PDA

View Full Version : Ideas using rubberized paint on trailer hitch

.45Cole
09-15-2014, 11:26 PM
So I was going to repaint the trailer hitch and some of the iron body (small enclosed) and the chains had rubbed the paint off where they rest over the tongue. So i figured I would rubberize paint the tongue, and then the floor of the trailer.

Anybody have experience with the brush on truck bed coatings? I have heard that the underside coatings are a horrible idea, but a textured truck bed coating might look/hold up nice...

I was thinking Hurculiner or duplicolor and I could spray gun it if I had to.

TXGunNut
09-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Used according to directions I think it will do fine, like any paint prep is very important. My brother is rebuilding a 1955 Willys, I told him it would be a great floor paint. I've even seen it on ATV's.

Mk42gunner
09-16-2014, 02:36 AM
The truck bed liner will work, but it will eventually abrade off; it will just take a bit longer than paint.

I did the floorboard of my 77 Ford with I think Duplicolor's truck bed coating. It lasted pretty well, but it has worn to bare metal where my boot heel rests. The rest of it is still looking good and not separating from the metal, even where the front driveshaft tried to come through the floor (long expensive story).

If I could afford the gas for a 7-8 mpg truck, I would still be driving it daily.

Robert

.45Cole
09-16-2014, 07:48 PM
I still almost cry over selling my '77 F150 custom (styleside, T18, tons of junkyard upgrades) for money when I graduated college. Sniff :(

C. Latch
09-16-2014, 07:59 PM
I wonder if that stuff is too thick to make a decent bullet coating?

(just kidding!!!)

loaded303
09-16-2014, 08:01 PM
I suggest a 2k finish like Raptor bed liner. It has an activator that mixes in. However it calls for good prep and an epoxy or etch first wet on wet. This is the most durable finish you can apply. Leave the stir and go stuff for the kids little red wagon.

MaryB
09-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Powder coat would stand up well and could be done with a home gun and a toaster oven if the hitch can be removed.

.45Cole
09-17-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking now that I want to rubberize half the front of it, and then angle down around the sides and run the rocker panels to the back. Upon inspection of the trailer it has tons of flea bites on the front, and some rust bubbles on the bottom sides. The rubberized paint will help keep this from happening. And hopefully looks good, I might add sand to the paint for more of a texture, or spray it.

This is going to be a longer project than I thought as I will have to wire brush/ grind out the rust and then use body filler before painting.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2014, 02:30 AM
One thing I learned on four different ships is that you have to get all the rust or there is no sense in even starting the job. There are paint on rust converters no that will chemically change the rust to something harmless, I don't have much experience with them, they were just getting into the fleet when I left my last ship.

If powder coating is what we used to call flame spray, I wouldn't do it. It will work okay until it gets chipped, then you get rust forming underneath and it is a PITA to remove. (We had four .50 cal mounts done on my first ship, they did well until we used them and the empty cases chipped the coating.)

Robert