that the projectile is lightly marked by the lands. If the projectile is lightly marked by the lands, you probably shouldn't go any longer with the OAL. It sounds like the OAL is about perfect for that chamber. By the way, I don't think it's the "base" of the boolit that's marked by the lands, maybe the ogive? :mrgreen: The other factor to consider about the OAL is if it reliably feeds through the action. If it does, I think you're set! Best wishes

Char-Gar
09-16-2014, 03:23 PM
If the rear part of the bullet nose is lightly marked by the rifling that is a good thing. Make another dummy round without the crimp and see if it loads and ejects without having the bullet pulled by the tension from the rifling. If it does not you are good to go. Of course crimp the finished rounds.

mikeyman
09-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Ok thanks guys - just that my manuals all have loads with a lot longer overall length so I was wondering if too short maybe too much pressure? I am starting low powder weight so that will help.

stubert
09-16-2014, 04:00 PM
A lead bullet will be shorter than a jacketed bullet of the same weight. You are probably not deeper in the case, just a shorter bullet to start with.

runfiverun
09-16-2014, 06:59 PM
you are dealing with a cast boolit, they don't conform to the books too well.
you gotta wing it a bit and make it work in your gun.
the engraving is what you want it is helping align the boolit with the bore and if you have good extraction then that's about perfect.
what you gotta do now is shoot some and tinker with the load a bit.

JWFilips
09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
In My Marlin 336 ( Circa 1970's) The RD boolit Crimps in the groove but not at the top ( flush). A tiny gap shows above the crimp. If I pull a chambered round it will show light engraving. For me this is golden. Usually the lightest posted load is ok to start with. For what it is worth I believe my OAL is 2.435"
Never held much stock in COL for cast boolits....just too many variables. With those I always let the gun decide the COL I always start on the lands...but then again I away load on the light side.
Hope this helps
Jim

mikeyman
09-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the responses, tested some loads using IMR3031 and was not impressed with the results. Best 5 shot group using a scope at 80 yards was 2.5 inches. Started with 24g (1700fps)and went up 27g 2000fps) in increments. Could have something to do with the 10lb trigger (not kidding) but was using a lead sled so??? These boolets were air cooled only, gas checked, sized to .311 and lubed. Maybe I should try water dropping, will a harder bullet help accuracy potentially? Thanks...

mikeyman
09-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Yes it's a remlin 336 - the trigger is an abomination someone at the plant should be taken out back for letting that rifle out the door. Will try WD the next test loads to see if that helps. Brownells is back ordered on the wild west happy trigger which seems to be the easiest fix.

olafhardt
09-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Take the rifle (unloaded of course), cock it, push it down hard on the hammer on something like a table and pull the trigger. Repeat this several times and you will burnish the surfaces involved with the trigger. This often makes a remarkable improvement in trigger. If it doesn't work I will refund my entire fee. If it does work, let us know.